Come on Bullet explain?.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Why the UK is currently doing just as well......or better than the majority of similar sized EU countries? ;-) .......

Just askin :D ......

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-04-27 6:07 PM

We all know that’s only half the facts. The figures are wildly off.

Dosen't stop our rabid Lefties taking them as gospel *-) ........

To bash Boris with >:-( ......

Frankly at a time like this 8-) .......

They are beneth contempt :-| ......

pelmetman - 2020-04-27 6:09 PM

Do you actually believe Johnson and his government should just have carte blanche to do WTF they like during this crisis and not be questioned or held to account? Face it, they completely fooked it up. We are an island yet it looks like we have the worst death figures in the world per population size. FT reporting on ONS figures the other day of over 41000 deaths. Nowhere in Europe has suffered that badly. The US has more but its population is many times that of ours.

The list of fcuk ups is endless. How can you defend them and call out those that speak against them as beneath contempt?

Barryd999 - 2020-04-28 10:36 AM

pelmetman - 2020-04-27 6:09 PM

Do you actually believe Johnson and his government should just have carte blanche to do WTF they like during this crisis and not be questioned or held to account? Face it, they completely fooked it up. We are an island yet it looks like we have the worst death figures in the world per population size. FT reporting on ONS figures the other day of over 41000 deaths. Nowhere in Europe has suffered that badly. The US has more but its population is many times that of ours.

The list of fcuk ups is endless. How can you defend them and call out those that speak against them as beneath contempt?

Wonder if China Virus has been as racist in the rest of Europe as it has been here , seemingly picking on and attacking the black and Asian community much more than it should have

pelmetman - 2020-04-27 5:48 PM

Why the UK is currently doing just as well......or better than the majority of similar sized EU countries? ;-) .......

Just askin :D ...…

Now, let's try some sense! (OK, I know, time wasted, but what the hell!)

First, the numbers quoted are all as recorded by the various countries listed, all of which are using different bases for counting/recording.

Second, we know that the UK has not been accurately recording cases of infection or numbers of deaths attributed to Covid-19.

So, given the above, comparisons will in any case be fairly meaningless.

But, to try to make something comparable from the above suspect data sets, I've tried to make three different ways of seeing the same numbers, by sorting them by A) populations, B) by the recorded numbers of people infected as a percentage of population size, C) as a percentage of B who died.

A is "Covid by Population", B is "Covid by infections", and C is "Covid infected by death".

I've also edited down the country list to eliminate some of the "tiddlers" and to eliminate the outliers, so that we at least compare apples with apples. See what you think the picture is, but I don't think it would please either Pangloss or Polyanna. :-D

Covid-by-population-copy.jpg.ff2323b3fab7db4b5fd994ea89dd29af.jpg

Covid-by-infections-copy.jpg.af2d1c17dde1087cc08b7ce849c9dc81.jpg

Covid-infected-by-death-cop.jpg.c65d73ae2f8e2f24e97eae0d4621fb14.jpg

An excellent summary there Brian though i note Pelmet has gone extremely quiet on this and even his few "supporters" have run away but you will be lucky to get anything resembling a mature response from him.

Deaths have risen again with almost double the daily amount from yesterday taking our total now to 21.749 though that figure may be as much as 55% higher. 4.343 people in care homes died from Covid19 in just 14 days so it's already 25,000+.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/uk-records-4343-care-home-coronavirus-deaths-in-a-fortnight

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-04-28 1:25 PM

Second, we know that the UK has not been accurately recording cases of infection or numbers of deaths attributed to Covid-19.

Has Germany been recording deaths from COVID19 in care homes? ;-) .........

"Due to the lack of testing in Germany, there is also undoubtedly a large number of unreported cases. Across the country, some 800,000 people live in elderly care homes. However, there is no official statistic for the number of COVID-19 cases in these facilities."

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/04/10/care-a10.html

Apparantly not >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-28 5:13 PM

An excellent summary there Brian though i note Pelmet has gone extremely quiet on this and even his few "supporters" have run away but you will be lucky to get anything resembling a mature response from him.

Deaths have risen again with almost double the daily amount from yesterday taking our total now to 21.749 though that figure may be as much as 55% higher. 4.343 people in care homes died from Covid19 in just 14 days so it's already 25,000+.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/uk-records-4343-care-home-coronavirus-deaths-in-a-fortnight

Sorry Bullet......its that time of the month ;-) .........

I've run out of data so as much as I like abusing Losers it's currently costing me extra dosh to do so 8-) ......

But don't worry :D ........

Normal offending will resume in 3 days >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-04-29 9:13 AM

"Due to the lack of testing in Germany, there is also undoubtedly a large number of unreported cases. Across the country, some 800,000 people live in elderly care homes. However, there is no official statistic for the number of COVID-19 cases in these facilities."

