Cimate control

howie

Both require servicing. Climate control is just A/C with a control thermostat.

Personally having had an Audi with Climate Control I can honestly say I did not like it. Must be my "time of life" but I like to have a constant flow (fan setting) of either warm or cool air depending on how I feel. I found Climate Control frustrating – rather clever! – but none the less frustrating.

Cold mornings? – I like a blast of toasty warm air.

Hot days? – give me a constant blast of fridge cold air!

Howie, if you're looking for a new car give the Ford Galaxy a look, they have climate control but allied to an Eberspacher type diesel fired space heater s oyou get instant heat on startup, well as close to instant as you can get. Plus you can set the temperatures differently for the front of the car and the rear.

D.

Guest Tracker

Climate control is one of those clever developments we never knew we needed until it was sold to us - and now we can't live without it, it seems!

Most of us managed for years with - or if you are my age - often without - just a heater of varying degrees of inefficiency and misted windows and cold feet were a pain in the bum.

Then along came air vents which helped the windows a bit, followed by air con which really helped a lot - but you still had to manually adjust the temperature slider thingy and fan speed according to needs.

Now we have automatic climate control and all we have to do now is set the temperature dial and leave it to sort itself out - but we still need to adjust the temperature and distribution according to where it is needed most. So maybe it is not such an advance after all - or are we all just too lazy to reset the heater as required?

So although climate control is a nice touch I would not be put off buying a good car with just plain 'old fashioned' air con, but on balance I would now prefer not to buy any car without one or the other.

I forgot to say that if you intend using the car in hot weather - like abroad in Southern Europe in particular - then air con is an absolute MUST have as it often represents the only way to stay cool. Even in the UK when it does get what we call hot it is wonderful to be able to remain cool in the car.

I agree - having had cars with air con I personally would not buy one in future without it.

In Spain it's absolute murder in the summer in any vehicle without air con; and even when I was living in the UK previously, air con was great - very good in the winter for demisting windows really quickly in rainy/cold situations if you set it to heat-on-and-aircon-on, as it dehumidifies the air in the cabin.

In my experience there's no need for annual servicing - it's a closed system, so simply keep using the system until/unless you notice that the chilling effect is reduced, and then just get it re-gassed.

Bit of a mixed bag with the replies, and with all due respect to differing opinions it seems climate control comes over as slightly "iffy", so a/c will be my prefered option.

Quite happy with the old fiesta i,m using at the moment apart from some difficulty getting in and out due to the low seat height. Two dicky knees makes this awkward at times and looking for something to make life easier. With a budget of around £6000 i,m hoping to get a smallish deisel mpv type of car. The Renault Scenic or Vauxhall Meriva are the sort of thing I have in mind, but all thoughts and opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you.

bigal55 - 2007-11-20 7:11 PM

howie, like most things it,s down to personal choice,i,d go for climate every time, but if your budget can stand it get some form of aircon, global warming isn,t going away

Understand that Alan and admit to being a bit of a ditherer when it comes to buying, especially expensive items. This is were this forum comes into its own, where you can sound out other opinions before deciding whats right or not for your own personal requirements.

Guest Tracker

I have a 2.2 diesel Toyota Verso mpv Howie (with climate control!) and as well as being a very pleasant car both to be in and to drive, it is very easy to get in and out of.

I had a 1.6 petrol Renault Scenic a few years back and if it had not suffered so many reliability and build quality issues it too would have been a great car as it too was comfortable.

Personally speaking, having now had a Honda and a Toyota, I will never buy another Renault car - but that is just my own personal point of view.

I also have had very good service from several diesel Citroens, including a Picasso, over the years and as Picassos are now both plentiful and reasonably priced theses days you could do worse - but try and get a warranty - just in case!

Vauxhall Merivas often do seem to get decent press reviews as well!

Archived