Call the Cops!!!!

Barryd999

The 90s were the best decade ever IMO apart from perhaps the 80s, the punk years of the 70s and some of the 2000s. Im too young to remember the 60s but they didnt have big massive amps then or synthesisers so it must have been crap.

Ave it large with this! I intend to fix the country with me Rock n Roll and Lurve (and maybe drugs and booze)

jumpstart - 2020-01-08 7:27 AM

60’s and70’s, what fantastic groups. Pink Floyd, Led Z, 10years after, on and on.

Great bands especially Pink Floyd. My main influences are late 70s early 80s and grunge indy stuff from the 90s really so a right old mish mash from Punk, new wave and synth stuff to Nirvana.

Each decade produced some amazing bands and Genres I think.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-07 9:31 PM

Im too young to remember the 60s but they didnt have big massive amps then or synthesisers so it must have been crap.

Worth remembering Jim Marshall began building his amps back in the early 60's and bands like The Who were soon blasting out from stacked systems. You missed out on an amazing era for music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HUL-RoFPcc

jumpstart - 2020-01-08 3:37 PM

I’ve always been into the rock and great guitar playing ,Clapton/Cream, Outlaws, just so many. Then my daughters started nicking my albums to take to uni.

If you like listening to great rock guitar, it's worth going on YT and searching out cover versions of any favourite tunes. 95% of those uploaded will be either ok'ish or crap but sometimes you hit on a gem like this one which is absolutely spot on note perfect.

I’ve always been into the rock and great guitar playing ,Clapton/Cream, Outlaws, just so many. Then my daughters started nicking my albums to take to uni.

I done a Cream cover recently. I try and avoid covering much of the classic Rock stuff partly because I just dont have a rock voice and partly because you cant change them around much and the solos are a PIA to learn and Im lazy. I had a go at Sunshine of your Love though because someone suggested it (probably knowing I would mess it up) and it got slated (For my singing, not the guitar). Im not a fan of just recording over the record and sticking it on youtube. I like to do the whole thing including the singing (Even though Im not a singer). I was a bit pished but I think the guitar sounds alright. Ive skipped most of the singing for you and just cut to the solo (Which is out of sync) (lol)

Bulletguy - 2020-01-08 4:12 PM

Im too young to remember the 60s but they didnt have big massive amps then or synthesisers so it must have been crap.

Worth remembering Jim Marshall began building his amps back in the early 60's and bands like The Who were soon blasting out from stacked systems. You missed out on an amazing era for music.

There was a couple of full documentaries on the Marshall story on a while back. Really interesting. I dont think they started stacking them until quite late on though. From what I gather bands like the Beatles etc were playing through 30watt amps on stage in massive halls and you just couldnt hear them above all the screaming.

I have a 1970s old Marshall Valve amp 100w combo which is sat in the corner gathering dust. I keep meaning to get it refurbished as it stopped working but its so heavy I cant get it down the stairs now. I used to play it in the office years ago and it would make stuff move around the room.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-08 4:55 PM

I done a Cream cover recently. I try and avoid covering much of the classic Rock stuff partly because I just dont have a rock voice and partly because you cant change them around much and the solos are a PIA to learn and Im lazy. I had a go at Sunshine of your Love though because someone suggested it (probably knowing I would mess it up) and it got slated (For my singing, not the guitar). Im not a fan of just recording over the record and sticking it on youtube. I like to do the whole thing including the singing (Even though Im not a singer). I was a bit pished but I think the guitar sounds alright. Ive skipped most of the singing for you and just cut to the solo (Which is out of sync) (lol)

It’s interesting that two classic vocalist to rock music actually didn’t want to do it when originally asked. They were Eric Clapton and Dave Gilmore. Both very individual recognised voices both reluctant.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-08 5:00 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-08 4:12 PM

There was a couple of full documentaries on the Marshall story on a while back. Really interesting. I dont think they started stacking them until quite late on though. From what I gather bands like the Beatles etc were playing through 30watt amps on stage in massive halls and you just couldnt hear them above all the screaming.