Even so, look at Brian's first chart by population. Germany are clearly doing something right. The data for individual countries will of course be inaccurate because of the different ways of calculating and recording deaths but its undeniable now that we are probably in the lead in terms of deaths. However also look at the high mortality rate. The actual suspected mortality rate for Covid was I think between 1-2% but the leading countries are showing way more than that in the chart which tends to suggest many many more have died than the figures show unless the mortality rate here is in fact genuinely much higher than it was in south east Asia. could be, more vulnerable people maybe (less healthy?)

One theory I had about Germany and its based on no science whatsoever is in my experience they are superb at following rules. Anyone who does not follow laws and rules in Germany is considered a bit mad and an outcast. Here of course we suffer from "English" Exceptionalism and also a government that has only loosely told us to behave and lock down with a bit of tutting going on if you break the rules.

Yes agree Germany do as they are told. I remember my brother who lived there saying to me he couldn’t cut the lawn on Sunday because it wasn’t allowed and he would get told off if he did. Imagine that in this country.

But they are the only similar size country to do better.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-04-29 10:02 AM

Even so, look at Brian's first chart by population. Germany are clearly doing something right. The data for individual countries will of course be inaccurate because of the different ways of calculating and recording deaths but its undeniable now that we are probably in the lead in terms of deaths. However also look at the high mortality rate. The actual suspected mortality rate for Covid was I think between 1-2% but the leading countries are showing way more than that in the chart which tends to suggest many many more have died than the figures show unless the mortality rate here is in fact genuinely much higher than it was in south east Asia. could be, more vulnerable people maybe (less healthy?)

One theory I had about Germany and its based on no science whatsoever is in my experience they are superb at following rules. Anyone who does not follow laws and rules in Germany is considered a bit mad and an outcast. Here of course we suffer from "English" Exceptionalism and also a government that has only loosely told us to behave and lock down with a bit of tutting going on if you break the rules.

I guess if you ignore deaths in care homes then your figures will look better :-| .......

Plus......If you ban exports of PPE must help *-) .......

Just telling EU how it is in the real world ;-) .......

Caaaching!!!.......that's another 50p gone 8-) .......

Which is exactly the point I made when pointing out that the information you were taking comfort from was of varying quality and detail.

All you are now confirming is that a) that is the case, and b) neither the UK nor Germany have accurate figures against which a meaningful comparison between even those two countries can be made.

BTW, it doesn't matter whether Germany does, or does not, record deaths in care homes (or even whether a German care home is the equivalent of a UK care home) - since if the UK data is unreliable no meaningful comparisons can be made.

I assume you downloaded the actual data - all 1829 rows of it, (from Azerbaijan to Zimbabwe) - before commenting? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-29 3:06 PM

Which is exactly the point I made when pointing out that the information you were taking comfort from was of varying quality and detail.

All you are now confirming is that a) that is the case, and b) neither the UK nor Germany have accurate figures against which a meaningful comparison between even those two countries can be made.

BTW, it doesn't matter whether Germany does, or does not, record deaths in care homes (or even whether a German care home is the equivalent of a UK care home) - since if the UK data is unreliable no meaningful comparisons can be made.

I assume you downloaded the actual data - all 1829 rows of it, (from Azerbaijan to Zimbabwe) - before commenting? :-D

Pelmets peculiar obsession over Germany blinds reality and he wants to believe UK is doing 'as well or better' despite our published figures already showing more than three times that of Germany which also has a higher population than ours so how and why Pelmet believes we are 'doing better' than Germany is beyond me!

Todays death toll figure UK......21,678. Germany......6,374. Germany has obviously been doing something right.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-29 5:07 PM...............Pelmets peculiar obsession over Germany blinds reality and he wants to believe UK is doing 'as well or better' despite our published figures already showing more than three times that of Germany which also has a higher population than ours so how and why Pelmet believes we are 'doing better' than Germany is beyond me! ……………………..

Perhaps he was frightened by a German when he was a baby! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-29 5:25 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-29 5:07 PM...............Pelmets peculiar obsession over Germany blinds reality and he wants to believe UK is doing 'as well or better' despite our published figures already showing more than three times that of Germany which also has a higher population than ours so how and why Pelmet believes we are 'doing better' than Germany is beyond me! ……………………..

Perhaps he was frightened by a German when he was a baby! :-D

He still is! :D

Guest pelmetman

Yeah Brian :-| ..........

If you say so *-) ......

Yes we are on an Island, but we have Planes Boats and Trains bringing PEOPLE to our shores daily, so we are still importing the Virus, and it IS spreading, and we have our home grown variety as well, No amount of PPE is going to stop it, unless we all wear Space suits, so Isolation is the only way to SLOW it down at the moment till a Vaccine or whatever is found to kill it, it is easy to sit at home and pontificate about whose fault this that and the other is but that will change nothing.

Get used to the fact that this is with us for a very long time yet, it will be a different World if and when we get through it.

pelmetman - 2020-04-29 6:31 PM

Yeah Brian :-| ..........

If you say so *-) ...…

I do: I quote: "First, the numbers quoted are all as recorded by the various countries listed, all of which are using different bases for counting/recording." You speeka da Hinglish, no? :-D

Archived