BSL British Sign Language

michele

Having a moan now . Just wonder how many agree . I get so upset when on TV I see people talking we sit there watching .

What's it really like in a deaf world why with all the money we pay for TV licences can deaf people not have someone whom sign's tucked in the bottom of the screen . After all we can learn to sign but a deaf person can not learn to hear ...........

There I have said it one of my bug bears.

Also another what about all these little old folk that don't have family and dont understand that there TV's will be obsolite soon ?

Poor people can just about manage to keep themselfs warm without having to find money for new Tv's with this HD and the writing going off the screen . 8o| :-(

Hi Michele,

Could it be called Discrimination.

Went to one of our local Sainsburys Supermarkets today, to take a couple of the guys shopping and a cup of tea. NO NO says Sainsburys. Why Bl_ _ _ _ height barrier, therfore cant get the Minibus in, oh well went to the local little cafe on the edge of the Park that's run by the local Churchs, at least they had a cup of tea and cake. Oh and the profits go to charities.

David

typed it once lost the lot hate lap tops .

well David could have a case there really this is what happens to me thats why we have the van so we can travel with them.

Use a stall in town the guy is deaf pure coincidence.Women want's a DVD the guy signals to his ears he's deaf and proceeds' to give her pen & paper she looks at him like he is stupid . I ask what is it you want she say's BGee's music . He didn't have it when I asked . She couldn't say thank you to him or me for translating B****ch how bloody rude can you be . Still I suppose he has this all his life how rude made my blood boil.

And a merry xmas to you love I ended up signing the guy laughed .made his day................ ;-)

Hello Michelle,

I am sure that you have seen some programs (too few) where signing is provided but I noticed that at the Labour Party Conference there was a person signing but the TV companies did not take the opportunity to show this as an aid to deaf viewers. Perhaps deaf people do not support the Labour Party.

Most TV programs these days do however give the facility for sub-titles in English but I understand that multi-language choice subtitles will be/are available. This leaves films seen at the cinema, how do deaf people cope there?

Regards,

Mike.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'd like to put another side to this signing discussion. A year or so ago my wife and I went to see La Boheme at the Lowry Centre in Manchester. This isn't our usual venue for opera but we thought that we'd give it a try.

I think that the Lowry Theatre may be run by the local council, which would account for the political correctness of having someone signing during the entire performance. This really made it hard to concentrate as your eye was forever being drawn to the signer, rather than the spectacle on the stage.

This of course poses the question - do deaf people go to the opera, and if so, why?

Presumably they can't hear it and opera's other facet is the often splendid sets and costumes, but if they have to continuously watch the signing then presumably, they can't even concentrate on that!

Is this political correctness personified, or is there a real need for it, I'd like to know.

The only consolation was that Musetta had a cleavage that you could ski down!

Hello Frank,

You make a very valid point.

Someone signing or sub-titles can be very distracting. I find the latest trend of having a moving news banner at the base of the TV screen during news broadcasts on some channels infuriating. One tends to try and read/see/hear both and concentrating on only one difficult. I, wherever possible, try and avoid these news channels.

Having said that however I am not deaf. If the signing or sub-titles are removed how are deaf people able to get information or enjoy programs, films, live performances. Maybe the answer would be to have special sessions or showings for the deaf but this then becomes disciminatory under our new PC society. Perhaps the answer and comments should come from those more qualified in these matters and hopefully from those "Aurally Impaired".

Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Chapman - 2006-12-22 4:10 PM

Hello Frank,

You make a very valid point.

Someone signing or sub-titles can be very distracting. I find the latest trend of having a moving news banner at the base of the TV screen during news broadcasts on some channels infuriating. One tends to try and read/see/hear both and concentrating on only one difficult. I, wherever possible, try and avoid these news channels.

Having said that however I am not deaf. If the signing or sub-titles are removed how are deaf people able to get information or enjoy programs, films, live performances. Maybe the answer would be to have special sessions or showings for the deaf but this then becomes disciminatory under our new PC society. Perhaps the answer and comments should come from those more qualified in these matters and hopefully from those "Aurally Impaired".

Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Regards,

Mike.

The answer is not special sesions for deaf or blind people, and would not be discrimnatory under our PC society, it comes under rspect for fellow human beings. (there but for the grace of God go I). I get very annoyed when people stare at others less fortunate than themselves. Having worked with people with severe learning difficulties for many years, I now go up to them and ask them if they have a problem!

David

Well here we go .............Signing BSl british sign language is it's own language when we speak we use it at on to go in ......ect . In sign they do not so we might say I am going to the pub tonight to meet my friend.

The sign world would not that would be called SSE sign supported english.

In the bsl world it would read I go tonight pub see friend.

Frank the idea of opera is the story and although they cannot hear the music some people may just be partially deaf and some profoundly deaf .

In this day and age why should they be discriminated against . After all we can learn to sign they cannot learn to hear correct.

When you sign you sign in the box ie, you sign within the space of a tv screen . you never sign out of the box so therefore you would never see someone that signs bend down to touch there shoes to show you that they mean shoes . they use the hand as a shoe. I would be distracted if at a opera or something like a show because I sign so i find it interesting to watch the sign . But guy's you do not have to look at the signer . The reason why you can take it all in as a deaf person is because it is in the box signers also add things like eg, If the man was to walk from the stage

they will add this in long before he walks from the stage . The deaf person know's what is going to happen long before the audiance does ?

i hope this makes a little sense you have to see it in action or learn it to fully understand it .

we have sky TV there is never ever a single film on with sign or a single news item with sign . BAD OR WHAT ? only at the weekend a few deaf programes . deaf people rely on text so much to comunicate also deaf people find it very hard to spell reason being if they cannot hear it as a child ABC they cannot pronounce it therefore how in the hell do you spell it . So thats where the sign comes in .

Imagine closing your eyes and being in a totally quiet world. going home to a quiet house where you cannot hear the dog bark the phone ring make yourself a cuppa sit down relax put the TV on totally quiet ....

You cannot begin to imagine what that must feel like being in your bed dark at night in a silent world. Wondering if anything is going to happen outside if your going to be burgled ..How terrible ....

Just one of my things .....Sorry if I bored you all...

Ps David . I got past that bit I just walk on bye and smile a wicked smile that say's what you staring at i think the look on my face say's it all.

>:-) have been know to ask if I have s**t on my shoe a few times . Then I think it's not worth it it's their problem not mine. I'll get in the pearly gates

and so will you ..take care

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Michele wrote:

Frank the idea of opera is the story and although they cannot hear the music some people may just be partially deaf and some profoundly deaf .
In this day and age why should they be discriminated against . After all we can learn to sign they cannot learn to hear correct.

But with respect Michelle, it isn't. The story is very secondary. I've seen La Boheme several times and in different versions. The last one was set in modern times and featured a motorcycle on stage for some reason! I and most people know the story and the ending already, so why do we go? We go of course for the music first and the spectacle second.

It's easy for you to say "Ignore the person signing" but it's very difficult. I think it was Mike Chapman who said that he found most distracting the banners that scroll across our screens during news programmes, and so do I! How are we supposed to concentrate on what's being said and take in a completely different subject at the bottom of the screen.

It's just the same with opera - we with normal hearing are distracted and deaf people can't concentrate on the limited sound that they may be able to hear or on the spectacle on the stage. There's a balance for everything in life. What may be advantageous for some may be an imposition on many others and I have to say that signing for deaf people at the opera, comes into that category.

I would take a small bet that there wasn't one deaf person at La Boheme that evening and that the whole thing was a typical exercise in council-run political correctness. An exercise by the way that marred the evening for hundreds of others who'd paid a lot of money for their tickets.

