Caravan Club IS IT FAIR

michele

Dear Mrs Beard,

After conducting a regular review ,we note that you haven't used your Caravan Club Credit Card for a considrable period of time.

As you have not use your card , we assume it is no longer required,and for security reasons your account will shortly be closed .

If you wish to keep your Caravan Club Credit Card ,we simply ask that you make a purchase with it before the 15th of Julyotherwise your account will be closed..

Well is it fair ! I don't see why I should be inticed with a threat to go out spending ? Or am I wrong ....

Just got off the phone with a very nice young lady for Liverpool Victoria and according to her they heard about the letters but they are only the staff...She suggest that all the members write in I did explain to her that I may of used it for our main holiday in August but now I bloody well won't

I certainly won't be threatned into using it ....I,m obviously no good to this company . *-)

Calm down Dear... Its only a ... credit card :D :D :D but you are right and these adminerstrators need a kick up the backside with some of the ways they treat club members. Thats probably the reason I am not a CC member, why, just a feeling, a hunch, that to them its just a high powered way to raise money, S* d the members feelings, lets think commission. chas

Hi Michele- I think the best way would be to send a letter back to the credit card administrator at the CC stating what you have said, that you will use the card when you are good and ready and not to a deadline. Ask them that if this is not acceptable, you may well consider your membership options when due. You could also mention to them that your other credit card companys have never threatened you in this way with closure and you feel that they ought to rethink this aggresive policy. Tell them that unless you recieve a reply in the form of an apoligy, the card stands no chance of being used. ( and mean it) chas

Saga card closed my husbands account because he hadnt used it for some time. I have an argos or had an argos card till it expired. No communication whatsoever. They just closed it.

There is talk of some credit card companies making a charge when it is not used.

Motorhomer

Guest caraprof

OK here goes! First of all the CC is run for its members. It isn't a normal profit-making organisation with shareholders. Whilst it makes profit and has an obligation to do so on behalf of its members, every penny made goes back into developing sites and other services.

Having got that out of the way I have to say that I think that its attitude is perfectly reasonable. Why do you have a CC credit card if you don't appear to wish to use it? Why should any organisation have to go to the trouble of maintaining your account and sending a monthly statement if there are no transactions going through it?

Let me give you some financial facts. As many of you know, I'm a retailer with a small chain of shops. Because my turnover is in millions I pay about 1% commission to my credit card provider. So for every £100 that you spend on a credit card, the provider gets £1.00, or so you would think! But it doesn't, because a large slice goes to the card service supplier e.g. Mastercard or Visa. Now some small retailers pay more but the bulk of business nowadays goes through massive firms like Tesco, who will pay less than I do, so I think that my 1% is fairly accurate.

So out of the 50p that the CC gets for every £100 that you spend it has to run your account, pay out for crime and fraudulent transactions and constantly monitor your card in case it suddenly starts being used in unusual circumstances.

Yes they make money, but only because of the massive number of transactions. A tiny profit on a huge turnover!

And what really matters is that its their choice! If you have a client who is more trouble than he's worth you don't do business with him, why should you? Why should the CC have to issue cards, and the initial card and its annual or biennual replacement must cost cost pounds, when you are not keeping up your end of the bargain?

Cards now have holograms and micro-chips and soon they'll have other more sophisticated anti-fraud measures that will cost even more - why should they give these to you if you aren't spending money on it and giving them back at least their operating costs?

Finally, the choice is also yours. If you don't like it, cancel it or even cancel your CC membership, but the words cutting, nose, spite and face come to mind!

