Bonkers Brexit Banger War

Bulletguy

I thought this was a wind up when I first heard about it but nope, it's in The Times. B-)

Britain has made a declaration of war against the EU.............over sausages. *-)

Brexit negotiators are engaged in a stand-off over the future of the banger as the prospect grows of a trade ban at the end of the year.

The dispute could result in Irish sausages being taken off British supermarket shelves and German bratwurst being turned back at Calais. Negotiators have told Brussels that they intend to use the EU’s own rules to exact revenge on European producers. *-)

The row developed over EU regulations stating that uncooked prepared meat products, such as sausages and burgers, cannot be imported into the bloc unless they are frozen to minus 18C.

This threatens tens of millions of pounds worth of sausage meat, along with uncooked beef burgers and other products. The ban will also affect Northern Ireland, disrupting supply chains and preventing British-prepared raw meat from crossing the Irish Sea.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/from-brat-to-wurst-britain-in-eu-sausage-war-tlwtpxk8g

pelmetman - 2020-11-26 9:19 AM

Buy British Snorkers............ Brexit Bangers Rule B-) ........

As if we don't already struggle to export enough stuff, you've just killed off some more. *-)

Have you told UK sausage makers of your "brilliant" trade deal to throw a few more folk out of work? *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-11-26 6:20 PM

As if we don't already struggle to export enough stuff, you've just killed off some more. *-)

Have you told UK sausage makers of your "brilliant" trade deal to throw a few more folk out of work? *-)

Cant say I've ever noticed British Bangers in Frog supermarkets? :-S ........

Although I have seen a few in Spanish supermarkets ;-) .........

I doubt any UK snorker makers rely on sales to the EU :D ........

In fact I reckon a No Deal will boost British sasuage sales, as we wont have those Irish sasuages or Wurst cluttering up our supermarket shelves B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-11-27 9:43 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-11-26 6:20 PM

Cant say I've ever noticed British Bangers in Frog supermarkets? :-S ........

Although I have seen a few in Spanish supermarkets ;-) .........

I doubt any UK snorker makers rely on sales to the EU :D ........

In fact I reckon a No Deal will boost British sasuage sales, as we wont have those Irish sasuages or Wurst cluttering up our supermarket shelves B-) ..........

UK is a tiny island country of just 65 million.......where the EU is a massive trading bloc of 27 countries, more than seven times the amount of our population, so how is shooting ourselves in the foot helpful when we harm our own industry? Also it's not about imports, the restrictions apply to UK meat exports since losing EU compliance. You knew what you were voting for. *-)

colin - 2020-11-27 12:01 PM

Exports to EU of sausage meat amount to around £17m, a vital lifeline to the pork industry.

Parasiteman isn't content with throwing a few thousand car workers out of a job, he now wants to annihilate our own sausage industry, increase costs and throw some more folk out of work. *-)

It is not my problem.

I know our cold cuts and it doesn't occur to me to buy and eat German or Anglo-Saxon junk.

Try a "cacciatore", a aged ham from San Daniele, a cooked ham from Emilia or a mortadella from Bologna and you will understand the difference.

mtravel - 2020-11-27 3:01 PM

It is not my problem.

I know our cold cuts and it doesn't occur to me to buy and eat German or Anglo-Saxon junk.

Try a "cacciatore", a aged ham from San Daniele, a cooked ham from Emilia or a mortadella from Bologna and you will understand the difference.

Not good for you if they use sodium nitrite.

Now on one of the CL's we use they butcher and make their own Goose burger's and Goose sausages. They are scrummy.

mtravel - 2020-11-27 3:01 PM

It is not my problem.

Yeah we can get that in some supermarkets here. Not my 'thing' personally as the fat bits in it reminds me too much of our black pudding made from pigs blood, fat, oats and barley. I don't go anywhere near black pudding and won't even touch it.. I like Parma ham and parmesan cheese.....not cheap but worth it as an occasional treat. Bockwurst is obviously very common in Germany and i've always liked it yet my German friends laugh and call it "truckers food".

Archived