Caravan Club website woes

LordThornber

Their b****y website is down again where bookings are concerned. Does anyone know if it's linked to the current problems they're having, has it been down for a bit or what??? You cannot even read availability.

Oh, and for anyone thinking about having a pop at me for actually wanting to make a booking rather than just turning up..

Don't bother.

Fuming Of Blackburn >:-(

LordThornber - 2008-12-13 4:35 PM

Their b****y website is down again where bookings are concerned. Does anyone know if it's linked to the current problems they're having, has it been down for a bit or what??? You cannot even read availability.

Oh, and for anyone thinking about having a pop at me for actually wanting to make a booking rather than just turning up..

Don't bother.

Fuming Of Blackburn >:-(

Lord Thornber,

I would have thought that is the correct thing to do, book rather than be disappointed by turning up on spec and finding out they have no vacant pitches, you seem like an officer and a gentleman, pon my soul.

Hello Malc, how kind of you, but I'm no better than what I hope is the majority of folk on here.

i.e. fairly decent sorts, I mean, I always cancel if I cannot turn up, (only twice in 10 years of membership), and I certainly obey the rules as I like the high standards the club offers.

Which brings me back to my website moan,

PULL YOUR SOCKS UP PLEASE CARAVAN CLUB!!!!!

Martyn

Martyn

I have been in touch with both the Caravan Club HQ and a site that I want to make a booking for (Ferry Meadows for Easter).

The story as told to me by both is:

1) That the 'new' computer / booking system will be open for business from 09:00 on Wednesday 17 December 2008.

2) That the 'new' computer (or new software for the existing computer) cost several million £££'s

3) No explaination at all as to why is was not ready on the 5th December like it was supposed to be.

4) It is not possible to book for next year direct with the site(s) as this could cause overbooking.

5) That everyone is in the same boat and no one is going to steal a march on anyone else. This means that come 09:00 on the 17th there is going to be a BIG rush.

Hope that this helps explain things ......... Michael

For me the problem is that I needed to cancel a booking made for tomorrow but also to make on for Wednesday the 17th! This is necessary as the family I am going with have a much larger m/home so they need to ascertain that there are two pitches available, one being very big.

Still having just watched the news, i.e. all the flooding, it maybe that we just stay at home anyway.

spospe - 2008-12-13 5:27 PM

Martyn

I have been in touch with both the Caravan Club HQ and a site that I want to make a booking for (Ferry Meadows for Easter).

The story as told to me by both is:

1) That the 'new' computer / booking system will be open for business from 09:00 on Wednesday 17 December 2008.

2) That the 'new' computer (or new software for the existing computer) cost several million £££'s

3) No explaination at all as to why is was not ready on the 5th December like it was supposed to be.

4) It is not possible to book for next year direct with the site(s) as this could cause overbooking.

5) That everyone is in the same boat and no one is going to steal a march on anyone else. This means that come 09:00 on the 17th there is going to be a BIG rush.

Hope that this helps explain things ......... Michael

Hello Michael, thanks for your response, what a poor do though isn't it?

I only want to book for next week, never mind next year. At least the other day the website showed availability, now you cannot even see that PLUS the website said you could still book direct with the site & I suppose that's out as well?

I might just try...

Martyn

Have just spent the last 25 minutes trying to make a booking and have been repeatedly informed that the booking service "is currently extremely busy" and that I cannot make a booking.

Of course it is currently extremely busy, what do they expect when there is a start time and date for making advance bookings?

The CC must come up with a better system than the present one. It is frustrating and very annoying to have to go through this palaver every year.

Do you need to book today? We rarely book more than 4 weeks in advance as we are usually flexible what site we use. I would suggest that anyone unhappy with the situation should write/e-mail the Club, its the only way they will get a true measure of what people think. It seems to me that they should consider some sort of rolling booking programme to avoid everyone trying to book on the same day.

David

David

Do we need to book today? A fair question and the answer is probably 'no'. The reason for me trying, is that a group of us has met at Easter every year since 1978 and with the rise in popularity of caravanning / motorhoming, sites have become busier earlier, each year. My task, is to make bookings for all of us and out of a sense of paranoia, I try to get the reservations made ASAP. Hence my concern, especially as the site that we use is a very popular one.

Given that we knew what we wanted for 2009 during 2008, why should it be difficult (impossible) to make the booking for Easter 2009 whilst we were on site in 2008? We certainly would not mind placing a deposit to secure our places.

They've f****d up again with their systems - the new D-Day - today, has been flawed and the system is yet again down!!!!! Now isn't that a surprise, they've had 2 weeks to sort it out ready for today.

