Blame Game begins

John52

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Les W - 2020-04-24 3:25 PM

Does this mean that one group of scientists are saying another group of scientists are following the wrong science that the other group of scientists think is the correct science?

No - don't think it does mean that.

Seems to me that some public health experts think the government is putting too much dependence on computer models and not enough on science expertise.

Knowing the record of U.K. governments use of computers over time, it's quite understandable.

:-|

Does this mean that one group of scientists are saying another group of scientists are following the wrong science that the other group of scientists think is the correct science?

Yes but the squad will give a different twist

malc d - 2020-04-24 4:45 PM

No - don't think it does mean that.

Seems to me that some public health experts think the government is putting too much dependence on computer models and not enough on science expertise.

Knowing the record of U.K. governments use of computers over time, it's quite understandable.

:-|

Exactly that and the article itself is so clear, i don't know why it's so difficult for some to understand. :-S

The diversity of scientific views was apparent in March when case numbers were rising rapidly but the government chose not to ban mass gatherings or introduce wide-reaching physical distancing.

“World Health Organization advice, and what we’ve learned from lots of previous outbreaks in low- and middle-income countries, is that the faster you move at the start, the better, because it’s exponential growth,” Sridhar said. “In public health, a test, trace and isolate campaign would’ve been where your mind first went.”

Instead, she said, the government appeared to be basing policy on the presumption of a binary choice between two scenarios, played out in computer models, of either eradicating the virus or it becoming endemic.

John Allen - 2020-04-24 8:58 PM

BoJo or Starma wouldn't have made their own decision they would have both relied on the scientific advice so they had something to blame later if all went wrong.

Well that would have been better than relying on BoJo's spin doctor's advice who is on the advisory panel. Because the scientific advice was to isolate as soon as possible, not to dither about for a couple of months till the virus got a hold.

John52 - 2020-04-25 7:41 AM

Well that would have been better than relying on BoJo's spin doctor's advice who is on the advisory panel. Because the scientific advice was to isolate as soon as possible, not to dither about for a couple of months till the virus got a hold.

Not according to the answers being given to the select committee yesterday. The scientists and chief medical officer were trying find reasons why they hadn't insisted on an early lockdown.

John Allen - 2020-04-25 10:23 AM

John52 - 2020-04-25 7:41 AM

Not according to the answers being given to the select committee yesterday. The scientists and chief medical officer were trying find reasons why they hadn't insisted on an early lockdown.

I believe they were considering 'taking it on the chin' - letting the virus run its course, accepting the inevitable deaths of the old and weak who would die soon anyway, till we got herd immunity.

That may have been the best response - certainly for the young who are least at risk from the virus, and will suffer most from the economic damage of the lockdown, and the over population crisis like the housing crisis, deforestation & global warming, pollution, famine etc.

But they bottled out when they realised the political damage. Now have gone to the other extreme with a GP practice in Wales being vilified for suggesting patients with Motor Neurone disease could elect not to have intensive care if they caught coronovirus.

So they not only missed the chance to stop it at our borders, but missed the chance to minimise the damage through an early lockdown.

So now we have got the worst of both worlds.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-04-25 10:50 AM

Incorrect ;-) ...........

Its only you Losers who have the worst of both worlds :D ........

Brexit and Boris as PM >:-) ......... (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:02 AM

Since you have got them as well that makes you a bigger loser than me you Cretin.

Because at least I'm getting the benefit of your tax money :D

that BoJo is bribing us with to stop us voting SNP

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-04-25 11:08 AM

Since you have got them as well that makes you a loser too

My world is suffering a few minor inconveniences ;-) ..........

I doubt the lack of rib eye steak in this mornings food delivery will cause me to lose any sleep :D ........

But I guess that's the difference between winners & whinners :-> ..........

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:13 AM

I doubt the lack of rib eye steak in this mornings food delivery will cause me to lose any sleep :D ........

I've edited my post to try and make it clearer ;-)

I'm doing alright, but I care (whinge if you like) about those who aren't.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-04-25 11:18 AM

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:13 AM

I've edited my post to try and make it clearer ;-)

I'm doing alright, but I care (whinge if you like) about those who aren't.

Cobblers *-) ...........

If you really cared ;-) ...........

You wouldn't have left your house empty for months at a time whilst pontificating about the homeless 8-) ........

You're just another Lefty Gobsh*te >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:22 AM

You're just another Lefty Gobsh*te >:-) ..........

That may be so.