Guest caraprof
chas - 2007-06-09 4:44 PM Hi Michele- I think the best way would be to send a letter back to the credit card administrator at the CC stating what you have said, that you will use the card when you are good and ready and not to a deadline. Ask them that if this is not acceptable, you may well consider your membership options when due. You could also mention to them that your other credit card companys have never threatened you in this way with closure and you feel that they ought to rethink this aggresive policy. Tell them that unless you recieve a reply in the form of an apoligy, the card stands no chance of being used. ( and mean it) chas

If I were the administrator I'd simply tell you to bugger off if you wrote to me in that vein! What has the CC to lose? She doesn't use the card anyway so why should it continue to shell out money running her account and sending her a new, expensive card every year! Get real man!

caraprof - 2007-06-09 5:32 PM

OK here goes! First of all the CC is run for its members. It isn't a normal profit-making organisation with shareholders. Whilst it makes profit and has an obligation to do so on behalf of its members, every penny made goes back into developing sites and other services.

Having got that out of the way I have to say that I think that its attitude is perfectly reasonable. Why do you have a CC credit card if you don't appear to wish to use it? Why should any organisation have to go to the trouble of maintaining your account and sending a monthly statement if there are no transactions going through it?

Let me give you some financial facts. As many of you know, I'm a retailer with a small chain of shops. Because my turnover is in millions I pay about 1% commission to my credit card provider. So for every £100 that you spend on a credit card, the provider gets £1.00, or so you would think! But it doesn't, because a large slice goes to the card service supplier e.g. Mastercard or Visa. Now some small retailers pay more but the bulk of business nowadays goes through massive firms like Tesco, who will pay less than I do, so I think that my 1% is fairly accurate.

So out of the 50p that the CC gets for every £100 that you spend it has to run your account, pay out for crime and fraudulent transactions and constantly monitor your card in case it suddenly starts being used in unusual circumstances.

Yes they make money, but only because of the massive number of transactions. A tiny profit on a huge turnover!

And what really matters is that its their choice! If you have a client who is more trouble than he's worth you don't do business with him, why should you? Why should the CC have to issue cards, and the initial card and its annual or biennual replacement must cost cost pounds, when you are not keeping up your end of the bargain?

Cards now have holograms and micro-chips and soon they'll have other more sophisticated anti-fraud measures that will cost even more - why should they give these to you if you aren't spending money on it and giving them back at least their operating costs?

Finally, the choice is also yours. If you don't like it, cancel it or even cancel your CC membership, but the words cutting, nose, spite and face come to mind!

Hey, Frankie babes, it is you after all!  Well done Michele, he's been formally "outed" after all this time!  Dare I say welcome back?  We've missed your characteristic outbursts and provocations!

Michele, re the card, let it go.  Life's too short!  I assume you have one you do use, so just continue with that and let the CC card lapse.  It can't have been that important to you, or you'd have been using it! 

Anyhow, who wants a credit card that makes public statements about your private passtimes?  There are dozens to choose from, but in the end they are all Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Diners Club.  Who cares?  Just get one that does the business, and if you want two, get a Visa + a Master Card, because sometimes one will work where the other won't.  Chill!!

Ok firstly we are not members of the CC anymore and have not been for years .

Secondly I don't want to spend on the card because I don't need to and thankfully I am in that situation.

Thirdly they dont send me monthly statements because i don't spend with them or atleast have not done for over a year .

Forthly how about Dear mrs Beard ect ect and would you be so kind to spend £5 on a minimum purchase so 's that we can make sure the card is still in your posession.

fifthly how bloody rude can they be I would of used it as I said for the annual summer holidays but I won't now they can cancel it as far as I am concerned lastly this is not a polite way to do business what about all the years that I have kept them in business. you dont talk to customers like that they may as well of put HURRY UP AND SPEND MONEY YOU OLD BAG!

at least I would of laughed . And if I was in need of it I would use but I,m not so I don't why unearth wuld I want to use it if I dont need to ?

So frank you are a wealthy business man you go for a meal Do you pay cash or just use the card for the sake of it surely it's your choice...

michele - 2007-06-09 7:25 PM

Secondly I don't want to spend on the card because I don't need to and thankfully I am in that situation.

Are you assuming that people who use credit cards need to because they can't afford to pay in full for their purchase?

I use my credit cards for almost everything I buy and pay the full amount back each month. I think I read somewhere that about

Apart from the convenience of not carrying cash around, there is also the added bonus of extra consumer protection that comes with card purchases.