Please don't think that I'm in any way against making life fairer or easier for people with disabilities. I believe very strongly that a society is judged on how it treats such people and I've no objection whatsoever to the general principle of richer people paying higher taxes to support or improve the lives of those who cannot, through no fault of their own, totally care for themselves. Needless to say, this does not include the vast number of workshy malingerers that we seem to be encouraging!

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for that explanation I was not aware that Sign and BSL were different and not one and the same. The education value of this site is proved once again.

It occured to me that my posting regarding discrimination and PC could be construed as my agreement to this type of correctness, far from it.

My view is in full agreement with David in that I strongly feel that people should not be discriminated against due to disabilities or conditions often totally outside of their control but given the same consideration as those more fortunate, purely as a matter of respect.

My wife has been disabled since 1971 so we have met the discrimination and overly sensitive correctness both of which have on occasions been very hurtful. We detest the use of PC language used to supposedly not offend. As an example I once referred to the Primary Care mini-bus I drove voluntarily as "The Disabled Bus" only to be told that it must be referred to as the "Transport Vehicle for those with Mental Health Problems" what utter nonsense especially as the patients that were supposedly offended by "Disabled Bus" referred to it themselves as the "Nutters Bus" and me as "The driver from Dukes of Hazard". Every time we went over a large bump or hump back bridge it was accompanied by multiple YEEE HA's from the back. It was good fun, they loved it and really appreciated someone giving up their time to take them out.

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all.

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, frank you may be right perhaps it was a show of political correctness

On seeing your reply I cannot argue this, however what I really think is taking the biscuit is if I went somewhere and it was interpereted in polish kozovan or kurdistan . Why because they are in my country so learn to talk my bloody language ... When in rome.

So to get back to the sign I just feel so sorry that it's new years eve and I am sitting here like the boring old fart I am and chatting away on here and reading watching sky flicking through the channels and there is not one programme or film on for the deaf what a bloody cheek they pay's there money ? BUt BUT I can find Gaelic, spanish, greek, RMuik, Al jazeera tv french american . It must be me ..........

Well davids right there for the grace of god go I .

Just a shame they have not the right to push the red button and have sign in the corner when they need it .

Course the otherway you could look at it is if you were blind ...you could here it all and none of it could get on your tit's because you couldn't see it flashing across the screen ... Which one is worse ? well i would rather be deaf then blind because to have no sight must be hurrendos ?

I understand that you were not having a go and I understand your reasons and yes you are as I say probably right .. Pc but what did happen to people being human beings .

PC where I live, is go to the Doctors and not one English person is a patient. You constantly phone interpreters all day long and when they are not on time the patient can complain in english .. amazing .....

The amount of money spent on the service is fanatical. This is what I used to do before Hospital Theatre . I certainly learnt alot there you could say.

And Pc where my husband works is well totally over the top they cancelled xmas in favour of telling a story in Muslim so the Muslims would not be offended . We can't even look after our own I bet the deaf people would of just been pleased that it had been signed full stop . A Muslim story is better than no story . Guess what they did have a BSL signer there for the muslim deaf children /adults .... Never fails to amaze me

Country gone bloody mad . Or Most probably I have ?

:-|

Mike ,

Bang on............................ R**** had a T shirt with Utter nutter .And there was also a T shirt little bang on the door logo its a little girl thing if you get my drift rather like Barbie . Anyway her mum bought her a shirt bang on the door and on the front it had .......Totally mental .... Apparently all the kids normal and disabled wore them but her school complained said they thought it rather rude that I should allow her to wear a shirt like this as she has mental problems ....

Taking it a tad to far she loved the shirt so what she doesn't have the right to where it because she has problems . She has no problems its the way people treat them different not as human beings ....

Mad world. Pc again you have to say special need's in our days .

Well that cunjours ups alot of things ie) cant read cant write we all have special needs half the country has special needs including the govnerment . Why are we all frightned to say it as it is ..If someone chopped off my right arm I be not abled bodied so therefore I would be disabled by the loss of my arm . Any previous special needs would pale into significance . I think the people with the PCorrectness have the special needs .

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Archived