Car not starting.

Scottish Joan

Hi peeps, I am now on holiday with my child since she is on holiday from school so I was going to take her out a run in the car just so we can pass time on our first day, however, our damn car won't start. I have opened the bonnet to see if I can find any problems but I can't and I've checked how much petrol we have, the tank is 3 quarters full.

Every time I turn the ignition key, the engine just cranks but won't turn over, even when I pump the pedal. When its cranking, its a long continuous crank, I hope that helps people understand what could possibly be the issue because, I have no idea what the problem is :(.

Any advice would be much appreciated because me and my daughter would like a nice drive to pass time as we are bored sitting here in the caravan.

If cranking but failing to turn over then your battery is flat......but then you also say, "when its cranking, its a long continuous crank" suggesting that it is turning over.

Don't pump the pedal any more as you'll end up flooding it so let that subside. Worth also checking the condition of spark plugs and gaps. If you're not sure how to do that or extract them, it's a simple job anyone with a basic toolkit will do for you.

Archived