CCTV camera's

nightrider

Yes I do think we are the most observed people in the world - the stats would support that. But I do feel CCTV has its place.

The vicious thugs that beat an old man with terminal cancer to death would not have been caught if the police had not installed CCTV in the mans house after a previous burglary. They have just been sentenced to a minimum of 30 years at Winchester.

So I have no issue with CCTV in our town centres. Sadly Hampshire Police did not provide the man with a "panic button" so all the CCTV did was catch his killers after he was found dead. So fat lot of good they were to him sadly. But at least the police have said that their operations manual has now been updated and Panic buttons are to be installed alongside the CCTV in future in such cases.

But I see Speed cameras in general as just revenue earners and take my hat of to Swindon Council for standing up to the hype and introducing road changes to REDUCE speed, rather than just catch the ones who go over an arbitrary limit that often has no link to road safety and where the cameras are tucked away.

The plethora of silly nanny state laws is getting too much and it is the linking of these silly laws to the big brother potential of nationwide CCTV that is most worrying.

And with Local councils using Anti-Terrorist laws to spy on people they suspect of living outside a school catchments area as they did in Dorset, you have to wonder at what further abuses of our rights could be on the cards.

I think I read somewhere that Switzerland has the largest number of CCTV cameras per capita. I certainly felt very safe there.

They can quickly compare the images of trouble-makers with the pictures from (compulsory) identitiy cards.

IMHO I would rather be safe in the knowledge that wrong-doers can be easily apprehended than worry that my civil liberties are being infringed.

I have no problem with CCTV, in fact I have three cameras at home and five at work, all are internet connected so I can log in from anywhere I can get on line and see who's about. My alarm at work also phones me if it goes off so I usually log on if I get a call to check what's happening that way I know if its better to phone my son at home (who is usually the reason the alarm has gone off) or the police.

As for public sector CCTV and speed cameras I have nothing to hide and try my hardest not to exceed the speed limits so I'm not overly concerned about them either.

D.

Guest Tracker

Given the total lack of respect for either persons or property shown by a large section of the populace I reckon that CCTV cameras are a necessary evil until all those self proclaimed 'victims' of modern society who neither work nor contribute to society are taught the principles of cause and effect by much tougher punishments - or indeed in may cases - any form of punishment at all.

However don't hold your breath as in this politically correct era it would be most unfair, indeed almost unthinkable, to actually punish any thugs, drunkards, litter louts, vandals or any other kind of petty criminal and public nuisance.

Much better to give them endless benefits and endless support whilst those who have contributed most - the elderly and frail - are left to fend for themselves.

It is amazing just how many people know their rights but not, it seems, their responsibilities.

Hi,

CCTV cameras are OK with me, provided they are their for my (our) benefit, not to snoop. I feel the same way about identity cards.

Switzerland? Isn't that where you cannot have a "tinkle" between dusk and dawn, in case your neighbours hear you?

Archived