Coming of Age

avongas

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This weekend i finally made the 'life begins at forty' period - yes my 60th. birthday!

I am now frantically working out if i can afford to buy a motorhome, and run it, on my meagre pension, also whether I can afford a Bristol Rovers Season Ticket!

Also, I found a few perks, B&Q 10% off discount on wednesdays, Bus Pass, Winter Fuel Allowance entitlement. May qualify for SuperTax at this rate!!!

Any body got any tips for survival out there!

:-) :-)

Sir, Spud,

Congratulations, and a belated Happy Birthday to you.

My first tip to you would be, Keep Breathing, secondly Eat them all important Greens, ( that your dear wife planted ) Have your daily walk.

enjoy a glass of Guiness, and keep posting the jokes.

I notice you have sold your Log Cabin, and bought Bristol Rovers Stadium

So I would imagine you have surplus money to buy a Motorhome (or

perhaps er indoors could work overtime).

You may qualify for free prescriptions for those all important Pills (lol)

Lastly keep Smiling and Dont Worry, It is never going to happen you know. Ria. ;-)

Ria,

Thanks my dear, don't feel any different to when I were a mere slip of a lad of fifty. Don't like guiness, so it will have to be a glass of lager, can you get it on the NHS? if you can, that there free prescription sounds OK.

Will keep eating the greens as suggested.

Will sit down with 'er indoors (my PFA) in a few months to see if we can join the travelling hordes.

Meanwhile, I will, as you suggest, keep posting jokes (groan) whether they make you laugh or not - got to keep a sense of humour in this day and age!

PS that picture is of the proposed new 18000 seater stadium that BRFC were going to build, until the main financing company pulled out this weekend! Back to the drawing board.

>:-( >:-(

I do love an optimist (however unrealistic they may be)

Oh sorry, I just realised, you were talking about the subbuteo semi final, (mind you, can't see West Brom even managing that cup can you)

Sorry Janine, but reality is reality :D

Hi Spud, My tip is ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF BEING SIXTY because the next year will fly by ..... trust me! :-( If I can run mine on Pension Credits then I am sure you will manage ...... just take to buying stores' own products, take on special offers if good ones and use the freezer, make do with the clothes you already have 8-) 8-) 8-) that's the hardest of the lot!! And don't be afraid to say NO, I can't afford this or that.... It takes self-discipline and that#s something I know I struggle with....

(Happy birthday by the way) :-D

Spud, If I were you I would forget about the football, Plenty of time for

that when you have to give up driving. and you of all people love to get

out and about on the Motorways, So, go for it buy a motorhome, and enjoy.

We had a caravan. and then a Talbot Camper.( not one of these posh jobs), but we loved every minute of it, For nearly 30 years, but sadly, no more, We used to meet up with a couple from Bristol, and he was 84

and still "chugging the motorways", We spent many happy evenings having chats, and sharing wine or maybe a bbq, Happs days, you really wont regret it, So go on Spud, Make "er indoors " a happy camper,"

best of luck, Ria.

Happy birthday Spud and here's to many years of happy retirement. (You mentioned living on that meagre pension so I take it you have retired) Difficult for some to adjust, but you now have the opportunity to see and do all those things you wanted to but lacked the time. Easy to get into a rut, so take on everything with the same enthusiasm and passion as before, take up new interests, set new goals and keep yourself active both physically and mentally.

Motorhoming does,nt have to be expensive and here,s my suggestion. Have a go at a 'self build' which is what I did. Loved every minute both on the build and actually using it. Go on, and if I could do it then so can you.

J9withdogs - 2008-06-02 8:12 PM

Happy birthday Spud!

I will ignore all of the jibes about the Baggies - I can assure you we will be up for at least three seasons. Autumn, Winter and Spring *-) :D :D

At least the 2nd. team in Bristol didn't quite make it J9! Thanks everyone for their comments - I will try and grow old(er) disgracefully, and when I can persuade my PFA to let me spend some of my fortune (ha ha) look out, cause I shall bring a few of my cone friends along and spread them around the country.

>:-) >:-) >:-)

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Good morning Spud, Dont wish to pu you off in any way, But, have you read the Holiday List, on the Hints & Tips Forum,of what you will need to Take, in your Motorhome, That is just for starters, Not forgetting your wife's

clothes if she is anything like me,That will mean most of them. (lol) (lol)

Archived