Bruge Brugge

michele

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi carol,

Thanks for that yes it's a lovely place Chocolate & wine & Mussels galore the Lac of love is beautiful and why I have not a clue but we done a tour of the beer brewery :D It was a nice view from the top the stench of beer was enough to knock you flat on your back . At the end we had a free beer . All in all had a lovely weekend and the weather was fantastic you really must go only an hour down the road from calais.

michele - 2007-10-07 8:06 PM

Hi all had a lovely weekend just a few photos .

Hi Michele

We went to Brugge at the start of our five week whistlestop tour(political phrase) of europe but didnt find the aire, and stayed on the side of the canal. So where was the aire to.

Mick H.

Hi mick ,

The Aire has not long been built is is all new . There is a day stay part a night part and a Coach park day & night .

Bargeweg it is literally on the outer ring road at south at the 6 oclock position it takes around 15 minutes to the central area through the park .

passing beautiful buildings on route .

You take a ticket on entry display but do not pay .

When you come to leave you walk over to the fee machine pop in your ticket and pay and leave . Very peacful because you are on the Canals the tourist at the coach part come no where near you as they are heading in a different direction off to town .

very nice will use again.

There were a few people camped in the road one guy even had his generator and a chip hot fat fryer plugged in on the pavement.

We ordered two portions and he laughed. :D

index_001.thumb.jpg.0e1eb26d41021fb9a1a7bbe2ef069674.jpg

index_001_002.thumb.jpg.43252881d273c6b9c4e0ff85bde5ac1e.jpg

index_001_003.thumb.jpg.1b1e5b4b5e12f159b8ff66edc24bfd95.jpg

Many thanks for the information Michele, and the lovely pictures.  It looks a nice place.

You say they have a day park and a night park.  If you wanted to stay for a few days I presume you shuffle between the two parking areas?

What are the times, is it 8am - 8pm and 8pm - 8am? (couldn't quite see on the picture).

It looks like you can pay by credit card.  Do you have to collect a ticket for each session per car park? and do you have to pay per day?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I've yet to stay on an Aire.

Many thanks

W2G

Way2Go - 2007-10-09 7:27 AM

Many thanks for the information Michele, and the lovely pictures.  It looks a nice place.

You say they have a day park and a night park.  If you wanted to stay for a few days I presume you shuffle between the two parking areas?

What are the times, is it 8am - 8pm and 8pm - 8am? (couldn't quite see on the picture).

It looks like you can pay by credit card.  Do you have to collect a ticket for each session per car park? and do you have to pay per day?

Many thanks

W2G

Sorry W2Go early night ...No day is day Night is permanent you go in to where you see the half moon (On Piccy) you do not have to shuffle just stay whereyou are .We stayed in one place for two day& nights.You take a ticket on the way in put in the machine next to the hut and pay when you leave eventually no limit on length of time spent there.You pay by CC when you leave only one ticket per session .You must try although this is the dearest we have ever been on the convience for town is fantastic . It's 8 til 10 at night but god knows how they would know ? I think maybe its a polite way of saying don't wake the neighbours personally I can't see how they would know what time you got there know one is there to supervise although there is a guy in the hut next to the Coaches which are far enough away not to disturb.Some were parked in the street Oh sorry 50c to use water and 50 c to empty your black stuff .

looks nice.

Just a word of caution, is it wise to put your numberplate on a forum. People know your name and now numberplate, so if you upset someone, they could cause you a bit of trouble...........might be worth just blanking it out to be on the safe side

michele - 2007-10-09 7:54 AM
Way2Go - 2007-10-09 7:27 AM

Many thanks

W2G

Sorry W2Go early night ... No day is day Night is permanent you go in to where you see the half moon (On Piccy) you do not have to shuffle just stay whereyou are . We stayed in one place for two day& nights. You take a ticket on the way in put in the machine next to the hut and pay when you leave eventually no limit on length of time spent there. You pay by CC when you leave only one ticket per session . You must try although this is the dearest we have ever been on the convience for town is fantastic . It's 8 til 10 at night but god knows how they would know ? I think maybe its a polite way of saying don't wake the neighbours personally I can't see how they would know what time you got there know one is there to supervise although there is a guy in the hut next to the Coaches which are far enough away not to disturb. Some where parked in the street Oh sorry 50c to use water and 50 c to empty your black stuff .

Smashing, thanks Michele.

Sorry have tried to do a Map but its too low a quality.

If you go onto the Brugge official website you will find PDF /adobe file city Map which people have mentioned on this forum before .

You can down load from the Tourist & practical information link I will try to paste a poor quality actual crop of this map to show the Aires location.

Sorry I cannot its to big

If you travel north from Calais on the E40 you will be directed into Brugge at the 7 oclock position the street address for Sat nav is Bargeveg this will get you to the main Coach & Car park south of the city.

As you approach Brugge you are joining the ring road the R30 as you approach you will probably travel along the Koning Albert One Laan this takes you up to the main Train Station keep to the right there are road works outside the train Station and you will be taken under the Railway lines to join the R30 stay to the right all the way round which is named at that point the Buiten Begijnenvest stay right and you will travel past the front of the Station keep to the right as you pass the Train Station .

Your exit is to the right . Not the first right which is a sharp right but the second right imediately after both turnings are at the same location .

As you turn right you are turning into the Barge Veg the Coach park and Aire are on your right next to the Boats. The entrance is immediately to your right the entrance is the main Coach Park entrance.

Very interesting posting.

Sounds like a useful Aires, must be better than the old one, albeit you now have to pay.

