Chartres cathedral

spospe

These photos are of Chartres cathedral illuminated by laser light (there is accompanying music). This show is run every year from May to the end of September, but it is easier to see in the autumn, as it gets darker earlier, so there is less hanging round involved.

The photos of the north entrance show it in both daylight and 'painted' by lasers as it was thought to look when originally built.

We stayed at Camping Les Bordes de L’Eure, which has an illuminated path by the side of the river into the (small) city centre. It only takes 20 minutes to walk in and it is a very easy walk.

chartres1.JPG.b3fc6d7418200e4d497ec901bfda3946.JPG

chartres2.JPG.9a73735530d3fa8dff99af0ea1fe2d56.JPG

chartres3.JPG.a37da05b62bb6eabc8e49182b7dd7ba2.JPG

chartres4.JPG.c49d8f1f42bbbe24f44d7c16afb5ef06.JPG

maggyd:

The site is on page 296 of Vol 1 of Caravan Europe from the Caravan Club.

Co-ordinates are: 48.43478 and 1.49966

Address: Camping les Bordes de L'Eure, 9 Rue de Launay, 28000 Chartres.

Telephone: +33 2 37 28 79 43

http://www.auxbordsdeleure.com/

The last weekend of the season offers a much better spectacle with additional light shows all over the centre and other live performances from various artists; well worth the visit (Saturday 20 September last year).

Enjoy ............ Michael

Thanks Michael :-D we could just be lucky then although we were intending going to Giverney, then I thought Chartres which could be round about the 12th Sept we cross on the 8th! when you say end of season! I hope everything isnt closed before we come back! but no it wont be will it I can remember we were in France second week in Oct a couple of years ago and saw sites open although we werent in Van we were travelling in the car to and from our Sons place in Fontenieres.

Oh and of course we only have Vol 2 which covers Germany etc;

maggyd:

We have visited Chartres last year for the Festival of Lights and there was no problem with sites being closed at the end of September.

This year the Festival is on 19-20 September and it is well worth attending if at all possible (we will be going again): see

http://ca-en.franceguide.com/Lights-of-Chartres-2009.html?NodeID=1&EditoID=189072

Michael

Thanks for that info Michael. Always go north and south via Chartres but usually use the ring road. Not sure when I will be going next but will attempt to stay on that site which seems to be open into November.I went off the usualy route three weeks ago in order to use the wifi at McDonalds (had to go inside this one as the signal was not good) and took a wrong turning which led to the site. I didn't realise that you could walk into the town from there.

Archived