Awkward ...

Birdbrain

Not really, from your link.

"Earlier this year, a court in the Netherlands ruled that by 2030 Shell must cut its CO2 emissions by 45% compared to 2019 levels. The decision only applies in the Netherlands"

Mind it would have been awkward for Johnson if the announcement had been made whilst COP 26 was still going on.

Shell (originally a brittish company) have always done the majority of their business from the UK, the headquarters being in Netherlands was a legacy of joining with Royal Dutch.

It's good to see it now streamlining it's business, will it make a differance to my cousin who is an executive with Shell, no he will continue to work out of London.

It's of no benefit to the UK.....it's tax avoidance to line the shareholders pockets.

"Analysts said share buybacks could more than double, enhancing Shell’s ability to reward investors demanding increasingly high returns to hold oil and gas stocks.

Shell’s Dutch A shares are liable for a 15 per cent withholding tax, in effect restricting share buybacks to the UK B shares, which are subject to no such levy. Shell’s B share purchases each quarter are capped by regulators at 25 per cent of the average daily trading volume, or roughly $2.5bn."

https://www.ft.com/content/da1e14c9-2a4a-4b1e-8f44-7b4eae14f7f9

You've got a long way to go yet.

"Brexit has led to around 4,000 UK companies setting up shop in the EU-member state of Estonia, mostly by registering for the country’s e-residency scheme boosting the tiny Baltic states tax revenue by 60%."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/world/europe/uk-brexit-estonia-business.html

Birdbrain - 2021-11-17 6:06 AM

The girls celebrating as only they can that Britain is open for business ... Poor darlings

Not if you are a Gin producer from Scotland, Shell fisherman from Wales or pretty much any business that ships to the EU. Check out that program I linked to.

The Netherlands are happy though. Thousands of businesses and jobs have shipped out there from the Uk.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-11-17 12:07 PM

The girls celebrating as only they can that Britain is open for business ... Poor darlings

Not if you are a Gin producer from Scotland, Shell fisherman from Wales or pretty much any business that ships to the EU. Check out that program I linked to.

The Netherlands are happy though. Thousands of businesses and jobs have shipped out there from the Uk.

That must be why we have so many job vacancies.........coz so many of our jobs have shipped out the UK *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-11-17 1:43 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-11-17 12:07 PM

That must be why we have so many job vacancies.........coz so many of our jobs have shipped out the UK *-) ..........

Remember that among those job vacancies more than 106,000 are clinical staff within the NHS

Seven years to train a doctor, hope you have a strong ticker.

PS Triple wammy of a break in the state pension triple lock, increasing fuel costs and inflation now at 4.1% all looking good for the Tories. Oh and a little bit of corruption, from Johnson jnr and sexual harassment from Johnson snr. You must be so proud of your boy?

Barryd999 - 2021-11-16 10:11 PM

Anyone see Dispatches on Monday.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/did-brexit-work-for-business-dispatches

I missed it on tv but just watched on Demand. It made thoroughly sad viewing to see the way previously thriving businesses have been trashed by the sheer lunacy of Brexit.

The Lobster business at Anglesey is doomed. Instead of exporting direct she now has to send her Lobsters to Scotland....only to come all the way back down south, passing Wales where they started from!

The Gin guy in Scotland, his export trade is finished. Those two businesses in particular stood out as unlike others who can, and will, simply move their business out of UK, they can't as the product is in the UK.

Brexit has forced UK firms to pay tariffs on up to £9.5bn of exports to the EU despite Johnson claiming he struck a “tariff-free” deal.

More than a quarter of small firms say they are now considering moving some of their European operations out of Britain, while 16 per cent have already done so, Channel 4’s Dispatches programme will report.

The revelations come after the Treasury’s watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, warned the Brexit trade deal will cut GDP by 4 per cent, swiping £80bn a year from the UK economy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-tariffs-boris-johnson-trade-deal-b1957793.html

Yep. Brexiteers will tell you that we expected some of this of course but what they dont seem to be able to tell you is what the long term plan is. We cant continue like we are as if we are still in the EU because as we can see thats scuppered or at best damaged and set to diminish further. Trade deals for more of the same around the world seem not to mount up to a great hill of beans so what is the plan. What will be our USP moving forward? It was going to be Singapore on Thames but they seem to have bottled that one.

The worry is of course that not only does your average Brexiteer have no idea what the plan is but its clear nobody in government does either. Fly by the seat of your pants governing is no way to move towards the Sunlit uplands is it but thats what you got.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-17 4:58 PM

Yep. Brexiteers will tell you that we expected some of this of course but what they dont seem to be able to tell you is what the long term plan is. We cant continue like we are as if we are still in the EU because as we can see thats scuppered or at best damaged and set to diminish further. Trade deals for more of the same around the world seem not to mount up to a great hill of beans so what is the plan. What will be our USP moving forward? It was going to be Singapore on Thames but they seem to have bottled that one.

The worry is of course that not only does your average Brexiteer have no idea what the plan is but its clear nobody in government does either. Fly by the seat of your pants governing is no way to move towards the Sunlit uplands is it but thats what you got.

Barry still "not posting on political threads anymore" ... Well done Barry

Birdbrain - 2021-11-17 6:11 PM

It was with a heavy heart (lol) when I returned from my four month tour where I got out there and "Got a life" to discover that Chatterbollox was in need of my input. Now perhaps you can tell us what the long term post Brexit plan is for the route to the Sunlit Uplands.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-18 11:15 AM

It was with a heavy heart (lol) when I returned from my four month tour where I got out there and "Got a life" to discover that Chatterbollox was in need of my input. Now perhaps you can tell us what the long term post Brexit plan is for the route to the Sunlit Uplands.

Whats your four month tour that you keep feeling the need to tell everyone about got to do with you claiming you aint posting on political threads anymore ... I know you did about a month at Flamborough in that farmers field but your claim was way before that

Birdbrain - 2021-11-18 1:24 PM

Whats your four month tour that you keep feeling the need to tell everyone about got to do with you claiming you aint posting on political threads anymore ... I know you did about a month at Flamborough in that farmers field but your claim was way before that

I did a month on the Yorkshire coast from June and then toured the Scottish Isles, South western Scotland and the lake District. Got back two or three weeks ago. I got disillusioned with politics before that though and just stopped posting about it especially when I was away and had other stuff to do. So when I said I had stopped posting on politics on "another forum" I was of course telling the truth.

I can see though now that you have missed my input so I am back!!! No, dont thank me.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-18 2:25 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-11-18 1:24 PM

I did a month on the Yorkshire coast from June and then toured the Scottish Isles, South western Scotland and the lake District. Got back two or three weeks ago. I got disillusioned with politics before that though and just stopped posting about it especially when I was away and had other stuff to do. So when I said I had stopped posting on politics on "another forum" I was of course telling the truth.

I can see though now that you have missed my input so I am back!!! No, dont thank me.

Yes we know you did a month in your farmers field at Flamborough, youve told us often enough that I feel I was there with ya ... As for "telling the truth" Im sorry to say you and truth dont mix

Archived