Brexit Customs centre

Bulletguy

Government have secretly purchased 27 acres of land 20 miles from Dover to site a vast new Brexit customs clearance centre for the 10,000 lorries that come through the Kent port from Calais every day. Council given just hours notice of the emergency purchase and forced to rush out hand-delivered letters to local residents to warn them of the disruption.

Local Tory MP Damian Green is not happy. He voted Brexit as did 59% of Kent residents who aren't happy about the prospect of congestion. But they knew what they were voting for........didn't they? :-|

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/10/vast-brexit-customs-clearance-centre-to-be-built-in-kent

HMRC estimates the annual cost of filling in export and import forms if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal to be £15 billion a year. Hhmm.......after rebates our net contributions as an EU member were £8.9 billion.

https://www.accountex.co.uk/insight/2019/10/08/hmrc-price-of-brexit/amp/

Its not just the £700 million though is it? Did you not read the last article. Thats just the cost of building the customs centre which by the way is no way big enough and will only hold a fraction of the traffic. The total estimated cost in red tape is £15 billion which is almost double what we currently pay in and thats before we get started on the cost of lost trade and jobs etc.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-12 9:05 AM

Its not just the £700 million though is it? Did you not read the last article. Thats just the cost of building the customs centre which by the way is no way big enough and will only hold a fraction of the traffic. The total estimated cost in red tape is £15 billion which is almost double what we currently pay in and thats before we get started on the cost of lost trade and jobs etc.

Lets be honest Barry you and "estimated" anything dont work well together ... Rejoice that Government is preparing for leaving and creating jobs

Birdbrain - 2020-07-12 9:14 AM

Lets be honest Barry you and "estimated" anything dont work well together ... Rejoice that Government is preparing for leaving and creating jobs

I think you will find that those figures are your own governments figures not mine. Read Bullets last link rather than trying to be funny about my "estimated" figures. This is the real cost of the s**tfest you Brexiteers have bestowed upon us. Actually it isnt. As I said thats just the annual cost of casting us back to 1993 in red tape.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-12 11:23 AM

I think you will find that those figures are your own governments figures not mine. Read Bullets last link rather than trying to be funny about my "estimated" figures. This is the real cost of the s**tfest you Brexiteers have bestowed upon us. Actually it isnt. As I said thats just the annual cost of casting us back to 1993 in red tape.

So all of a sudden you believe what a Tory Government says ... You couldn't make it up ... Well you could

It seems work is under way, so presumably the land was actually acquired some time back. Some planning must also have been carried out in order for work to progress on site. The land is just south of the A2070, immediately adjacent to M20 junction 10.

Part of the cost will be for accelerated working to meet the post Brexit implementation date for the new customs arrangements. I suspect that part of the reason we do not intend implementing the new arrangements until July '21 is that this, and other related developments, cannot be completed any earlier.

I assume some measures will also be required to prevent vehicles exiting the M20 at junctions 11, 12 or 13, or taking the A2/M2 from Dover. Haven't yet heard how this will be enforced. Ride-on Customs officers, or something? Watch this space!! :-D

Birdbrain - 2020-07-12 12:06 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-07-12 11:23 AM

So all of a sudden you believe what a Tory Government says ... You couldn't make it up ... Well you could

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Well Its HMRC innit so I trust them. Being a law abiding trustworthy person who always pays his taxes and VAT etc I have total faith in HMRC. Its not like its come from Johnson or President Cummings though is it although I suspect Cummings is already looking at a way to "take care" of those who produced the figures while stroking his white cat.

£15 billion a year and yes the figures are from an HMRC report published by UK Gov.

https://tinyurl.com/yyaft554

Can't think why Kent Brexiteers and their MP are now crying "unfair" and whining about getting what they voted for. The only people with any right to complain are those that did not vote for this clusterf*ck yet expected to contribute. It's about time Brexiteers were held to account for their lunacy and funded crazy exercises like this themselves.

Brian Kirby - 2020-07-12 12:12 PM

I assume some measures will also be required to prevent vehicles exiting the M20 at junctions 11, 12 or 13, or taking the A2/M2 from Dover. Haven't yet heard how this will be enforced. Ride-on Customs officers, or something? Watch this space!! :-D

Well exactly.....quite a lot can happen with an HGV over a 20 mile distance. It's a smugglers dream!! :-D

Just one question then. If its going to cost every year almost double what we paid into the EU for membership just for the paperwork alone, how are we going to get that £350 million a week then from the Brexit Dividend Mr Johnson and all the Brexiteers promised us. Im not good at maths but something is up here I reckon. It just doesnt work out.

Can a Brexiteer explain it to me please? Thanks.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-12 5:31 PM

Just one question then. If its going to cost every year almost double what we paid into the EU for membership just for the paperwork alone, how are we going to get that £350 million a week then from the Brexit Dividend Mr Johnson and all the Brexiteers promised us. Im not good at maths but something is up here I reckon. It just doesnt work out.

Can a Brexiteer explain it to me please? Thanks.

Their silence is deafening so it doesn't look like any have thought up an answer yet.

They're trying to figure how paying £6.1 billion a year more just for this control centre can be seen as 'saving money' and result in 'less red tape, less bureaucracy'.

Guest pelmetman

15 billion spent in the UK gets my vote Hater :D .........

pelmetman - 2020-07-12 9:08 PM

It probably wouldnt get your vote if it was your company that was getting hammered for extra costs of all the red tape. Then again I guess most will pass that cost onto the likes of you, the consumer.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-07-12 9:26 PM

It probably wouldnt get your vote if it was your company that was getting hammered for extra costs of all the red tape. Then again I guess most will pass that cost onto the likes of you, the consumer.