I have a 1970s old Marshall Valve amp 100w combo which is sat in the corner gathering dust. I keep meaning to get it refurbished as it stopped working but its so heavy I cant get it down the stairs now. I used to play it in the office years ago and it would make stuff move around the room.

Yes i saw that documentary, it was very good. They still have the first amp Jim Marshall designed and built which is now pride of place as an exhibition piece at the factory.

The Beatles used Vox AC30 amps. Marshall designed his first 100w specifically for Townshend and Entwhistle who by the mid 60's were stacking systems. I remember seeing them when Moon was still alive at Bingley Hall at Stafford. Bloody awful acoustics as the place was built of prefab concrete and corrugated sheet tin, but the power was seriously loud!

The rest as they say is history and now bands can have whatever stacks the stage or rigging will hold. 60's was a good era though with rucks of bands around but more importantly, the majority could actually play their instruments.

Early 70’s going from pub to pub we went in to the student union bar at Surrey uni, just wandered in ,there was a gig on ,a guy with a v shaped guitar.....who’s that I say.....Whisbone Ash no less. In those days you could just turn up and watch Hawkwind or Black Sabbath without paying a bean.

jumpstart - 2020-01-08 6:16 PM

Tribute band from Japan absolutely nails Atom Heart Mother -Pink Floyd.

When it comes to tribute bands there is only one for PF....Australian Pink Floyd. The only tribute band to have done world tours, plus they are that good, Dave Gilmours wife booked them to play at his 50th birthday.

I wouldn't usually go to watch a tribute band but a guy i worked with who was also into PF persuaded me into going. If you haven't seen them, like PF music, you won't regret going. They are on tour now and in UK during October/November.

https://www.aussiefloyd.com/tour-dates

Bulletguy - 2020-01-08 7:07 PM

jumpstart - 2020-01-08 6:16 PM

Tribute band from Japan absolutely nails Atom Heart Mother -Pink Floyd.

When it comes to tribute bands there is only one for PF....Australian Pink Floyd. The only tribute band to have done world tours, plus they are that good, Dave Gilmours wife booked them to play at his 50th birthday.

I wouldn't usually go to watch a tribute band but a guy i worked with who was also into PF persuaded me into going. If you haven't seen them, like PF music, you won't regret going. They are on tour now and in UK during October/November.

https://www.aussiefloyd.com/tour-dates

Definitely will follow that up. Cheers.

Birdbrain - 2020-01-08 7:36 PM

You squares wont care for them but I went to watch The Sex Pistols Experience last week here in the pits ... Pretty ruddy good they were

"Ah, sing your song

About all the sad imitations

That got it so wrong"

And some of us with true taste saw SPOT at the Middlesbrough Rock Garden in 77.

Fast Pat - 2020-01-09 3:40 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-01-08 7:36 PM

You squares wont care for them but I went to watch The Sex Pistols Experience last week here in the pits ... Pretty ruddy good they were

"Ah, sing your song

About all the sad imitations

That got it so wrong"

And some of us with true taste saw SPOT at the Middlesbrough Rock Garden in 77.

Give up ... No way was a drip like you cool enough to see them ... Prove it or your trying to get some kinda street cred ... In 77 I reckon you were into Boney M and the most edgy you ever got was ELO ... Move on Flacid

As I've said to you previously I saw a lot of punk first time around at the Rock Garden, including Penetration, Upstarts, Proles, SLF etc etc.

The one concert that I missed and always regretted was the Ramones at City Hall, I had a ticket but missed the fecking train!

Just because you have to make do with the bad cover versions ......

Fast Pat - 2020-01-09 6:43 PM

As I've said to you previously I saw a lot of punk first time around at the Rock Garden, including Penetration, Upstarts, Proles, SLF etc etc.

The one concert that I missed and always regretted was the Ramones at City Hall, I had a ticket but missed the fecking train!

Just because you have to make do with the bad cover versions ......

Ive seen the Pistols sweet cheeks at Brixton Academy , seen PIL , seen God knows how many more bands of all genres than you ... Classical thorough to punk Ive seen it princess ... I can give you a list of my gigs already booked in for this year if you like , I know you like to keep tabs on me sugar plum

Archived