Computer Help Win95 or 98

enodreven

Hi,

I have some old programs that i need/want to use that will only run under win95 or earlier.

In order to run this software i decided to install second small hard-drive that i had laying around its only 12Gb, and it functions fine.

However I have tried to install a copy of Window95 onto it which appeared to install perfectly but when i tried to boot from it it just hung, I then tried to install a copy of Windows 98 that i also had laying around and again that installed fine, but when i tried to boot it just hung again.

I have tried re installing both of these versions and reformatting the disk a number of times but every time it does the same. I have ended up with just the DOS version of win 95 installed from the reformatting of the drive and that loads perfectly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be apprecaited, the computer itself is only about 4 years old and it runs XP with no problems but the software i need to use just won't run in XP even if i set the compatibility to win95

any help suggestions would be appreciated

Brian

You could try http://www.osloader.com/ to see if this helps.

I've also found the following which talks about a dual/duel boot on the same drive after partitioning but you may be able to substitute the instructions for 2 drives:-

"How to duel boot windows XP/98 with XP installed first (on the primary partition Fat32). It's always a good idea to back up your hdd before performing the following steps.

These steps involve using a 3RD party partitioning utility. I had to use the osloader because I did not have a licensed copy of partition magic to install. Of course the BEST way to duel boot would be by installing partition magic (boot magic) and 1, 2, 3 you're on your way.

1. Use a partition magic boot disk (this is a gray area as far as licensing is concerned but its better then installing the program to the c drive without a valid license) and resize the primary partition. Name it WinXp

2. Create another primary partition (fat32) name it Win98

3. Reboot.

4. Windows XP will load by default.

5. Download & Install OSL2000 from <A HREF="http://www.osloader.com/index.htm" TARGET="_top">http://www.osloader.com/index.htm</A>. It's a tiny program, fits on 1 floppy and has setup16.exe and setup32.exe. For win98 use setup16.exe and for NT/XP/2000 use setup32.exe (don't forget to read the license agreement and even though registration is not needed you might want to at least think about it, it took time to create the program you know)

6. Reboot.

7. You should now be prompted which partition to boot. Select the WinXp partition and hit F8 to hide it.

8. Put a windows 98 startup disk in the floppy drive and boot to the floppy.

9. you should now see drive C:> with a label of Win98. You will NOT be able to see the WINXP partition in dos.

10. Install Windows 98 to the C: drive.

11. Reboot, finish the install.

12. Reinstall the OSL2000 program.

13. Reboot, now you will see all partitions and be able to boot whatever partitions you would like (Windows 98 or Windows XP) without any problems."

If that all fails try going into Google and type "Dual Boot" or "Duel Boot".

Hope this helps

W2G

If you are getting problems doing a boot you dont want a duel boot .

You dont want the computer taking over on a duel boot if the second operating system is failing you need your 95 hard drive to boot cleanly ie, in a removable caddy .

Sorry W2Go not meaning to be rude.

michele - 2007-11-11 4:10 PM If you are getting problems doing a boot you dont want a duel boot . You dont want the computer taking over on a duel boot if the second operating system is failing you need your 95 hard drive to boot cleanly ie, in a removable caddy . Sorry W2Go not meaning to be rude.

No offence taken M.  Just helping the man sort out his problem.

Hi, Thanks to both of you for your input,

Way2Go, Thanks for the link and print out I do appreciate it, I had looked at a Dual Boot but decided that i would prefer to try and keep the 2 systems completely separate that's why I went for the second hard drive and i change the boot sequence through the CMOS when the system starts e.g. switch from HDD0 to HDD1 which appears to work albeit the versions of Win95 or 98 that I have installed on HDD1 start but then hang.

Michele thanks for your input can you please explain what you mean "Removable Caddy" as i have never heard of this term ?

Brian

michele - 2007-11-11 4:10 PM

You dont want the computer taking over on a duel boot if the second operating system is failing you need your 95 hard drive to boot cleanly ie, in a removable caddy .

enodreven - 2007-11-11 3:28 PM

Any ideas or suggestions would be apprecaited, the computer itself is only about 4 years old and it runs XP with no problems but the software i need to use just won't run in XP even if i set the compatibility to win95

Brian

Brian, what are the problems you encounter? If it's something like a Foxpro "Divide by Zero or Error Overflow" condition there are patches around to sort it out.

Graham

Hi, Graham

Both versions appeared to install with no errors and then start with no problems i.e. got the usually text info about the computer system drives memory etc then the opening Microsoft screen with the flag and either Windows 95 or 98 than click restart and repeat the same restart as it just got into that loop ??

When I switch The CMOS back to the normal HDD0 it starts XP perfectly ?

Brian

GJH - 2007-11-11 7:57 PM

enodreven - 2007-11-11 3:28 PM

Brian

Brian, what are the problems you encounter? If it's something like a Foxpro "Divide by Zero or Error Overflow" condition there are patches around to sort it out.

