Bio-Diesel

cedric

Anybody got thoughts about using it, I have just started to try it, Engine seems quieter- performance the same Wife thinks exhaust smells like a chip- -shop but then she would!At 70.p a litre I like it Cedric aka Dave

The Owner's Guide for the current Ford Transit states (on the handbook's outer cover) that only diesel fuel to EN590 specification should be used, adding "Do not use RME (bio diesel)". This advice is modified within the Guide to "Diesel fuels which contain a mix of 5% RME (bio diesel) are acceptable". Obviously 100% bio-diesel 'works', but I've no idea whether it has any beneficial or adverse effect on modern diesel motors. Time will tell and, until it does, I shan't be switching to diesel fuel based on recycled chip-shop cooking oil.

Cedric. I have successfully made and used Bio Diesel in my 2.0 JTD. 30% mix with 70% mineral diesel. Quieter, more power and more MPG. More than 30% power starts to fall off but MPG does not. It gives cleaner burning, less soot on exhaust and generally is actually better for the engine, assuming the quality is up to scratch. The benifits outway the disadvantages. The main disadvantage being you do need to change the fuel filter more often and also the sump oil as the Bio is not completely compatable with mineral oil. There are many sites giving very good information on Bio diesel - a search on Google will find them. Basics are for common rail high pressure injection systems you do need quality Bio. Shell add 5% to thier fuel now as do BP to their Ulimate fuel which you pay more for. Shell to not charge more and is generally a couple of pence cheaper. In Europe mre and more contries have a requirement to add Bio to their diesel in inreasing quanties. France for example is 10%, In the Czech republic I bought fuel with 30%. Older engines run great on Bio, but you get problems with rubber seals which need to be relplaced with newer ones resistant to Bio. Also Any vehicle run on mineral for a long time will have sytems full of crud, Bio cleans and loosens all this crud and it can block filters initially, also any rust in the tank. Read up about Bio from the experts and you will see how much better it is an how bad Mineral diesel is. With Quailty bio your exhaust should not smell like a chip shop, more a sort of flowery smell, difficult to explain but is not unpleasant at all and with a 30% mix like I use there is virtually no smell when the engine is hot and a lot less warming up than straight mineral gives. Strange observation - Fiat do not warrant the use of Bio , but Peugoet do for exactly the same engine. But times are changing and one day we will all be running on much more Bio in our tanks.

Archived