Have you ever exported to a non EU country? ;-) .........

It's not exactly hard work is it? >:-) .......

Just another online form to fill in for the couriers :D .........

pelmetman - 2020-07-12 9:46 PM

Which when there are millions of movements and transactions every day will now cost an additional £15bn a year and create huge delays and queues, so much so that we are also having to spend millions on a great big lorry park which wont be big enough.

Idiot. Posting a couple of pouffes out of UK knocked up in a backyard business is not in the same league as shipping in truck loads of goods. *-)

Barryd999 - 2020-07-13 9:01 AM

Which when there are millions of movements and transactions every day will now cost an additional £15bn a year and create huge delays and queues, so much so that we are also having to spend millions on a great big lorry park which wont be big enough.

As usual Pelmet is spouting utter drivel so let's listen to someone who knows what he's taking about instead has to say. Steve Applebee is boss of Harbour Shipping Ltd, responsible for import checks on HGV transport. Take note of what he says from 15 min 36 seconds on. He also shows the customs clearance paperwork involved for ONE truck.

Bulletguy - 2020-07-13 4:16 PM

As usual Pelmet is spouting utter drivel so let's listen to someone who knows what he's taking about instead has to say. Steve Applebee is boss of Harbour Shipping Ltd, responsible for import checks on HGV transport. Take note of what he says from 15 min 36 seconds on. He also shows the customs clearance paperwork involved for ONE truck.

In the world of "Showman Johnson" though thats just detail for someone else to worry about. Brexiteers dont do detail and thats been their problem from the off. Their job was easy. They just had to lie and promise whatever they liked. Its people like that bloke in the video that have to deal with the detail and thats why it will all fall apart. At some point it all has to be put into practice and it will just be an epic fail. Either that or Johnson realises it will be such an epic fail that he is counting on those on the other side of the channel to just give in and carry on as normal.

The issue is there is way too much human involvement with none EU Goods for it to ever work. Way too much scope for human error. Its a well oiled machine now since we did away with all this bollox in 1993. Its just a few short months now until all that comes crashing down and whats going on now is too little too late. They had four years.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-13 5:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-07-13 4:16 PM

In the world of "Showman Johnson" though thats just detail for someone else to worry about. Brexiteers dont do detail and thats been their problem from the off. Their job was easy. They just had to lie and promise whatever they liked. Its people like that bloke in the video that have to deal with the detail and thats why it will all fall apart. At some point it all has to be put into practice and it will just be an epic fail. Either that or Johnson realises it will be such an epic fail that he is counting on those on the other side of the channel to just give in and carry on as normal.

The issue is there is way too much human involvement with none EU Goods for it to ever work. Way too much scope for human error. Its a well oiled machine now since we did away with all this bollox in 1993. Its just a few short months now until all that comes crashing down and whats going on now is too little too late. They had four years.

Well Kent Brexiteers must be going ballistic. It's not just ONE Customs clearance centre being built but 10 or 12.....with FIVE of them "likely to be in Kent"! They knew what they were voting for though so they can't complain.

https://tinyurl.com/yb4wkdam

Looks like Liz Truss will be next for the chop after writing this to Gove and Sunak; https://tinyurl.com/yb4owogy much to the fury of Director Cummings;

Well the other 27 countries are not going to be building customs centres for Britain.

Our lorries are just going to have to go who knows where and wait and wait and wait.

Any one of thousands of foreign customs officials can detain our lorries indefinitely and shut down our factories

Whilst their governments are offering said factories inducements to move over there.

Who can our lorry drivers call when they are stuck *-)

So Here it is then finally in black and white. Project fear becomes reality. No cake then.

The Junta has been briefing that it is poised to launch a huge "shock and awe" PR offensive to prepare the country for no deal at the end of the year. Looks like they have been hoisted by their own petard. The EU have beaten them to it.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/eu-launches-its-own-shock-and-awe-campaign-early/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I will hazard a guess that our Shock and Awe PR offensive will just be a three word logo. "No turning back"? "Ready Steady Brexsh1t"? "Fcuk you Barnier"?

Whatever, it will have nothing of substance like that behind it for sure. Wamkers.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-13 9:45 PM

So Here it is then finally in black and white. Project fear becomes reality. No cake then.

The Junta has been briefing that it is poised to launch a huge "shock and awe" PR offensive to prepare the country for no deal at the end of the year. Looks like they have been hoisted by their own petard. The EU have beaten them to it.

"Free movement of persons as provided by EU law will cease to apply at the end of the transition period."

That's put an end to the shenanigans of Brit 'snowbirds' and over-stayers. ;-)

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/eu-launches-its-own-shock-and-awe-campaign-early/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I will hazard a guess that our Shock and Awe PR offensive will just be a three word logo. "No turning back"? "Ready Steady Brexsh1t"? "Fcuk you Barnier"?

Whatever, it will have nothing of substance like that behind it for sure. Wamkers.

I thought "No Deal" was "Dead" ??? ... Chuckle ... The Squad are getting angry aren't they

Bulletguy - 2020-07-13 10:28 PM

"Free movement of persons as provided by EU law will cease to apply at the end of the transition period."

That's put an end to the shenanigans of Brit 'snowbirds' and over-stayers. ;-)

It wont apply to Dave Pelmet though. He will have some dodgy note written in Crayon by some local Mayor he bunged fifty quid to I bet. Im sure the Schengen border guards will accept that when their database flags up his illegal immigrant status. (lol)

Archived