Unfortunately we are not able to be that fluid with dates due to working, but also we would like to occassionally to go to our first choice rather than making do with another area.

Come on Caravan Club pull your socks up and give your customers - ie the people paying your wages a system that works. Once is forgivable for, but letting the system crash again isn't.

I have been trying off and on all day from 09:00 this morning (when the system was supposed to be open for bookings). The website just says that it "is currently extremely busy" and to retry: I have.

The Advance Booking telephone number (01342 327490) carries a BT voice message saying that the network is busy.

Speak to the main CC switchboard and they will put you through to an extension which says 'we are busy please call later'

Brilliant !!

LordThornber - 2008-12-13 4:35 PM

Don't bother.

Fuming Of Blackburn >:-([/quote

Ive just read down the thread so what I had put was a duplicate of someone elses!! 8-) so Ive deleted it.

Trying to make a telephone booking today and I have been getting an 'apologies but we are busy, please try again later' message.

The problem with this is I am being charged for the message, why can they not just give the engaged signal? (no charge for that).

Eventually got through - after I don't know how many times of being charged just to hear them say they're busy try again later - are BT subsidising the CC's new computer system ?? sorry just cynical. However, where I want to go is now fully booked (I have tried the last 5 years and not been able to get this particular booking.....) so was it really worth it ?

Guest Tracker

S#d the Caravan Club with their bad attitude on almost everything.

They won't get a penny out of me until they change their prejudiced and overtly anti motor caravan outlook and their self righteous 'we are never wrong' attitude and start behaving in the member's interests rather than their own management's secret agenda.

It's not as if they don't have any money - but just ask yourself where that money came from in the first place?

We put up with them for many years until we discovered the ease of motor home holidays in France and the rest of Europe.

The clue is in the name - The CARAVAN Club I suppose?

Hi everyone, and a VERY happy christmas. Which brings me to the point! I have been too busy getting ready for the onslaught of all our family(it is our turn to "host" this year) so have not really got round to any ideas of booking for 2009 yet. (But I have booked my ferry to France in June for a ridiculous return price of £38 with Norfolk Line!). I always let the "herd" of early bookers vent their frustration trying to get through constantly without success before Christmas, and have NEVER had a problem with any booking I have done in the New Year. I agree with David - do you really need to book NOW - can't it wait another week or so? We are going to a very popular site in Bank Holiday week next year with 4 grandchildren and I have no doubts whatsoever that I will get 2 pitches booked without a problem.

The only grouse I have with the CC at present after more years as a member than I care to remember, is that their prices are rocketing. This subject has been brought up before and I can only concur with that view. I have seen the latest copy of the clubs magazine with 2009 prices and am appalled to see that at peak periods you have to pay £25 plus per night for a pitch with 2 adults only. I am increasingly using commercial sites with far more facilities e.g. a swimming pool, restaurant, etc., which are cheaper and are in just as good,if not better,locations. It is getting to the point where I wonder if it is worth staying with the club or saving my membership fee. I agree with one view posted that it does appear that the motorhome aspect of our hobby is pushed to the back burner(I say this on good authority having just changed from a caravan user).

Anyway, must go now, and get the mince pies in the oven. Have a good one!!!

Benson (lol)

When I got my first campervan some 12 or 13 years ago I joined the Caravan Club, novis as I was I got the distinct impression campervans were not welcome, not only by the camp site staff but the members themselves.

I then joined the Camping and Caravanning club and what a different attitude, yes, the CCC is the friendly club.

I have finally managed to book our pitches today. The CC Advance Booking office told me yesterday that all places at Ferry Meadows were taken, but on speaking direct with the site this morning, it seems that there were (are?) spares.

What seems to be the case is that the Advance Booking office only allocate a % of the total, leaving the sites to fill the remainder.

So all's well that ends well.

spospe - 2008-12-19 5:30 PM

I have finally managed to book our pitches today. The CC Advance Booking office told me yesterday that all places at Ferry Meadows were taken, but on speaking direct with the site this morning, it seems that there were (are?) spares.

What seems to be the case is that the Advance Booking office only allocate a % of the total, leaving the sites to fill the remainder.

So all's well that ends well.

Well well well, I'd honestly never thought of that, a spilt allocation.

That might explain the fact that last Xmas on Rowntree Park, York, (one of the clubs busiest sites), the website showed we got the last pitch available. However on the following morning of our first night, there were no less than 16 empty pitches.

Yes I know I'm a very sad man for counting, but of course my point is that people arond the UK, (or abroad for that matter), will have thought the site full by only viewing the website.

Of course there could have been an element of no shows and /or cancellations but I doubt it on a premium site like York.

Martyn

Archived