Awning for Motorhome

nora

Hello Carole. If you go to either the Ominstor or Fiamma stalls at the York show, they will give you a good idea of what you are looking for. If you get there early enough most probably they will fit it while you wait. I have seen them do this at other shows and it does not take long and with a minimum of fuss. Howard.

Nora, why don't you look on line first . Get some idea ? We don't use ours never had the reason after the first try....Found it a pain . Put it up and for the life of us we just couldn't get it to go over the door at the top ? Now we are not silly people well .....Had enough of that more trouble than it was worth so brand new wrapped in the bag. If we were in the market for full timing that's the next time i would try it . Only when parked for over a week or so .. Anyways just my thought happy hunting. (lol)

Hiya Lizzy. First off, its not really advisable to put up your awning in bad weather, but what I normally do is wind the awning out about three foot. Unless you have really high winds there should be no problems, and as far as rain is concerned ,this keeps the area in front of the side door dry and also helps stop carrying mud and what have you into the van. It also helps if you check the wind direction before siteing the van as this will help stop driving rain and wind entering each time you open the door. Howard.

We have a Harrison high top free-standing awning. It takes about half hour to put up. The extra space is very useful and it detaches in seconds with a 'j' rail. Means we don't have to pack everything up every time we drive off. I cannot understand why I don't see more of these on sites.

Plenty around Geoff if you look for them. The best i,ve seen so far was at the recent show at Shepton Mallet. What first looked like a large marquee in fact housed a v.w. camper. The whole thing was connected to the roof rack, and by means of a ingenious mechanism unfolded out either side and to the rear. Always on the lookout for self build ideas, and this was one of the best i,ve seen so far. Howard.

Sounds different, its surprising how ingenious some people can be. I wonder if by hiding the vw inside he only pays for a tent? The reason I went for the free-standing awning was I always felt that the roll out types were more a sunshade. They always look very flimsey if the wind gets up, and they can certainly puddle on the roof. Mine has a good frame which is very quick and simple to erect and would certainly withstand most of what the weather can throw at it. I have considered a roll out for that odd occasion when you just pull up short term and want some shade. Perhaps I will fit one above my j rail.

Hi Geoff. Some strange people around don,t you think. They get a letter printed in mmm and it goes straight to their heads. I agree with you that a free standing awning is probably better, and i,ve mentioned this before, that it was only because I already had a Omnistor fitted to the van that I fitted a safari room as a option. At this years Newbury show I was quoted almost £530 for the three panels to go with the awning. I thought this was way over the top as the electric awning only cost £340 including fitting. Foxwells had a stand selling the full front panel which I bought for £115. All I needed then were the two end panels. These came courtesy of my sister who had an old awning from a previous caravan in her attic. First job was to get the measurements right, and for this I needed a flat grass surface to peg out the awning and front panel. We have playing fields not far from where we live, and one evening I took the van over and parking on the out field of the cricket pitch made a start. As luck would have it , two of the local cricket teams turned up and a bit of a barney started with them wanting to start the game and me parked up at long leg. I finally convinced them that I would only be two minutes, and with dire warnings from the home captain that they would not be responsable for any damage the game began. I was not to worried as I had seen them play before, and neither side could hit a boundry even if the game had been moved to the adjoining tennis court. I might have got away with it if I had not asked one the outfielders to hold one end of the tape while I took measurements at the other. Over comes captain bolshie and threatens to remove the van by force, and I in return offered to show him a new position for holding the bat, but in the face of so much opposition decided a dignified withdrawal would be the best option. This I did, pausing at the gates only to give a toot and a cheery two fingered salute before heading for home. No consideration with some people, but at least I had my measurements. The following day I laid the two pieces of canvas on the lawn and carefully cut them to shape. Apart from the odd button, I must admit i,ve never done any sewing, and supprised myself how quickly I picked it up with the loop at the top for the supporting pole and finished edges looking really neat. To get a nice line for the sewing I used the steam iron to mark the seams, but unfortunatly the canvas melted and stuck like glue to the iron. This took ages to remove, but I got round this by placing a damp cloth between canvas and iron. Back to the cricket pitch to make sure everything was right and proper and it was a perfect fit. The only problem now were some unsightly mould stains. This was cured by cramming the panels, one at a time into the washing machine with a pack of dye and a pound of salt which helps the dye take to the material. Again the results were perfect, with the now deep blue canvas looking like new, and matching the awning. The only downsides came at the following sunday dinner when it was discovered there was no salt for cooking, then the next wash of the family smalls all came out a delightful shade of sky blue and the mountings on the washing machine came apart resulting in some expensive repairs. I,ve often thought that until women see the bigger picture, they will never take their rightful place in society, and that mankind must always seek new horizons or stagnate. The next project I have in mind is a trailerless trailer tent, but as this is still at the drawing board stage, you will have to contain your exitement at least for the time being. Howard.

Archived