BAND OF BROTHER

michele

Anyone watch it. I think it's good but then I have a interest through my husband of the war namely No 2 for me. Him all of it .

can't remember the company name but makes good watching .God you cannot imagine it . It has been well put together IMHO .

Anyone care to comment

Also what about Dealiest Catch ..Those men risking life and limb on the Alaskan sea's amazing to watch ..

Hi Michele,

I last night finished watching the last part of the whole box set, which I started about a fortnight ago.

I think its excellent and its the third time I have watched the series through since being given the set a couple of Xmas' ago. The only niggle is the very occasional dig at the brits but our American cousins can't seem to resist that!

If you can get hold of the box set (now often sold off cheap) the extra features and the documentaries are actually worth watching to give more background to the story and how the production was made.

Bob

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Once again we invented it! The phrase 'Band of Brothers' comes from Henry V's stirring speech on the eve of the battle of Agincourt (well, Shakespeare's version of it anyway).

Faced with a French force five times the size of his own small army, Henry enthused them with a magnificent oration. These are just the last three verses.

This story shall the good man teach his son,

And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by

From this day to the ending of the world

But we in it,  shall be remembered.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

And he today that sheds his blood with me,

Shall be my brother, be he ne’er so vile

This day shall gentle his condition. 

And Gentlemen in England now abed,

Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks,

Who fought with us upon St. Crispin’s Day.  

As you all know, that was an away match that England won, mainly due to the English longbow, which was the fifteenth century equivalent of a Cruise missile.

Crispin Crispian by the way refers to St. Crispin's Day but Crispin also had a brother, Crispian, and in those days they both shared the honour!

sorry wont let me attach a picture

Robert it has just been shown again on the history channel ...

I think it was good as well . Saving private Ryan whilst I thought for the poor family to americanised for me.

Last night I watched about the World at War and the Mulberry Harbour .

Brilliant ..

Question,

Why was Winston Churchill not allowed to go to the D Day Landing untill after a couple of days ... silly question but, eizenhour was there and monty.

Is it only because he was a priminster and not a fighter so they had to protect him ?

Apropos Frank's quote from Shakespeare:

....and if you would like to hear an American actor completely murdering those lines then "Renaissance Man" is the film for you. Highlights include the inevitable "Glowwster" instead of "Gloucester".

To paraphrase Spock "It's English Jim, but not as we know it."

Bob

Guest Frank Wilkinson

When the French captured an English (or Welsh) bowman they would cut off the two fingers with which he drew his bowstring. The longbow was greatly feared by the French who had never mastered the technology.

The English archers would taunt the French by holding up their bowstring fingers in what has become the classic 'V' sign.

Hi Michele,

No, I know how it came about, its just that I type with one finger, so you tell them. :-D

Nobody has mentioned pitchfork (singular). Do a google for "Jemima the Great" then have pity on us men in Wales.

It like to lend my box set of "Sharpe's Rifles" to my neighbour in France, but I don't know how well it would go down. My wife has just bought Henry V on DVD. isuppose she'd better close the shutters when she watches it.

Quite correct Frank . I wasnt sure if 602 knew that ?

I wasn't sure if he was asking or knowing if you understand me and my english again.

Yes we used to taunt them that's the English for you we never back down.

What we didn't know was the Henry the v part ..My husband was suprised it was from him .... well done you . This is a history house .. as much as can be.

Frank tell me more ..............about any world war 2 bits please ....

Hi,

Just a bit more to the long bow theme.

When an archer ran out of amunition, he would pick arrows off the ground, and fire them back. But the English bow strings were thinner than the French, so the English could return French arrows, but the English arrow's notches would not fit onto the French bowstrings.

Archived