Bummer! :-(

Mel B

:-(

Our tenant at Scun-thorpe ( :D ha - fooled the language checker!), has give us notice. Supposed to have been wanting to stay there for 'a long time', only just been a year. Stupid agents have agreed to let him go with 1 month's notice NOT ending on a rental date - so as of 11 June we'll be tenant-less. Not happy with them at all as it's not what is legally required, still, we'll sort that later with them and the Ombudsman if necessary. First we need to get another tenant in, hopefully before we go on holiday at the end of June. 8-)

At least the mortgage is only just over £100 a month so it's not going to break the bank if we don't get someone in for a month or two, its just that we'll obviously lose out on the rental income and have to keep going to cut the grass etc. Might have to get a gardener as will probably work out cheaper than travelling there each week (£5.40 return bridge fee alone!).

Anyone want to rent a nice modern 2 bed detached bungalow (with parking for a nice big motorhome! :-> ) in a quiet area? :D ;-)

Well I know that a contract is a contract but Mel they might of lost their jobs ? Times are hard la de da and all that jazz.

I suppose its better to look at it as the class half full .

Malcolms Nan diesand she left a rather large house in Stratford Upon Avon they got a tenant in ,all done legal with an agency .The guy used a solicitor as his ref he didnt pay rent for over a year .

Now in my world that works for me but it also works that he would of found himself homeless I would of been in there like a rat up a pipe and slung his stuff out and changed the locks . Suppose what I am saying is 1 year rent paid better than nothing . You'll find another soon.

J9 No I wouldnt I would offer him a sexual contract on the grounds he mows the lawn :D But looks like there aint nothing going o but the rent .

No romance just finance :D

As some of you may remember, we bought a 2nd property for buy to let late last year. We were fortunate to immediately let the place to someone we know and can trust.

When it came to the length of the lease, I explained we'd be more inclined to prefer a longer let than short, he said he couldn't commit himself to more than 6 months at a time.

I thought about this and came up with the idea of the equivalent of the football managers contract, a "rolling" contract of 6 months, it could be any length of course, 3/6/9/12 months etc.

So he, (and us of course), are permanently on 6 months notice, he signed up in Jan so we've already had 4 months more rental income so to speak than the original 6 months he wanted. Just some food for thought for you?

Martyn

Guest Tracker

The tenant holds all the aces - he/she has your home and the money and if you try and make him do things against his will you are likely to lose out in the end, such is the vindictive nature of some people when they can't get their own way.

As long as they leave the property in as good a state as when they arrived you will have come out on top because there are so many serial bad tenants out there and so little practical redress for the owners.

I don't have a problem with the tenant at all, its the ruddy letting agents who have messed it all up, they supposedly know what they are doing ... yeah, right! Not found one yet that does the job properly. If I had my way I'd kick them into touch and do it all myself but being about 45 mins away isn't ideal and at the moment we've got enough on our plate with Midge, work etc, but once we've left work ... >:-)

Mel B - 2009-05-22 5:22 PM

colin - 2009-05-21 10:25 PM

Wonder if this works, Scunthorpe

Wey hey, I got around it :D

Alright ... I give in ... how did you do it then? 8-)

I went the long winded way round and confused it with my french. Copied and pasted an alternative version of 'c' from Word 'insert' 'symbols', if you have alternate symbols/letters programmed into your keyboard it should do same. (^)

Have you thought of flipping your second home, and claiming for the gardening expenses?

It seems to work for MPs .

Don Madge for Prime Minister.

Derek Uzzell for Minister for Technology!

I like the idea of our forumites being members of government ...

What would others be do you think ... I suppose Clive could be Minister for Energy or Transport?

C'mon, who can think of some others?

I,ll second that Joy, though you should,nt take this position for granted as there are quite a few on this forum better qualified for the job.

Sorry Martyn, but anything that involves 'fees' comes under 'treasurer'. Far better that you to continue with checking the 6m rule, height of grass, night prowl.........night patrol and a decent standard of behaviour while on site etc.

howie - 2009-05-28 2:01 PM

I,ll second that Joy, though you should,nt take this position for granted as there are quite a few on this forum better qualified for the job.

Sorry Martyn, but anything that involves 'fees' comes under 'treasurer'. Far better that you to continue with checking the 6m rule, height of grass, night prowl.........night patrol and a decent standard of behaviour while on site etc.

You make me sound like a right ruddy anorak Howie. And for that I thank you for your outstanding observation skills.

Now where's me tape measure..

Dear friends and fellow candidates’

It is with great pride that can announce that the official launching of the new MMM party.*

Following on the news that Lord ThornBer is to renounce the peerage, and stand as candidate for Blackburn East and Minister of Equality, several other prominent figures are rumoured to be declaring. (Lord ThornBer is promoting the issue of the delay in re-cobbling the M62 at Blackburn.)

JudgeMental is to relinquish the bench and stand for Minister for Justice.

The Ambassador to Italy, Mr Andrew Stothert is rumoured to be flying home to Leyland as we speak.

Mr Stothert has been in intense negotiations with a Mr Marchionne to try and get the Governments scrappage scheme extended to two year old Italian vehicles.

However we have had a few setbacks also.

Mr Jonathan Lloyd has been reported to Whips office for allegedly claiming for a second home under the name of Gentleman Jack Bankcroft.

Mr David Hurrell has informed us that he will not be standing due to pressure of work, and a punishing testing schedule. See photo.

*Not to be confused with the Mmm (More money for MPs party)

:-S

408177821_tester2(600x450).jpg.2f7681b794f0247c5fa9a08fd63e08a5.jpg

402719354_testingmmm(600x450).jpg.9c18c3b93df26f504084d2ebe59551a2.jpg

Hi geof,

I fear you may have taken the post title way too literally, but whatever turns you on sweetness, does Angi know about this side of you?

Not my scene either but I have on good authority that Derek Uzzel is not adverse to a little cross dressing. :D :D :D

A question a comment and a warning

Derek Uzzell - 2009-04-23 6:55 AM

Nothing wrong with a bit of cross-dressing - as long as it's in the best possible taste of course.

From bitter experience of letting 2 properties. Please try and get the forwarding address of your leaving tenants, i had 2 tenants that had told all the utility companies 3 diferent surnames eg: smith, Jones, price, so when a letter came through for payment they told the company that smith had moved and "our" name is Jones and so on, left us with utility, catalog bills for more than 3k. I lucked out as i found out where they had moved. I know i would'nt have had to pay it back but it can give you really bad credit reference. Not all tenants are bad tho.

PS: Both tenants were nieces. Dont deal with family!

Archived