Brexit Dummy run

Bulletguy

Government plan to use the abandoned Manston airport near Ramsgate for a 'dummy run' of trucks tomorrow. It's planned to run 150 HGV's down to Dover port and back again during busy periods. 2,000 trucks a day pass through Dover under it's current EU status but if that ceases and UK becomes "third country", perhaps 150 trucks will be all we can cope with.

The base is still signposted as Kent International even though the last time a plane landed there was four years ago. Authorities also plan to use it as a truck park as part of Operation Stack.

I imagine all those 59%'ers will be will be out on the streets tomorrow waving their flags and bunting to cheer the 150 truckers on......after all this was what they voted for wasn't it? ;-)

https://tinyurl.com/ycex4g7c

'No Deal' apocalypse;

https://tinyurl.com/y7l757ku

You don't need 12000 trucks to see how it might work, or might not work, as the case might be and surely anyone with any wits about them would realise that - but of course not everyone on here has any wits about them do they?

As I see it there are two aspects, one is the processing though customs and border control of a continuous stream of lorries and the other is the parking ot them all, before and after, and I would imagine that segregated and secure parking is easy enough to organise so all you need is a sample flow through the various checks to see what fine tuning is needed and it makes perfect sense to me to see how it flows, or does not flow, before being used for real.

Sounds like responsible government to me - and not before time!

Do I really have to explain all that to you remoaner numpties?

Go look for something else to whinge about.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-06 7:02 PM

Actually its nearer 12000 trucks a day that go through Dover so 150 is about 18 minutes worth.

Dover's own numbers are 711,000 January to June that's 6 months which equates to approx. 3,100 per day is someone is being economical with the truth. (?)

teflon2 - 2019-01-06 7:22 PM

Actually its nearer 12000 trucks a day that go through Dover so 150 is about 18 minutes worth.

Dover's own numbers are 711,000 January to June that's 6 months which equates to approx. 3,100 per day is someone is being economical with the truth. (?)

Remoaners economical with the truth - how dare you sir!!

The clue is in the title - DUMMY run!

I'll go with figures from this guy whose director of the Road Hauliers Association. I reckon he knows what he's talking about eh?

Another port to bear in mind is Immingham which currently handles three times the amount of HGV's than Dover.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-06 9:57 PM

I'll go with figures from this guy whose director of the Road Hauliers Association. I reckon he knows what he's talking about eh?

Another port to bear in mind is Immingham which currently handles three times the amount of HGV's than Dover.

That was where I got the 12000 figure from. A quick google brings up anything from 10000 to 11000. He also mentions there will only be 2000 permits for 40000 lorries in a no deal Brexit so maybe there wont be as big a problem as 38000 of them wont be going anywhere as they wont be allowed in Europe.

The dummy run is totally pointless as it in no way will show just how long the delays will be as each lorry is checked and surely it will depend on what they are carrying, how many cock ups there are with the paper work. The place will just grind to a halt. If there are issues with each lorry they could be there for days.

Thats it stop Brexit ... Chocolate shortage at Easter ... https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/751678/easter-brexit-chocolate-shortage-no-deal-european-union-cadbury-nestle ... Imagine all those sulking , screaming , crying , whinging kids when they dont get their Easter chocolate buttons eggs and thats just our 2 resident whinge bags on here BullBarry

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2019-01-06 5:27 PM

Nice apt title - one mention of Brexit and the dummies all run!

The first Brexit Dummy run happened on the 24th June 2016 ;-) ..........

When all the Remoaners spat theirs out >:-) ...........

Only 89 lorries turned up including a Thanet bin wagon. (lol)

If they can't even successfully arrange for 150 lorries to turn up on a massive airfield in Kent how the hell are they going to manage 4 million of them moving smoothly between France and England each year?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-lorry-test-disused-manston-13823172

Exactly. I dont know how long it will take to check the paperwork on a massive great lorry filled with thousands of items but I suspect it will be longer than two minutes which apparently is enough to cause 17 miles of tailback. If this airport can only take 4000 lorries and there are 10000-12000 a day it will be full by lunchtime. Then what? Are they then going to prioritise lorries that have perishable goods are life saving supplies? There could be drivers stuck there for weeks if they just have car parts or stuff well down the list.

Imagine the worst traffic jam youve been stuck in roadworks say on the motorway where three lanes go into one and then imagine everyone at the front, getting out, having a fag, perhaps getting a picnic out, bottle of wine, bit of a snooze and then getting in to continue through the contraflow. Its not going to work is it?

We are so fortunate in this country that people with such negativity and biased views as those who would condemn everything they don't like based purely on the expertise of media reports are not in charge.

Fortunately there are others who will try and make it work rather than adopting a negative mentality when the going gets tough.

Please Bullhead and Barmy - never stand for election - we have enough snowflakes already.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-07 11:28 PM

Exactly. I dont know how long it will take to check the paperwork on a massive great lorry filled with thousands of items

I think you'll find most lorries are filled with thousands of the same item from the same supplier ;-) ........

Tracker - 2019-01-08 9:44 AM

We are so fortunate in this country that people with such negativity and biased views as those who would condemn everything they don't like based purely on the expertise of media reports are not in charge.

Fortunately there are others who will try and make it work rather than adopting a negative mentality when the going gets tough.

You're trying to make a square peg go through a round hole. Everything was working reasonably well pre-referendum and since then it's all gone pear shaped as the situation became more clear. BoE have announced voting Leave has cost the UK economy £440 million a week....£727 every single second. That wasn't on that big red bus was it? I wonder why?

Please Bullhead and Barmy - never stand for election - we have enough snowflakes already.

Why would a non voting fence sitting 'wait and see'er' mither about who stands for election? :-|

Come out of hiding Richard, jump down off your fence and own your own mess. The Beano boys only have one other openly declared Brexiteer.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-08 1:18 PM

You're trying to make a square peg go through a round hole. Everything was working reasonably well pre-referendum and since then it's all gone pear shaped as the situation became more clear. BoE have announced voting Leave has cost the UK economy £440 million a week....£727 every single second. That wasn't on that big red bus was it? I wonder why?

Still spreading fake news a Bullet *-) ...........

Where's the actual proof?........and I don't mean the scaremongering scribbling's of your Remoaner experts >:-) ........

Tracker - 2019-01-08 9:44 AM

Ive worked in the past with people with those bouncy positive attitudes that it will all work out fine Rich if we just have faith plenty of times over the years. If Brexit had been an IT project and i had done the analysis which is essentially what I used to do I would have condemned it as unworkable years ago regardless of what the bouncy people said or even if it meant me being shown the door. Its never the "bouncy" ideologists that have to make it all work. If its a success they claim all the credit and if its a failure they skulk off or blame someone else. Usually the consultant (me) which is why I would bin something off that was unworkable before it even got off the ground.

Calling someone a Snowflake (which is defo not me by the way) does not get round the fact that you still have an unworkable situation. No point in pretending otherwise. Dont take my word for it, just read the statements and reports from just about every customs officer or port official. I presume they know what they are talking about even if you think I dont.

Archived