Buying a new motor home

Jimbo

Thanks for all the responses to my first thread.

is there a lot of difference in a 2.2 & 2.3 will i need the additional power and if so should i go bigger, looking at the ace Napoli or the eldis autoquest, when i purchase a new van is it ready for the road or will i have to purchase other items to get me on my way?

Engine - the 2.2 (Peogeot) and 2.3 (Fiat) are pretty similar power wise but I understand the 2.3 is a better beast but I've never driven either of the new variants.

As for what you'll need .... where do I start! They may/may not include:

hook up lead - they should give you one of these with a new vehicle but you might have to ask them for it!

gas bottle(s) - if there isn't one, don't bother to buy a 'new' one, try to see if there are any being advertise in the classified ads in the local paper or join your local 'freecycle' group and ask for one, it doesn't matter what size you get as when you change it for a refilled one you can normally get a different size without a problem.

spare wheel(!) - depends on what you get as to whether it's got one of these or if it's the new fangled 'sealant' jobbies. Personally I wouldn't have a van without a spare wheel.

Sorry, can't hang around, off to cook tea so I'll let someone else carry on ....

Guest Le Thou
Jimbo - 2008-07-12 2:50 PM

is there a lot of difference in a 2.2 & 2.3 will i need the additional power and if so should i go bigger, looking at the ace Napoli or the eldis autoquest, when i purchase a new van is it ready for the road or will i have to purchase other items to get me on my way?

Consider buying a slightly bigger Petrol engine and get it converted to LPG at 55p a litre. Just a thought.

If I was buying new I wouldn't touch a diesel

Le Thou - 2008-07-12 9:07 PM

Jimbo - 2008-07-12 2:50 PM

Consider buying a slightly bigger Petrol engine and get it converted to LPG at 55p a litre. Just a thought.

If I was buying new I wouldn't touch a diesel

Can you name a light commercial vehicle used as a base for a motorhome conversion with a petrol engine option Anthony? I can't!

D.

Jimbo - 2008-07-12 2:50 PM Thanks for all the responses to my first thread. .................when i purchase a new van is it ready for the road or will i have to purchase other items to get me on my way?

It will be ready for the road, but not ready for use.  Buying a motorhome is more like buying a house than buying a car.  They are "works in progress" and need many bits and pieces, and often a few fixed additions (wind out awning, bike rack, solar panels, satellite dishes etc etc).  The best advice, since all this clutter is costly, get just the basics, then go off in it for a week or so, and then see what seems to be missing.  Then, add those bits one at a time.  Dealers will often load you up with goodies you never actually use, though others might, and one often imagines needing things that, in the event, one doesn't.  So, keep your lolly in your wallet at first, see how it works out, and then plug any gaps one at a time.

Brian Kirby - 2008-07-13 6:55 PM
Jimbo - 2008-07-12 2:50 PM Thanks for all the responses to my first thread. .................when i purchase a new van is it ready for the road or will i have to purchase other items to get me on my way?

It will be ready for the road, but not ready for use.  Buying a motorhome is more like buying a house than buying a car.  They are "works in progress" and need many bits and pieces, and often a few fixed additions (wind out awning, bike rack, solar panels, satellite dishes etc etc).  The best advice, since all this clutter is costly, get just the basics, then go off in it for a week or so, and then see what seems to be missing.  Then, add those bits one at a time.  Dealers will often load you up with goodies you never actually use, though others might, and one often imagines needing things that, in the event, one doesn't.  So, keep your lolly in your wallet at first, see how it works out, and then plug any gaps one at a time.

This sounds very good advice. We are buying 2nd hand and have not had a motorhome for well over 6 years now. Ours will be the 1sr A-Class and to tell you the truth, I am a bit nervous, never having driven one before. So my emphasis is going to be on getting used to it rather than worrying about what is needed in the way of 'extras'. Yes, we will need to eat off something and drink out of something, no problem there. On the larger more expensive items, TV/DVD etc - can live without to start with. Not a great TV fan anyway, but would like to enjoy our favourite DVD's. I am sure someone will advise the best way to go. It has a garage, which is pretty empty but will house, bikes, scooter if needed. Certainly it will be basic 'camping out' for a while - albeit in the comfort of our Hymer B504.

Archived