Back to toilet matters

nightrider

I have asked this question before, regarding the toilet, this last weekend we did a little wild camping and as far as I am aware I dont know of anyone using the toilet for anything more than a pee, but surely on board toilets can be used for the full monty if you know what I mean?

If you look at your toilet at home you will see that it has water in the bottom and that serves as a seal so that no foul smells come up from the drains, so looking at the toilet in my van you will see that it is empty and you will see the gate, my way of thinking is that if you were to be taken short while wild camping if you poured a couple of jugs of water into the pan and if your aim was good you should end up with your deposit in the water, open the gate and whoosh its gone, it might be that a toilet brush is a handy tool to have at the side, it could be of course that you might splatter the pan, I always need the toilet first thing in the morning and that is the sole reason I have not done any wild camping, while the van is parked up here and if I am working in the garden and I get the need to go, I am going to try it out. will let you know how I get on.

Ps, any solids deposited into the bottom storage container will be masserrated by the motion of the vehicle when on the move thus reducing it to sludge making it easier to empty and clean out.

We use ours for everything and always have, cannot see the point in only doing number 1's in it. I have read many descriptions of the way people get around this

1. they put loo paper around the bowl and catch the solids and remove to another place, no idea where.

2. they catch the solids as above and then let it drop below to prevent smells coming back.

3. They catch it in a plastic bag contraption and dispose of it like dog poo

4. Like us they buy a SOG unit so while you are doing No 2's the fan is removeing all smells and when you close the shutter the smell has all gone and nothing but sweet smell left in the van.

I have worked in care and nursing for 40 years so no smells get through unless I want them to. I do the tank emptying always and it doesn't bother me, he does the driving I do the toilet suits us both, alot of men do looked suprised when they see me staggering across a field at a rally with a full tank, but better that than a 20st man doing it and throwing up as he walked, (yeah what a wooos) some don't like the smell of the SOG tank when emptying but I prefer that to the smell being in the van.

Mandy

knight of the road - 2009-05-26 9:23 AM

Rapido-lass - 2009-05-26 8:25 AM

We use our toilet for both, we have a SOG fitted so no smells in the van. My only advice is always make sure the trap is open before proceeding!!

Rapido,

pardon my ignorence but what is an SOG?

It is supposed to replace the need for chemicals in your loo by attaching an air pump in the top of the loo and sucking the air down through the open loo when it is being used to stop the smell coming up through the hole. It then blows the smell out through the side of the van or through an extension pipe out the roof, which I think is better.However when you have to empty the loo there aren't any chemicals in the tank and emptying is a bit sniffy, so I still use something in the tank, to help that side of it.

Mick.

We use our toilet for both, we have a SOG fitted so no smells in the van. My only advice is always make sure the trap is open before proceeding!!

Rapido,

Malc, for your perusal..

http://www.outdoorbits.com/sog-system-kits-for-motorhomes-p-26.html

Martyn

Rapido,

Explanation as above. It makes following someone into the toilet a pleasant and stops the arguments of who goes first! It doesn't require any chemicals which is useful as some places in Europe are not allowing dumping of toilet waste and chemicals. In Germany Hymer are now building motorhomes with SOG as standard.

Never had a problem using cassette toilets Malcolm and as long as you have a inch or two of water, with the correct amount of chemicals added, then you should have a odour free facility that will prove more than acceptable for your needs.

Disposing of the waste in a responsible manner when wild camping might be a issue, but that apart, keeping the rim and bowl clean is all that you really need to do.

malc d - 2009-05-26 11:34 AM

Malc

What chemicals are you using - (they should be killing any smells) ?

We are using the pink and blue stuff that we get from the local caravan store and also that special toilet paper, we haven't had a problem with smells as we have not acually used the toilet for number 2's as yet.

Don't waste your money on the expensive toilet roll from dealers etc, go to your local Pound shop and get their toilet rolls instead, as its of a cheaper sort so less 'solid' (sorry, no pun intended!) it soon breaks down in the tank.

We've always used our motorhome toilets for what they are meant for. To keep the toilet bowl clean, and the toilet generally, we use some cheap baby wipes. Each night it gets a good clean round the outside and inside of the lid, both sides of the seat and round the back of the lid, seat etc, which we've found keeps it clean and smelling sweet. No matter how clean you think yours is have a look at the side/back of your toilet after you've used it for a few days an even though you think it's clean you'll be surprised how 'stuff' travels (no 1 fine spray that is!). You can then just pop the used baby wipes in the bin (not the toilet!). Hubby also uses baby wipes to freshen his feet before bed! :D

even though you think it's clean you'll be surprised how 'stuff' travels (no 1 fine spray that is!).

Hi

OT, but still toilet related. I read about an experiment in a public convenience. Somebody shook a red powder into the gent's "scatter cans" (urinals). Within a matter of hours, that powder had spread over every surface in the room. The person conducting the experiment blamed it on the hot air hand driers, and then asked what else was being spread around the room.

Archived