Are you a populist quiz

Barryd999

Won't work for me! Maybe it's over subscribed. :-)

A populist is someone who only wants to be told what they want to hear, and dismisses everything they find disagreeable as unreliable because it comes from an "elite" of some sort.

A populist Politician is someone who tells the disaffected what they want to hear, rather than what they ought to hear, who therefore becomes widely popular. If that leads to the populist being elected, he will consolidate his position by offering his followers more of what they want to hear, whether or not this is economically sustainable. Eventually, by this process, they will bankrupt their country. Think Greece, Venezuela, or Zimbabwe, for example.

The Greek government hid its debts (courtesy Goldman Sachs and others) in order to maintain its relatively high spending without increasing taxes (which the rich in any case avoided paying), and crashed the economy. Chavez in Venezuela maintained government spending when the oil price collapsed (Venezuela is an oil economy) in order to maintain his popularity with his backers, and crashed the economy. Mugabe in Zimbabwe maintained unaffordable payments to "independence war" veterans (his most loyal backers) and crashed the economy.

Three very different countries, all brought down by populist (but politically very different) governments using (in different ways) state funds to keep themselves in power - until the tide went out and they were caught skinny-dipping! All were supported in those ventures by the populist voters, whose unquestioning loyalty had been bought with the non-existant cash.

So, beware populists bearing gifts, and stick with people who give you unwelcome truths - even if they do sometimes an elite, the establishment, or experts. You know you'll be better off in the end! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-24 12:55 PM

A Remoaner/Federalist is someone who only wants to be told what they want to hear, and dismisses everything they find disagreeable as unreliable because it comes from an Brexiteer.

:D .......

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 9:17 AM

A Remoaner/Federalist is someone who only wants to be told what they want to hear, and dismisses everything they find disagreeable as unreliable because it comes from an Brexiteer.

So, as usual, you deal with the point by misrepresenting it as something totally different. The original refers to populists in general, not Brexit. However, I think your reply rather illustrates my point. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 12:40 PM

So, as usual, you deal with the point by misrepresenting it as something totally different. The original refers to populists in general, not Brexit. However, I think your reply rather illustrates my point. :-D

Are you not a Federalist?......and a Remoaner? 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 4:11 PM

No, on both counts.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 5:43 PM

No, on both counts.

Que? 8-) ........

You heard it first here folks........Brians not a Remoaner(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ....... (lol) ...........

Have you come over to the dark side Brian? :-S ...........

Nah stupid question >:-) .........

So what are you Brian? ;-) .............

A Status Quo'ist? :D ............

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 5:59 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 5:43 PM

No, on both counts.

Que? 8-) ........

You heard it first here folks........Brians not a Remoaner(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ....... (lol) ...........

Have you come over to the dark side Brian? :-S ...........

Nah stupid question >:-) .........

So what are you Brian? ;-) .............

A Status Quo'ist? :D ............

Ah, you poor, sad, people who roam the earth in closed groups that someone else dreamed up for you to join! :-)

I'm still waiting for someone - anyone - to convince me that leaving the EU is a better prospect for the UK than remaining in it. No-one has yet succeeded, which reinforces my view that leaving is not the better prospect. All I hear are airy assertions that lack evidence, and waffle about future deals with no evidence as to who wants them, how they might benefit the UK, or at what cost. So, I'm still waiting.

We have about 25% of our major businesses, 50% of our shares, 60% of our manufacturing, 70% of our rail companies, and on, and on, in foreign ownership. That, IMO, is a far greater long term threat to UK democracy, and to its economy, than any present shortcomings in the EU.

I'm not in favour of federalising Europe. I think "closer EU union" has already gone too far, but I also think that is becoming evident, and that the EU will have to relax some of its present measures in the face of political resistance in a number of states. If it fails to listen, and act voluntarily, it will simply get pushed.

But, as I don't think there is the remotest possibility of the EU federalising, that prospect causes me no anxiety. In a nutshell, I think you, and a large number of other Brexiters, are fretting over the improbable while completely ignoring the bleeding obvious. But hey, that's the history of democracy for you. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 7:02 PM

But, as I don't think there is the remotest possibility of the EU federalising, that prospect causes me no anxiety. In a nutshell, I think you, and a large number of other Brexiters, are fretting over the improbable while completely ignoring the bleeding obvious. But hey, that's the history of democracy for you. :-D

Which is why Macron is saying the EU should become a empire ;-) ..........and Merkel wants an EU army *-) ..........

Perhaps you need to update yourself on the rise and fall of empires/Reich's Brian? :D .........

Federalist or otherwise ;-) ........

Archived