Broadband

Brian Kirby

I assume most of us are using ADSL broadband connections? 

My connection is currently annoying the hell out of me by "dropping", or disconnecting, virtually daily.  The connection is via a wireless gateway, so I have to keep re-booting the gateway, after which it, mostly, re-establishes the connection.  I understand this may have to do with contention ratios: basically, that TalkTalk have sold more service than they have the kit to support, so I get bumped off to make way for someone else.

The ISP is TalkTalk, the connection speed is 1Mb (not the latest issue 8Mb), and was sold as "unlimited".  When working, apart from the above, it is good.  Backup/support, however, is a farce.

Do others have good/bad experience with their broadband?  I'm seriously considering sacking TalkTalk, but don't want the fag of setting it all up again, and telling everyone about the changed e-mail address, if they are all as lousy!

Any suggestions, please?

Hi Brian,

I have been with Virgin Broadband for about 18 months now and have found it to be just perfect. Before that I was with Tesco and had untold problems simlilar to those which you describe, plus a huge amount of spam mail. I had heard good reports of Virgin and they have so far proved to be true, and with no spam mail. There is nothing worse than a system which continually lets you down and I am afraid that TalkTalk don't seem to have got their act together so far. Too good to be true springs to mind?

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Roy.

Hi Brian. I,m the last person to offer advice re. Broadband, but if these problems are occuring on a regular basis, and TalkTalk are unable or unwilling to put them right, I would simply change my provider and take my business elsewhere. Bit of a pain, but if it cannot be resolved, then you might as well do it now rather than later. I,m with BT by the way, and on the rare occasions i,ve had a problem, I,m more than happy with the way they have dealt with it.

Hi Brian, at home I'm with Telewest and have a 10Mb feed which is usually pretty quick and has proved to be ultra reliable, we regularly run two separate computers from it, my laptop and my sons desktop PC (he tends to shoot anything that moves on the net so he pays a big whack of the cost as he uses most of the bandwidth). My laptop is done via a wireless link and my sons is wired as is my main desktop PC in the study (back bedroom really).

At work I have a 1Mb feed with Tiscali and so far its been fine and has only dropped the connection once. I have two pcs running on the office network and both have net access, one for security cameras and the webcam and the other is my day to day office machine.

Cost wise I found Tiscali were the best deal but as the deals on offer are constantly changing it pays to shop around.

D.

I use tiscali, at first it would disconnect about every hour, it was I believe because I had to have modem on an extension lead, I dumped supplied modem and use zoom5 modem/router plugged into incoming socket and with ethernet cable to computer, only time it has disconected was during bad thunderstorms, but it reconnects automaticaly.

I find email on Tiscali sometimes unavailible at busy times, and their tech support is a waste of time, so I would not recommend for those that don't know their way around computers, AOL I have found to have better support (but I believe they are cutting back) but I hate their system.

Guest starspirit

I agree with Colin re Tiscali at busy times but that apart it works well for us with two machines and a wireless connection.

I would NEVER EVER EVER let AOL back on any computer of mine. They overwrite parts of IE and OE and install tracking cookies that are impossible to remove even after you finish with their service.

Switching to Tiscali gave us some major issues which took us and an expert a bit of time to resolve.

Be warned.

Oh Starspirit ,

Totally agree stay away from AOL Brain . We run two services for 4 computor's I dont know the technical stuff Brain hubby will when he get's up later but we have Ntl & Bt wireless the Bt being the better we find .

As I speak type there are three on around the house never no prob's never drops the line.

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-17 5:44 PM

I assume most of us are using ADSL broadband connections?

I understand this may have to do with contention ratios: basically, that TalkTalk have sold more service than they have the kit to support, so I get bumped off to make way for someone else.

BrianI think your understanding is correct, a few years ago I had "Freeserve" and that was notorious for dropping out. Their servers could never cope with the volume of users and they basically timed you out to enable all their users some availability.You should still be able to retain your e-mail address, if you retain a link in "favorites" to your current home page. It's the connection you pay for not the page access. I can still use my Freeserve e-mail address or MSM Hotmail but don't connect via either.Flicka

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There was a survey done recently which showed that the most satisfied broadband users were those on cable. I'm with NTL and I have to say that it has been virtually trouble free. In about four years I have had two short periods when it didn't work, owing to flooding when a junction box was inundated.

Obviously, this is no use to you if your road isn't cabled but when mine was done I ditched Sky and one BT line (we had two) and and switched to cable.

I've never regretted the move and I get my phone bill, TV and broadband all in one package.

NTL are now, so a friend told me only yesterday by coincidence, offering Talk Talk-matching deals in order to obtain and retain business.

Count your lucky stars you have a choice, we're stuck with Kingston Communication's Karoo, it's okay but not the cheapest at £18.99 a month, we've had to ask them to put us on the £17.99 a month tariff - better service and cheaper ... they didn't bother to tell us, or any of their other, existing subscribers! *-) They're not into customer service!!!!

I wish someone would stop the bl**dy monopoly they've got round here and give us a choice. >:-(

we have BT - quite happy with it, no problems - recently went wireless - again no problems, although we are practically on top of the exchange. Have had some dealings with Karoo - and sympathise with you Mel; wouldn't touch AOL in any of its incarnations at any price.

Tiscali do seem to have the best deals around - but have no experience of them.

B-)

Archived