Cold Weather Parking

Wingpete

Cold Weather Parking  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'll probably be proved wrong by someone who's qualified, which I'm not but I would say that, as long as it is safe to do so, that you should leave the handbrake off. There must be a chance of your brakes freezing on.

If ever I garage my car after it's been raining, and especially when I know that I may not be driving it for a couple of days, I always leave the handbrake off as the discs may corrode slightly and stick to the pads.

Well I'm a qualified light vehicle mechanic, does that count? Leaving a vehicle parked with the handbrake off but in gear is a good idea, especially when its parked on level ground. Vehicles parked for extended periods with the handbrake on is not good because the pads/discs or shoes/drums can become siezed through corrosion. Hope this helps.

D.

Can't elucidate more 'cos I've been drinkin!!!

For 30+ years I have been parking with handbrake on, I have never had the handbrake sieze on due to freezing on a 'working' vehicle. I have had rear brakes stick due to general corrosion, but this affected foot brake. I do at present have a vehicle which has brakes all round siezed on and siezed clutch, but it was left for around 12 months. I do get front discs on T25 stick on overnight, going bang when first moved, at first I thought this was because of age they where starting to corrode, but after replacing one caliper that had corroded it still happens.

So from my experience with the vehicles I have driven I would say it makes no difference if you apply handbrake, unless you are parking for months.

If you do leave a vehicle parked with the handbrake off it is a good idea to leave it in gear ( I always leave them in gear whether or not the handbrake is on) if you are worried about it rolling away you could place a chock in front/behind one or more wheels. Its a very good idea to run the engine up to full working temp every other week, I have known vehicles have the engines seize up due to corrosion in the cylinders when left outside in the cold for more than a week or so. Ideally take it out for a drive every other week and you should avoid the brakes seizing as well.

D.

Wingpete - 2006-12-09 5:21 PM

When travelling where temps get down to freezing, is it advisable to park up with handbrake off, leaving /van in gear ?

The 'when travelling' bit raises the question of where the vehicle is being parked. Fine on your drive and a good idea not to put the handbrake on, but please remember that if it is parked in a public place, it is an offence not to set the handbrake.

Roy.

Roy - 2006-12-10 10:12 AM

When travelling where temps get down to freezing, is it advisable to park up with handbrake off, leaving /van in gear ?

The 'when travelling' bit raises the question of where the vehicle is being parked. Fine on your drive and a good idea not to put the handbrake on, but please remember that if it is parked in a public place, it is an offence not to set the handbrake.

Roy.

Roy explain please why if in gear. what law states that . Not that i doubt you

Legalitys aside, I wouldn,t leave any vehicle for any length of time without the handbrake on and left in gear. You only have to look back on the damage done by the recent high winds to realise the effect this might have on high sided coachbuilts, chocks or not.

I,t always amazes me that after paying out a small fortune, some people can park their vans up at some compound and just walk away leaving it there for weeks or sometimes months on end without a second thought. All it takes is a few hours every now and then for a short drive and airing to keep everything in a reasonable condition.

Off thread for a very brief moment. The "Caravan Channel,s" (12.30pm ..ch.189) showing panel van conversions and trailer tents today, and worth having a look at. Howard.

Hi Wingpete.

I'm sure it is a good idea to leave the van in gear, either with or without the handbrake on. In our case, we have air brakes so (I'm told) the brakes are always on, unless air is made available to take them off... or something like that.

However, the point I would make is that in OUR case, when parked up we tend to store all sorts of junk in and around the 'cab' area. It is the place where all the miscellaneous stuff that is slung on the bed when we are travelling gets put. Consequently I am frequently burrowing through the resulting collection of carrier bags etc looking for something - and on numerous ocasions I have knocked the van out of gear - I don't always even notice that I have done it.

So, depending on the layout of your van, and whether you carry as much junk as we do - take care!!

Vixter

michele - 2006-12-10 11:07 AM

Roy - 2006-12-10 10:12 AM

Roy.

Roy explain please why if in gear. what law states that . Not that i doubt you

That is the law, make no mistake, it is an offence to leave a vehicle in a public place without setting the handbrake. The reason is simply that the gear box does not stop a vehicle from moving, that is what the hand brake is for. Many a time has a vehicle been left in gear without the handbrake on when the vehicle has started to move with disastrious consequences.

If I am leaving the van (level) on my own drive for a lengthy time I usually chock a front and back wheel and leave the handbrake off for the reasons stated.

I can remember a policeman giving evidence in court in a 'defective brakes' case when he said that the vehicle could easily be moved despite the fact that the handbrake was on. The magistrate said, " Is that on the level officer?"The policeman replied, " It certainly is your worship, I don't tell lies".

michele - 2006-12-10 8:27 AM

Just out of interest Do people also turn their van over and let it run a while in the winter to keep the battery from going flat .on a don't use it loose it kind of thing .O/T apologies

Mine is a bit heavy to turn over but I suppose if I did I would not need to worry about whether the handbrake was on or off, bu***rs up the roof though. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Mike.

Archived