But you continually say 'Loser'

After countless times of asking, Have you thought of anything I have lost that you haven't *-)

John52 - 2020-04-26 11:47 AM

That may be so.

After countless times of asking, Have you thought of anything I have lost that you haven't *-)

You appear to have lost a lot of things that appear to be very important to you.

You lost your wish for the Tories to be defeated at the last election and replaced by a government more in tune with your political beliefs. You lost your wish that the UK remains a member of the EU. Yet again you lost your wish that our constitutional monarchy be abolished, as a party that supports it was returned with a thumping majority.

You appear to have lost an awful lot of what is very important to you and pervades your entire life. I'd say that makes you a very big loser. Pelmetman and I got everything we wanted. That makes us very big winners.

You haven't lost everything though. You still have your ability to shamelessly lie in order to bolster your stance. Your latest blatant lie is that the PM's advisor is on the SAGE committee. He is not on the committee, any more than the dozen other people are who were invited to attend the meetings to observe proceedings and, if possible, answer questions, when asked by the committee, which often needs to ask the government for procedural advice. This has been made very clear but, as you often do, you choose to ignore the truth.

Getting back to the OP topic, we seem to be innundated at the momment with what boil down to rival journalistic and scientific opinion about how to handle the virus outbreak - which from my viewpoint are really unwelcome.

We chose our Government (recently, by a significant majority vote) and they have chosen their scientific advisors. They were listed in one of the papers yesterday and they are pretty obviously a top notch lot. 

We have needed, and still need, firm leadership based on good science to get us through this outbreak, aiming for minimum loss of life and limited economic damage, which is what the Government have said they are aiming for.

So I don't want any clever clogs journalists trying to drag up and highlight conflicting ideas, not least because at least half of the public are not clever enough to process the information.  Nor do I want yesterday's politicians, of any party, coming on TV telling us what they think the Government should be doing.  I don't even want the current set of Opposition politicians chipping in just to get themselves some air time.  Instead I want the media to be supporting the Government's message of Stay Home, Protect the NHS and Save Lives.

FunsterJohn - 2020-04-26 11:20 AM

John52 - 2020-04-26 11:47 AM

That may be so.

You appear to have lost a lot of things that appear to be very important to you.

You lost your wish for the Tories to be defeated at the last election and replaced by a government more in tune with your political beliefs. You lost your wish that the UK remains a member of the EU. Yet again you lost your wish that our constitutional monarchy be abolished, as a party that supports it was returned with a thumping majority.

You appear to have lost an awful lot of what is very important to you and pervades your entire life. I'd say that makes you a very big loser. Pelmetman and I got everything we wanted. That makes us very big winners.

You haven't lost everything though. You still have your ability to shamelessly lie in order to bolster your stance. Your latest blatant lie is that the PM's advisor is on the SAGE committee. He is not on the committee, any more than the dozen other people are who were invited to attend the meetings to observe proceedings and, if possible, answer questions, when asked by the committee, which often needs to ask the government for procedural advice. This has been made very clear but, as you often do, you choose to ignore the truth.

Seems to have escaped your attention that you are losing more from BoJo's Government, Brexit etc than I am.

At least we in Scotland are getting paid for it - bribed with your money to stop us voting SNP

StuartO - 2020-04-26 1:08 PM

We chose our Government (recently, by a significant majority vote)

Actually it was a minority of the vote.

That said, We all want the Government to succeed, hence we are rallying round the flag.

But don't let that blind you to the Government's performance, which has obviously been abysmal.

I can't think of anything they have done well.

Being surrounded by water, they could have used the borders they have taken back control of to test and isolate before the virus got in.

Failing that they could have started procuring the supplies before the price rose 100 fold, and they could have started the isolation before the virus took hold.

But BoJo hasn't changed since his Tutors at Eton called him Lazy and Complacent - even skipping the first 5 Cobra meetings, leaving the Government in Limbo as he holds all the power. He even caught the virus himself FFS - doesn't even that tell you anything?

But by chanting the mantra Stay Home, Protect the NHS and Save Lives his spin Doctor has shifted the blame to the little people cooped up in shoe box flats, going out to the park as its the only place they can go.

I ask you - If we don't recognise the Government's mistakes, how can they learn from them?

FunsterJohn - 2020-04-26 11:20 AM

Scientists on UK government’s coronavirus advisory group say Dominic Cummings was an active participant https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/attendees-of-sage-coronavirus-meetings-worried-by-presence-of-dominic-cummings

How do you know more than the Scientists who were there *-)

Archived