Cold snap

nightrider

Promises to get warmer over the next few days Malcolm, but like you i,m starting to get fed up with this 'cold snap' with either frost or icy rain/snow seeming to be the norm. At least three weeks of it now and the only bright spot is the shortest day comes next week and we can then look forward to, err, January, February, March :-S

With it being so cold, wet icy or snowy I have not been able to have a good mooch about my van, over the weekend I fitted a reversing sensor which is really good, I also bought a reversing camera, set it up but was not satisfied with it so I returned it to Maplins and got my money back (They have a good returned goods policy) guess its just a case of sitting out the cold snap, only good thing about it is that i am off work till the second week in january.

Since losing quite a lot of weight recently, (35lbs and counting), I am really feeling the cold. Like Malcolm, I too have "shut the west wing off" in the house to warm it up a bit more.

The only time I'm warm is when visiting Mum in her greenhouse, (sorry ultra modern flat).

Today I really need to give the van a wash, it's the best chance I'll get before going away in it and the effort I require to motivate myself to slash gallons of cold water about is considerable.

Anyway if I can get my lazy butt away from this laptop it'll be start I guess. Now where's me wellies...

Frozen Of The North :D

Tony, how's this for cold then??

When we owned our butchery business, in the colder months we regularly hung our Saturday delivery of a side of beef, (half a beast), in the front of the shop over the weekend as it was cool enough.

Until... one weekend when it was so cold we went in on Monday and it was frozen!. We literally had to put the beef in the fridge to defrost as of course the temp of the fridge was warmer than the outside.

Claim to fame time, the late Sunday Express Sports Reporter, Ronnie Kennedy, was a customer and he wrote a little article about it and it finished up on the front page.

Martyn

Guest Tracker

The argument for 'climate change' as the correct description for a dynamic planet and not 'global warming' as a taxation incentive comes to mind as does the danger of making too much out of short term (less than 10000 years!) weather traits.

Those of a certain age may remember dire warnings of a 'mini ice age' from the 'experts' less than thirty years ago!

What a load of wimps unable to cope with frost, snow and fog we as a nation have become and wouldn't our forefathers have laughed at our inadequacies in 'just getting on with the job'!

That sounds familiar - I wonder what he meant by that phrase?

gadjo - 2008-12-16 9:52 AM

when I were a lad we used wake up to ice on the inside of the windows!!!!!

I can remember that an' all.

LordThornber - 2008-12-16 9:04 AM

Today I really need to give the van a wash, it's the best chance I'll get before going away in it and the effort I require to motivate myself to slash gallons of cold water about is considerable.

Go on Martyn, the exercise will do you good (lol) Anyhow, it supposed to be a balmy 9 deg C today isn't it? :-)

Graham

GJH - 2008-12-16 10:38 AM

gadjo - 2008-12-16 9:52 AM

when I were a lad we used wake up to ice on the inside of the windows!!!!!

I can remember that an' all.

LordThornber - 2008-12-16 9:04 AM

Go on Martyn, the exercise will do you good (lol) Anyhow, it supposed to be a balmy 9 deg C today isn't it? :-)

Graham

Graham, I've just about plucked up enough courage to go and get the plethora of tackle together, OK here goes, I'm off, see you all in a while, cold and soggy 8-)

Martyn

LordThornber - 2008-12-16 10:57 AM

Graham, I've just about plucked up enough courage to go and get the plethora of tackle together, OK here goes, I'm off, see you all in a while, cold and soggy 8-)

Martyn

Well done Martyn. Now, would you like to pop over to Tees-side and do mine? (lol)

Graham

I well remember the cold winter of 1947 when the whole of the country was snowbound for months, my papa could not find any work and we were in dire straits.

I remember him saying to my mama, no other way out, I will have to go down to Harry Crowes pawnshop and try and pawn my war medals, as long as I live I will never forget my papa, with tears streaming down his cheeks as Harry Crowe only offered papa a miserly fifteen shillings for his Iron Cross first class which he won on the Russian front.

On trudging home through waist high snow we called it at the coal yard where papa bought a bag of coal.

