Computer crashing

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris

Every time I use this forum and return to desktop I find my computer crashes. It never fails to do this . i have Windows XP Prof. Anybody else suffer this? Peter.

Guest Mike T
Re Computer crashing at this forum No problem with mine I find this site a very stable site , (But I use a Mac not a PC) It sounds like youhave a problem on your m/c . Hopr you get it sorted.Mike T

Hi peter Mine is OK its a PC Laptop on Broadband Having some problems on Broadband at present with low power on both computers mine & sons couldnt get his connected (its a new one They do just what they please until you get them domesticated - like dogs)

Guest Derek Uzzell
I’ve accessed the MMM forum using several variants of Windows and several different PCs and not experienced the type of problem you mention. I assume, when you say your “computer crashes”, that the whole thing goes down, not just one or more applications. In other words, that the PC needs to re-boot. This would suggest something basically wrong and may be hardware and/or software related. The first remedial step I would take is to ensure there is nothing obviously cock-eyed with the PC itself by running the diagnostic tests available to you in Windows (or any other maintenance software you may have). I’d then clear out as much junk (old software, etc.) as I could. A comprehensive virus check would also be sensible. If none of these things did any good, I’d check what is running simultaneosly with the Internet browser (screen-saver software, real-time virus checker, for example) and disable anything non-essential. If the problem persisted I’d probably try accessing the Internet via an alternative ISP (just in case). If that did no good (and it probably wouldn’t!) I’d reinstall the browser (which is probably Internet Explorer in your case) and, if that didn’t cure the fault I’d reinstall the Windows OS. I find it odd that this fault (apparently) occurs only when you visit the MMM forum as I would expect there would be other symptoms. Thank God I gave up computer support as a livelihood 8 years ago!!

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Peter, You do not specify which ISP you are connecting via but some are having problems similar to yours when using Norton Antivirus 2004 with auto Protect active (Real Time Virus Checker). I have had some problems using the ISP Supanet but not when signing off from the MMM Forum. If you are using Norton with Auto Protect active try disabling it and then sign on and then off the forum. If the problem persists then I would suggest using the procedures recommended by Derek. Do you get a Microsoft Error Message? If so send it off and they may be able to identify your problem. Regards, Mike Chapman. Hello Derek, Beats tyres eh! Mike

Hi Peter, I use Windows XP, also Norton virus check, no problems with mine. Although i am no that happy with XP with some of my applications, but I will have to live with them. I am not able to load some of my old software I used on 98, Good luck David

Thanks everybody. It sounds like throwing this thing into the river Calder might be the ultimate solution. Stay alive.. in 2005

• 1 year later...
peter Dot throw it into the Calder - They have just about cleaned it up I had problems with Norton stopping me from logging into sites - dont know if it was the firewall or the virus checker bits it wouldnt let me change ISP's Norton has been put onto a bike and sent on tis way We now have a different Firewall & Virus checker supplied by the Broadband supplier & it seems to be OK

Note the date of the original posting - January 7. 2005 I'm not sure why this thread is on the present forum unless it was thought to have some sort of merit if people complained about PC problems. Either that or it was just something picked to 'seed' the Chatterbox section. Pretty sure Peter L-H went full-timing and is no longer an active forum member.

No, when I mentioned 'seeding' I wasn't implying there was anything sinister involved. During the website testing phase it would be sensible to add an entry to every forum section just to ensure that things worked OK. Also sensible to make sure there was at least one thread in each section to encourage people to look there. The thread carries a comment of mine and, as I hadn't registered on the website when I first looked at the thread, there was clearly something odd about it - otherewise I might not have noticed the date discrepancy.

Derek there is one thread with NO postings when I looked yesterdayand another where the only posting was put on by myself. if they were doing testing: why did they not test every thing? Also if they were going to put on ghost postings to get every section opened: wht did thet leave some sections blank? Perhaps it was an early April Fool trick Well if so it has got us all going Will we ever know?????????????/ Do I really care? NO

The thread was moved into the 'General Discussion' forum about two weeks ago when we moved the forums. It was originally in the 'Motorhome Matters' forum, and was moved because it had little to do with motorhomes, but still had some information that some people might find useful. Yes, it's old, but we tried to keep as many posts as possible when we moved the forums over - this was one of them.

Archived