Basil ...

Birdbrain

The pulling of stuff like Fawlty Towers is just crazy. It does not help at all. It just makes the situation worse. Its a similar vein to Alf Garnet in "Till death us do part". The irony is the joke is on him as a little Englander racist. Its similar in that episode of Fawlty towers. The Major is just an example of an old relic from the days of Empire and its a send up of his ilk. From memory I think the Germans also found Basil's antics funny in that episode. FFS! This is just giving the haters ammunition. Has to stop. These protests are not about statues or 70s sit com's, they are about the present and a fight for what some see as equality and equal justice for all. Knee jerk reactions just dont help anyone.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-12 11:10 AM

The pulling of stuff like Fawlty Towers is just crazy. It does not help at all. It just makes the situation worse. I think the Germans also found Basil's antics funny in that episode.

I know for sure some certainly did as it was my German mates favourite comedy, in fact he had all 12 shows on dvd and "The Germans" was his favourite episode. Both his sons found it hilarious too. A shame Cleese and his then wife flatly refused to do any more episodes but i think by then they'd had enough of the show and each other!

Bulletguy - 2020-06-12 3:04 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-06-12 11:10 AM

The pulling of stuff like Fawlty Towers is just crazy. It does not help at all. It just makes the situation worse. I think the Germans also found Basil's antics funny in that episode.

I know for sure some certainly did as it was my German mates favourite comedy, in fact he had all 12 shows on dvd and "The Germans" was his favourite episode. Both his sons found it hilarious too. A shame Cleese and his then wife flatly refused to do any more episodes but i think by then they'd had enough of the show and each other!

Often good for a series like that to go out on a high though. I often still watch them after a few sherbets. Its one of the very few shows that has stood the test of time. Germans get a bad rap for not having much of a sense of humour but I have found quite the opposite.

Archived