What a feast that night, making toast, roasting spuds and lovely and warm in front of a blazing fire, mama had gone down the back yard to the outside lavvy, papa became quite concerned when she had been away for a good while, he went to investigate and found her frozen to the wooden toilet seat, he had to get a blowlamp to free her.

When the thaw came the whole of the lower end of town was flooded when the river burst its banks, I will never forget the sight of 3' long rats dragging the bodies of people who had drowned in the flood waters to their holes in the river banks, those were the days eh?

Nice and snug here even for a southern softie.

Have not seen any frost in the garden here yet and at present it is 9.5C outside.

Tiny little fisherman style cottage mid terrace (1 room wide and 2 of us can almost stretch out and touch the walls each side) lso well insulated and the small rads off of a condensing boiler soon heat things up if needed. Much different from sprawly bungalow up north in Wiltshire we recently moved from.

Whoa - there are still surfers etc in the sea playing about plus last weekend young ladies with their swimming costumes on.

"Turn the heating off because its getting too hot darling"

In our second house (1984-88 I think!), we often got loads of ice on the inside of the windows ... and they were double glazed! 8-) Only in our third house did we have central heating ... pure luxury!:->

I can remember very well, being at home as a kid and being absolutely frozen, never getting a good night's sleep because of it and then having to get up to go to school and grabbing my clothes before running downstairs to get dressed in front of the fire. :$

Been out this afternoon with Midge in his buggy (as he was a bit fed up) with the other dogs walking at the side/half pulling it along! It wasn't too bad, I did have my hat and gloves on but didn't feel the cold at all so it can't have been that bad as I usually feel it something rotten!

Now if you want to try something really cold ... try sorting out a load of plums that you've been defrosting where some are still solid ... that really chills you down!!!!! :-(

I was quite surprised this morning on waking, everywhere was froze up but when the sun came up the frost soon melted.

Spent the day dismantling a fruit cage by the side of my workshop and with the 20'X20' space created I intend to use as a dedicated space for my camper.

So here is a question, would it be a good idea to leave the van "hooked up" and if so on what "setting" vehicle or habitation?

I have put a warm air blower on frost stat control in the van and opened all the cupboards and drawers to allow free air circulation, I do of course take the van out to give it a run every couple of days and all water storage has been drained down. What do you think?

omidknight - 2008-12-16 7:42 PM

Nice and snug here even for a southern softie.

Have not seen any frost in the garden here yet and at present it is 9.5C outside.

Tiny little fisherman style cottage mid terrace (1 room wide and 2 of us can almost stretch out and touch the walls each side) lso well insulated and the small rads off of a condensing boiler soon heat things up if needed. Much different from sprawly bungalow up north in Wiltshire we recently moved from.

Whoa - there are still surfers etc in the sea playing about plus last weekend young ladies with their swimming costumes on.

"Turn the heating off because its getting too hot darling"

That little cottage sounds idyllic, just what I fancied when I toyed with selling this mausoleum we live in, if I were to have bought a cottage type property I would need enough land to park my vehicles and somewhere to store my lifetimes collection of woodworking machinery.

The thing that put me off selling was the sheer amount of money that would have ended up in other peoples pockets, namely the government, solicitors etc etc, I worked it out that it would have cost us in the region of 20 grand.

• 2 weeks later...

Cooler here -2C outside. Slight frost on roofs and more on cars but none on grass. Heating on for 40 minutes this morning although the first time since 21st December when the rads were on for 2 hours in the evening.

One can always find fault with any house if one tries. IE views not so good as one up the hill or too windy on the hill, noisy buses or no buses near, detached and lonely or terraced and noisey. Certainly this one would not suit you Malcolm - no parking - no road outside - 40 metre footpath only access - modern boiler - questionable build quality

Well I can say you are getting away light Rob, thick coating of frost here on the Welsh Hills today, all the trees are white over and the grass is standing to attention in a stiff white coat, it was below freezing in the conservatory first thing, but the sun is on it now and slowly warming up. Think it is one of the prettiest pictures you can get everything coated in frost. Yesterday to get blow the cobwebs away went for a walk through the woods, was cold but now frost.

Hope you all had a good Christmas. Carol.

Archived