Graham

enodreven - 2007-11-11 7:00 PM

Way2Go, Thanks for the link and print out I do appreciate it, I had looked at a Dual Boot but decided that i would prefer to try and keep the 2 systems completely separate that's why I went for the second hard drive and i change the boot sequence through the CMOS when the system starts e.g. switch from HDD0 to HDD1 which appears to work albeit the versions of Win95 or 98 that I have installed on HDD1 start but then hang.

Michele thanks for your input can you please explain what you mean "Removable Caddy" as i have never heard of this term ?

Brian

Brian,

Assuming the computer hards drive is IDE or EIDE instead of linking the mother board direct to the hard drive you link the mother board with a ribbon cable to the back of a hard drive caddie.

The back of the caddie becomes the removable interface for the hard drive you need a spare DVD CD slot in the case .

You will need two caddies . Each caddie is a removable tray which the hard drive is permanently fixed into . The other part is the rails and fixing point that the caddie slides into the outerpart of the caddie ie, the rails is permantley fixed into the computer case.

the cable from the mother board as said before is fixed to the back of this tray. The hard drive fixed into the inner sleeve of the caddy is slid in and push fits to connect the hard drive to the mother board.

For what you want to do you need two caddies one of the outer sleeves /rails is fitted to the case of the computer the other is never needed . Two caddie are used to fit each of the hard drives into you now have the option before starting the computer to slide in either your XP hard drive and run as normal ,which is how you would usually use your computer or turn the computer off remove that drive then insert the 95 hard drive and turn back on, as it is connected to the primary IDE connector it will boot as the main drive.

You can use two caddies at once and have the second caddie connected to the secondary IDE and use this as a slave hard drive for storage etc.

using a caddie and booting up the computer to work the 95 hard drive will be the best idea for what you intend using it for ie, keeping the computer as an XP computer for everyday use and only changing hard drive for gaming etc . Dual boot is a problem if the compuetr crashes and losing files etc etc. it also enables you with two fitted to use older hard drives for archiving or storage but external USB hard drives are so cheap now its not as useful as it use to be.

Hope this makes sense if not ask again.

Hi, Michele

Thanks for getting back to me, I understand what you are saying now, its a removable hard drive cradle.

I can achieve the same on a temporary basis by just unplugging the existing Hard Drive from the ribbon cable inside the computer and connecting the smaller one which I have tried and I still get the same result,

The computer recognizes the smaller hard drive and either windows 95 or 98 installs on it perfectly or certainly shows no errors during the installation process. But when it tries to restart it just goes into a loop and keeps restarting itself that happens on win95 or 98

But the drive works perfectly if I just format and install the system from the win95 start-up floppy. then it will boot directly to the DOS prompt without any problems ?

Any suggestions would be welcome

michele - 2007-11-11 9:07 PM

enodreven - 2007-11-11 7:00 PM

Brian

Brian,

Assuming the computer hards drive is IDE or EIDE instead of linking the mother board direct to the hard drive you link the mother board with a ribbon cable to the back of a hard drive caddie.

The back of the caddie becomes the removable interface for the hard drive you need a spare DVD CD slot in the case .

You will need two caddies . Each caddie is a removable tray which the hard drive is permanently fixed into . The other part is the rails and fixing point that the caddie slides into the outerpart of the caddie ie, the rails is permantley fixed into the computer case.

the cable from the mother board as said before is fixed to the back of this tray. The hard drive fixed into the inner sleeve of the caddy is slid in and push fits to connect the hard drive to the mother board.

For what you want to do you need two caddies one of the outer sleeves /rails is fitted to the case of the computer the other is never needed . Two caddie are used to fit each of the hard drives into you now have the option before starting the computer to slide in either your XP hard drive and run as normal ,which is how you would usually use your computer or turn the computer off remove that drive then insert the 95 hard drive and turn back on, as it is connected to the primary IDE connector it will boot as the main drive.

You can use two caddies at once and have the second caddie connected to the secondary IDE and use this as a slave hard drive for storage etc.

using a caddie and booting up the computer to work the 95 hard drive will be the best idea for what you intend using it for ie, keeping the computer as an XP computer for everyday use and only changing hard drive for gaming etc . Dual boot is a problem if the compuetr crashes and losing files etc etc. it also enables you with two fitted to use older hard drives for archiving or storage but external USB hard drives are so cheap now its not as useful as it use to be.

Hope this makes sense if not ask again.

Hi, Michele

Yes XP works fine on the other drive, but I just can't get this new drive to work with 95 or 98 installed on it albeit it does boot if i just have the very basic DOS version of win95 installed

I was wondering if perhaps my computer hardware could be to new for the win95/98 versions I have ?

