Camp sites on Sat Nav

Mike and Shirl

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'm all for sat-nav and although I'd use it to navigate to a site that I'd chosen from a good book, I'd be loathe to ask it for a nearby site for me to use. Sat-nav can tell you where a site is, but it can't tell you about its facilities and aethestics etc.

Last year in France we used sat-nav to find chosen sites simply by entering the sites' addresses, but beforehand we'd decided which site we preferred by studying the CC Europe book and one other.

[QUOTE]Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-01 10:34 AM

I'm all for sat-nav and although I'd use it to navigate to a site that I'd chosen from a good book, I'd be loathe to ask it for a nearby site for me to use. Sat-nav can tell you where a site is, but it can't tell you about its facilities and aethestics etc.

Last year in France we used sat-nav to find chosen sites simply by entering the sites' addresses, but beforehand we'd decided which site we preferred by studying the CC Europe book and one other.

[/QUOTE] I agree totally. The purpose of Sat Nav is to guide you between A and B. Anyone who uses Sat Nav as a quality guide is asking for trouble. Having said that, storing PoIs for organisations with a known standard (e.g. club sites, supermarkets) can be useful when you don't know an area. For instance, we've used the Tom Tom to find the nearest Tesco to where we have been staying in the past. Graham

I bought a Tom Tom 700 last year and all of the Caravan Club sites were preloaded. We have been to quite a lot of these and Jane takes you right to the gate. There were no foriegn ones listed but when we went to France, we entered the address of the site from the CC Europe Volume 1 book and we only had a problem once when she sent us down a dirt track. It was probably me entering the wrong information because it was spot on the rest of the time. Regards, John.

We've got a tom tom 710 and it has campsites in this country and abroad, we don't use the campsites very often but it has benn useful en route when we decide we've had enough driving just put in the nearest campsite and you're there. On the continental sites, on 3 occasions it hasn't taken us right to the campsite but near enough that we have been able to find it

quote "There were no foriegn ones listed but when we went to France, we entered the address of the site from the CC Europe Volume 1 book and we only had a problem once when she sent us down a dirt track." We have a Tomtom 700 too, maybe we ended up down the same dirt track! on the opposite side of the lake at Arques - from the Aire/Campsite! :-S hey ho :-> it's all good fun Carol

[QUOTE]carolh - 2006-12-06 12:36 PM quote "There were no foriegn ones listed but when we went to France, we entered the address of the site from the CC Europe Volume 1 book and we only had a problem once when she sent us down a dirt track." We have a Tomtom 700 too, maybe we ended up down the same dirt track! on the opposite side of the lake at Arques - from the Aire/Campsite! :-S hey ho :-> it's all good fun Carol[/QUOTE] Glad it wasn't just us at Arques Carol. We really jibbed at the track across the middle of the lake. Roy.

Archived