Plus I'm getting 5% interest in my current account for up to 56 days.

Guest caraprof

You are still missing the point Michele. Why should an organisation have to keep open an account, with the expense that entails when you appear to have no intention of using their product?

You say in your post that you 'may' use it in August but come on, why would you suddenly start using it when it's lain idle in your purse for a year?

Your main complaint seems to be that they've questioned why you have the card and asked that you use it if you wish to retain it. Well I think that that is responsible of them. They could have simply stopped it as other card providers did for the member above.

I'm sure that we would all like to know the answer to two questions:

Why did you even bother to get this card?

Do you think it reasonable that someone should apply for a credit card, put the provider to the trouble and expense of issuing it and maintaining the account and then not use the card for a year or even longer?

Sorry Michele, but I'm with the CC on this, and as for your other question - I have one credit card which is paid off in full each month by direct debit. I see no need whatsoever for an extra one and wouldn't dream of applying for a second card unless I intended to use it regularly.

derek500 - 2007-06-09 9:19 PM

michele - 2007-06-09 7:25 PM

Are you assuming that people who use credit cards need to because they can't afford to pay in full for their purchase?

I use my credit cards for almost everything I buy and pay the full amount back each month. I think I read somewhere that about 70% of cardholders do this.

Apart from the convenience of not carrying cash around, there is also the added bonus of extra consumer protection that comes with card purchases.

Plus I'm getting 5% interest in my current account for up to 56 days.

Frank,

NO I got the point and yes I can see why would they want to !

I suppose it's there attitude that i don't like I dont see the point in using it at the mo I have no big purchases to make .

Also why use it when I have enough ready money to pay as I go.

I just dont see the point in using it and then paying it at the end of the month . I thought it was good to keep a zero balance after all .

No Derek,

I was not meaning that I just meant I personally keep it there for us for holiday purchases I suppose the last time I used it was for holidays in France last year I paid it off when I got back and have not used since.

The lady on the phone said the same thing she said silly really considering most of our members only have the card and use on holidays !

I still think they could do it much more politer !

And finally Frank

;-) ;-) Its run by Liverpool Victoria ...who dont give a hoot what we earn what we pay as long a swe pay them I bet the CC get a big hand out though business ..Still could of done it politer

Also why use it when I have enough ready money to pay as I go.

I just dont see the point in using it and then paying it at the end of the month . I thought it was good to keep a zero balance after all.

For the reasons I've given above.

1. Your money can continue earning interest until you need to pay the bill.

2. You get more consumer protection if you pay with a credit card (not debit card).

3. Saves carrying cash.

4. Many credit cards, I use Egg, give a cashback on everything you spend.

Hello

We originally had the CC card when it had commission free for purchases in the EU so we carried it along with the Nationwide card . I think I am right in saying this is no longer the case. We no longer have this card as we mainly use the Nationwide card. OH applied for a new card and we now carry that as back up to the Nation wide. We do occasionally use it to keep the account active. The card is always paid up in full at the end of the month.

Motorhomer

Hello Frank,

I long suspected that you were still with us under a pseudonym and am I glad that you have at last been outed. For a while the forums were a little bit in the doldrums. Welcome back.

I hope that you do not antagonise or be antagonised by moderator or fellow posters. Your erudite outlook is most welcome. Things seem to be going OK as they are.

Regards, Mike

I wouldn't justify their letter with a response at all, I'd simply let it lapse. I have three credit cards, one through my bank and two from other suppliers, my bank card hasn't been used for over two years but I still received a new one when it ran out and no letter threatening to cancel it if I didn't use it. When I need to use a credit card I do and will again in future but I wouldn't be bullied into using one just to keep the account open.

D.