Thanks

Brian

michele - 2007-11-11 9:34 PM

Brian,

Is XP still working ok.

enodreven - 2007-11-11 8:03 PM

Hi, Graham

Both versions appeared to install with no errors and then start with no problems i.e. got the usually text info about the computer system drives memory etc then the opening Microsoft screen with the flag and either Windows 95 or 98 than click restart and repeat the same restart as it just got into that loop ??

When I switch The CMOS back to the normal HDD0 it starts XP perfectly ?

Brian

Sorry Brian, didn't explain myself properly - I was meaning the problems with the software under XP rather than with the OS.

Graham

Have you considered a virtual drive?

Mrs Way2Go occasionally likes to play very old Win95 games.  I've used Microsoft Virtual Drive running Windows 98 (under a Windows XP OS) and it works a treat.

You can switch backyards and forwards between Win 98 and Win XP and it runs either in a window or full screen.

PM me if you want more details ;-)

Hi, Graham

The problems appear to be caused because the programme or suite of programs use visual basic for much of the programming and from what i can find out the way XP works it is not backwardly compatible with visual basic even if you try to set XP into win95 compatibility mode,

I get numerous errors that i try to search the web for patches for, some of which work fine others just report that its an inherent problem with XP and they way it handles particular instructions, apparently this has been made worse since the SP2 update as what ever they did then appears to have buggered it up big time ?? LoL

Thanks to all of you I really appreciate your help and advice, its great to have a set of friends who you can ask ??

Thanks

Brian

Computer.jpg.ce2e37e0433ac44a333590efa0b92e3d.jpg

enodreven - 2007-11-12 9:03 AM

The problems appear to be caused because the programme or suite of programs use visual basic for much of the programming and from what i can find out the way XP works it is not backwardly compatible with visual basic even if you try to set XP into win95 compatibility mode,

Well, fancy Microsoft software being incompatible with Microsoft software, what a surprise (lol) Sorry Brian, I shouldn't be flippant.

Other than suggestions given earlier the only thing I can think of is a cheap second hand machine just to run Win 95/98 on. There may be a recycling company in your area which sells such machines.

Graham

Hi, Graham

I am coming around to your conclusion also ?? the real problem is that i have just thrown out the rest of the old computer that had the old drive in it, as she who must be obeyed told me to clear up ??? LoL

I don't quiet know how I am going to sneak another old unit back into the house ?LoL

What did you think of the picture I thought it said it all LoL

Brian

GJH - 2007-11-12 9:11 AM

enodreven - 2007-11-12 9:03 AM

Well, fancy Microsoft software being incompatible with Microsoft software, what a surprise (lol) Sorry Brian, I shouldn't be flippant.

Other than suggestions given earlier the only thing I can think of is a cheap second hand machine just to run Win 95/98 on. There may be a recycling company in your area which sells such machines.

Graham

enodreven - 2007-11-12 9:19 AM

I am coming around to your conclusion also ?? the real problem is that i have just thrown out the rest of the old computer that had the old drive in it, as she who must be obeyed told me to clear up ??? LoL

I don't quiet know how I am going to sneak another old unit back into the house ?LoL

You'll have to find an old laptop - easier to hide >:-)

enodreven - 2007-11-12 9:19 AM

What did you think of the picture I thought it said it all LoL

I felt that way many times when I worked in IT - flippin' sight harder with a 360 mainframe though (lol)

Graham

GJH - 2007-11-12 9:11 AM

]

Well, fancy Microsoft software being incompatible with Microsoft software, what a surprise (lol) Graham

In my job I use different systems and software and although they are all Microsoft, they don't always talk to each other.

Did you know that if you email a Word or Excel file attachment written on MS Office 2007, the recipient can't open it unless they have 2007 too. You have to convert the file into an earlier version before you send it.

Crazy - how do you know what version the recipient is using? >:-(

Hi, Dave

Thanks for the suggestion, it appears we follow a similar patten as I have done exactly as you have suggested before on other installations and its worked just as you have suggested, but not this time

Hi Graham,

I hadn't thought about a old laptop, but that seems like a good idea,

Thanks again everyone

Brian

Dave Newell - 2007-11-12 9:49 AM

Hi Brian, I've had similar problems before now and found that after the install if you shut the machine down completely for half an hour or more it will work perfectly afterwards, colud be worth a try if you haven't already.

D.

J9withdogs - 2007-11-12 10:28 AM

In my job I use different systems and software and although they are all Microsoft, they don't always talk to each other.

Did you know that if you email a Word or Excel file attachment written on MS Office 2007, the recipient can't open it unless they have 2007 too. You have to convert the file into an earlier version before you send it.

Crazy - how do you know what version the recipient is using? >:-(

That's been a deliberate MS policy for years Janine. When I used to be suspicious I thought that they changed the file formats to force people to upgrade their version of Office whether they needed to or not >:-)

Graham

Archived