Also like the photos.

I see on the photo of the Tariff Board that the OFF season rate is €15.00, but I cannot make out what the HIGH season rate is. Perhaps you could kindly mention this.

In addition, just to help to understand the charges, what did the machine charge for your 2 day stay?

Regarding your question "how would they know what time you got there" I would say you have already given the clue to this when you said that "you take a ticket on the way in"

The arrival time would be printed on the ticket (or bar coded to indicate the same)

So, when you put the ticket in the exit machine, the entry time is read and the appropriate charge is displayed. You then pay the due amount - hey presto - barrier goes up - you go out.

HappyWanderer - 2007-10-09 8:49 PM

Very interesting posting.

Sounds like a useful Aires, must be better than the old one, albeit you now have to pay.

Also like the photos.

I see on the photo of the Tariff Board that the OFF season rate is €15.00, but I cannot make out what the HIGH season rate is. Perhaps you could kindly mention this.

In addition, just to help to understand the charges, what did the machine charge for your 2 day stay?

Regarding your question "how would they know what time you got there" I would say you have already given the clue to this when you said that "you take a ticket on the way in"

The arrival time would be printed on the ticket (or bar coded to indicate the same)

So, when you put the ticket in the exit machine, the entry time is read and the appropriate charge is displayed. You then pay the due amount - hey presto - barrier goes up - you go out.

Hi AF ,

I did not know the old Aire so I,m non the wiser this was ok as Aires go .

I thought it a little strange to charge for water and empty your cassette

but who am I to argue anyway only 50c for the priveledge.

The tarif board must of at one point read differently for high than low because they have taken a sticker and covered it over .

It is E15 for both high and low and we were charged 30e for the both nights. I managed to soak the ticket on cleaning the windscreen and nearly jammed the machine but the nice man in the hut was very helpful.

What I meant by time was it says 8 am and 10pm but no one is there so unless the barrier does not go up no one would know if you entered it at 7.30am But I do take you point about the ticket being timed.

It was a very short walk into the town through the park over the bridge and past loads of building very pretty . You actually come out into where the horses are eating before they take the next passengers...

As I said very peacful and we walked off feeling very safe there quiet right next to the boats and you can have a walk along the cannals.

All in all we will be back in two weeks at half term.

If you go you wont be sorry just to say Jpeg no 2 top left hand corner these are the vans parked in the street who did not use the Aire for what ever reason . They were there for the whole two days no one came to move them one guy was even frying chips on the pavement with his Jenny

;-) ;-) ;-)

we've used the old Aire, but haven't been to Brugge for a couple of years.

The overnight charge is expensive, but the proximity to the city [and the fact that it's a lovely walk] probably makes up for that, afterall - if you were on a day visit you'd presumably have to pay parking fees.

B-)

ps also has a nicer outlook than the old freebie site :D

yacks sorry I really should of taken a photo for you all of the day stay .

It was nice and big it did not have a single van in it until the day we left and then only one . I note that both the Aire day & Night are quite small bays . Don't seem to be enough room to swing a cat .

The night time bays are all numbered & the conicide with your plug in Number . All in all very nice I will look next time we go and see how much for the day stay.

Well thanks to you and your pictures Michelle we too will be there during half term having now re arranged the week to fit it in. We have decided to go there on the first Saturday of half term so I don't want you lot filling all the good spots.

We are then going back to City Europe and down to Berck Plage, onto Croytoy next night or two, then over to Rouen for a couple of nights. Across to Honfleur for 2 more nights and then to Le Torquet for the last night, again Michelle you made it sound so nice we decided to have a look. If there are any more recommendations of places to go en route do let me know, we will have 7 and 15 year old with us, and we intend to do as much biking as we can. (or as my rear can take).

Many thanks

Mandy

Mandy see you at the Aire on sunday the first sunday of Half term .

Judge will be there as well .

Have you ever heard of that song there are 5 million bicycles in bejing ? well get your camera ready you aint see nothing till you have seen the bikes here check out the train station 8-)

maybe the youngsters will apprciate the menin gate ? maybe not but its the way i have dragged mine up :D respect and all that stuff.

You are roughly doing what we are planning .

then back to Le Touquet for the last night probably try the Equestrian centre only because of the electric if not next ddor on the Aire.

So see you in the half term ...hopefully parked just as you get in the gate .Over by the boats : (lol)

So is the Equestrian center a camp site or an Aire? I know you have mentioned it before but can't remember what you said. Is it far to the center or the beach/harbour, we know nothing about the place so relying on you for info.

Thanks so much, love the pics by the way

Mandy

Ok Mandy I will try but dyslexic lil here sometimes I dont explain it right.

Ok when you get to le touquet head for the riding school dont go there go straight past the front of it . there is a little round about and just past it you will see hopefully if its not knocked down as yet rumours a large viewing gallery . you will see others camped there also some have electric hook up . If its not open stay on that road and go to the end not much further and you will come to the Marina yatch club that is the Aire .

I will try for a map for you but today I was looking on google earth its quite good you can see both. Right next to teh river canche.

I will try to get a map for you hang on. Mandy best i can do is that on M/H matters

Brugge is Belgium - and heavily reliant on the tourist trade - with a lot coming from the US. Red light districts are not a 'feature' of Belgian towns.

Thinking of Amsterdam perhaps - or Brussels - which - being full of politicians - is bound to have one - although again you'd have to know where to look or avoid depending on your requirements, bit like knowing [not] to wander round Kings Cross area

B-)

Archived