Going off thread slighty, but still in the same vein of being treated like idiots by big companys, the added surcharge to customers bills because they choose to pay in cash and not by direct debit I find is outragous. I have never liked direct debit payments and where before I would pay within a few days, I find myself "fined" for not conforming, I now withhold payment until the red letter arrives demanding payment. How else can one protest? chas

michele - 2007-06-09 8:27 PM Frank, NO I got the point and yes I can see why would they want to ! I suppose it's there attitude that i don't like I dont see the point in using it at the mo I have no big purchases to make . Also why use it when I have enough ready money to pay as I go. I just dont see the point in using it and then paying it at the end of the month . I thought it was good to keep a zero balance after all . No Derek, I was not meaning that I just meant I personally keep it there for us for holiday purchases I suppose the last time I used it was for holidays in France last year I paid it off when I got back and have not used since. The lady on the phone said the same thing she said silly really considering most of our members only have the card and use on holidays ! I still think they could do it much more politer ! And finally Frank ;-) ;-) Its run by Liverpool Victoria ...who dont give a hoot what we earn what we pay as long a swe pay them I bet the CC get a big hand out though business ..Still could of done it politer

M,

Since Autumn 06 the CC card is administered by Morgan Stanley (say no more) and not Liverpool Victoria.

Cut it into little pieces and throw it away which is exactly what I did.

Bazza454 - 2007-06-10 12:57 PM

M,

Since Autumn 06 the CC card is administered by Morgan Stanley (say no more) and not Liverpool Victoria.

/p>

Hello Bazza,That is what most people believe and what I was informed would be the situation BUT I still receive CC Credit Card statements from Liverpool Victoria Banking Services Ltd., and send payments to their address at County Gates, Bournemouth each month and the Customer Services line is the LVBS number.Hello Michele,Did the original correspondence actually come from the Caravan Club or from Liverpool Victoria at Bournemouth using the Caravan Club logo heading?Another advantage of the CC Credit Card is the free Site Night Vouchers but these are not a lot of use if you are not a CC member. They saved us £91.08 last season and, like other members on the forum, we use the card for most purchases and pay off the full balance each month therebye avoiding any interest payments. Regards,Mike.

Bazza454 - 2007-06-10 12:57 PM
michele - 2007-06-09 8:27 PM Frank, NO I got the point and yes I can see why would they want to ! I suppose it's there attitude that i don't like I dont see the point in using it at the mo I have no big purchases to make . Also why use it when I have enough ready money to pay as I go. I just dont see the point in using it and then paying it at the end of the month . I thought it was good to keep a zero balance after all . No Derek, I was not meaning that I just meant I personally keep it there for us for holiday purchases I suppose the last time I used it was for holidays in France last year I paid it off when I got back and have not used since. The lady on the phone said the same thing she said silly really considering most of our members only have the card and use on holidays ! I still think they could do it much more politer ! And finally Frank ;-) ;-) Its run by Liverpool Victoria ...who dont give a hoot what we earn what we pay as long a swe pay them I bet the CC get a big hand out though business ..Still could of done it politer

M,

Cut it into little pieces and throw it away which is exactly what I did.

From the 1st June 2007 M.S. agreements have been transferred to Goldfish Bank Ltd.Don

Firstly for those of us that have been asleep FRANK IS ALIVE & WELL :D

and has been for a long time!

I understand what you say Frank totally still that don't stop me from not liking the way they put it ....

Dave I agree they can keep it so I will not be forced into sending my money ...not that despertate to keep the card.

Liverpool Victorai sent it to me on behalf I suppose ?.

Michele

Get either a Nationwide or Post Office credit card, then when you go abroad you won't be charged commission on purchases.

Frank

For once I agree with you! There, I've said it, probably never to be repeated! (lol)

We used to use our Caravan Club card for everything due to the fact that you get the free night vouchers - might as well get something back for putting all that money through! Now that they charge commission on overseas purchases, we've got a Nationwide card and used it for our last French holiday. The exchange rate was very good so we will continue to use it abroad, however, in the UK we will still use the CC one as we'll keep getting the free night vouchers. Even though we're not in the CC club at the moment we might re-join if circumstances dictate that it is beneficial for us to do so, in the meantime, we'lll either hang on to the vouchers which don't expire until the end of 2008 or we'll sell them on eBay!!!!! :->

Archived