Clear roof

michele

Hi Michele, we have seen a few of the skylights (call em what you like) during the search for our next van. Surprsingly we have not seen one yet that opens so that should help a bit with the leaks. The light they let in is staggering, it really opens the cab up. On the downside, we hadn't give this much thought until we read Andy Stotherts comments, (MMM van tester I'm sure you know). He wrote of the heat they will let in and not all of them have blinds.... :$

Martyn

No I didn't read it rather silly because I for one hate to see sunlight until I,m awake fully . I like to wake up under my own steam and if the sunlight floods the room then that wouldn't do me.

rather off putting and I would imagine hopefully that a blind could be fitted for someone like me a vampire :D

Guest Tracker

Does a big skylight mean no overcab storage?

Is it just a fashion gimmick?

Will it reflect light on the windscreen at night?

Will it make it difficult to see the dash lights, speedo and sat nav?

A roof is always the worst place for heat loss at night?

If it is angled will it collect dead flies and be difficult to clean?

Our Tracker has a Heki over the centre dinette and I notice that the sat nav is harder to see in bright sunlight than was the case with the rear Heki in the Starspirit.

Not all claimed progress is true progress but no doubt the vans look better and brighter in the dealer's showroom?

I'm not convinced of their worth?

Tracker - 2007-10-16 6:04 PM

Does a big skylight mean no overcab storage? YUP, USUALLY.:-(

Is it just a fashion gimmick? A BIT I SUPPOSE.:-S

Will it reflect light on the windscreen at night? HOW? 8-)

Will it make it difficult to see the dash lights, speedo and sat nav? NOT IF YOU'RE IN THE WAY?*-)

A roof is always the worst place for heat loss at night? LIKE THE TOP OF THE HEAD THEN - ALWAYS WEAR A HAT IN COLD WEATHER. :$

If it is angled will it collect dead flies and be difficult to clean? DON'T THE FRONTS OF MOTORHOMES DO THIS ANYWAY?:D

Our Tracker has a Heki over the centre dinette and I notice that the sat nav is harder to see in bright sunlight than was the case with the rear Heki in the Starspirit. CAN'T YOU JUST CLOSE THE BLIND IF YOU'VE GOT ONE?B-)

Not all claimed progress is true progress but no doubt the vans look better and brighter in the dealer's showroom?

I'm not convinced of their worth?

One thing I've observed with some though, aren't some of them only single glazed and not opening and also don't have blinds? They'll lose even more heat in cold weather and then you cook in hot weather.

We have two car style sun-roofs in the roof of our hi-top. They open easily [albeit manually] and don't leak at all.

BUT - you need mossie screens and the ability to darken them. Not found losing heat to be a problem and don't mind being woken by the sun - it's always nice to see it B-) but it does mean that the van can get unbearably hot without that shielding.

Wouldn't be without them - they mean we get a lot more natural light in the van, and I don't like artificial lighting except when absolutely necessary.

We use black mossie screens attached by good old velcro. [what did we do before it was invented *-) ]

B-)

Mel B - 2007-10-16 8:54 PM

One thing I've observed with some though, aren't some of them only single glazed and not opening and also don't have blinds? They'll lose even more heat in cold weather and then you cook in hot weather.

There is also a "reported" condensation factor, on the single glazed units.

I think this could cause a few long term problems. ?

Archived