Citizen band radios

nightrider

Hi, I had no idea that Citizen Band was still being used, had one in the late eighties early nineties, great fun they were too, made many friends,

and used them on our long trips to Scotland ,to keep in touch,en route, with our friends.

As the law stands I guess they can only be used if stationary now, similar to

mobile phones in cars lorries etc, Someone will tell you if they are using one , I am sure, Regards Ria.

Don,t see much point in them these days ( unless you are interested in CB ) with sat nav and mobile phones doing contact and navigation for you now. Traffic jams can now be picked up on the car radio and the one area they would be of help is getting ' local information' such as a suitable site to park up on, petrol stations or local attractions etc. where i'm sure there's always someone on air who would be of help.

Mel B has woken me up!

Evening all.

Yep CB radio is great.

The legislation introduced making it an offence to use hand held mobile phones while driving was first introduced in December 2003. Today this legislation includes supervising a driver while holding a mobile phone, and to cause or permit a driver to drive while holding a mobile phone. This legislation was specifically worded so as not to include normal two way radio equipment which is exempt. Normal two way radio equipment is fitted in most emergency service vehicles and is used extensively by Radio Amateurs and CBers. However if the 2 way radio equipment CAN also be used as a telephone then it is included in the legislation and is prohibited from mobile operation. There are a few other exemptions, like using your mobile phone for calling the emergency services for example. These exemptions are clearly stated in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No.4) Regulations 2003 Statutory Instrument 2003 No 2695 which is the one to quote if challenged by the Police. Statutory Instrument No. 2695 can be found at:

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032695.htm

Having said all the above it is far better if the two way radio equipment used while mobile is operated by your passenger and not the driver of the vehicle. If you are alone then a properly installed bit of radio equipment with a hands free kit is far preferable to holding a handset or a microphone. Nothing with wires attached to the driver is best. Anything that takes your attention away from your driving or compromises visibility or proper control of the vehicle is potentially dangerous.

Irrespective of what radio equipment you may have you can still be prosecuted for Dangerous Driving” or “Driving without due care and attention” .

So yes, radio’s can be very useful but please use them wisely.

10 / 4 The Ayatollah

Archived