Cooking on the move

Guest TC01

Last weekend whilst on our way to Dorset, the wife was cooking a meal for us to have on our arrival at our campsite. Unfortunately by the time we arrived most of the food was splattered all of the kitchen and what was left in the pans ended up on the floor when I drove the van up the levelling ramps. Does anyone know if there are any devices available for holding pots and pans still whilst cooking on the move?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Is this a joke? Can someone really be so stupid as to drive around with pots bubbling on a gas ring?

Just imagine the fun you'd have in a severe crash when the boiling Lancashire Hotpot splattered all over the back of your neck, although to be fair you probably wouldn't notice it, as the pan, which had just struck you at 60 mph would have knocked your head off.

Please tell me that you're winding us up.

I sincerely hope that this is a wind up? No sensible person would cook on the move ......... they would be contravening the seat-belt Laws to begin with and probably be liable for an 'un-safe' load too. It's better to make a casserole at home, decant it into a heat-saver container/flask so it can be carried safely. It only needs heating up in the microwave on your arrival at the camp site - much safer and cleaner; and why should *your wife* be cooking >:-(

Thanks for your comments and advice; I’ll tell the wife no cooking while we’re travelling. Would it be ok if she were to prepare a salad without the hard boiled eggs?

Thats one of the funniest things i have heard of lateley the janet & John stories on wake up to wogan nearly have me running off the road with laughter in the mornings its a good job i was reading this sitting on the sofa a good laugh does you the world of good thanks

As a talking point I would say it is possible to cook on the move and you can get the equipment to do it, just go down your local boat chandlerer, but saying that I've never been in a boat that stops as quick as a motorhome (lol) but I've cooked when rolling about a lot more than in any motorhome

I watched the Grand Prix on the move and had to keep retuning the tv. I even tried to smoke a pipe on a motor bike ( no Ash trays fitted) Its got to be a wind up Road traffic act says you are carrying a passenger in a dangerous position dont mention pots and pans flying around lol Pete

[QUOTE]spartan3956 - 2006-11-09 8:15 PM IVE GOT IT MAGNETIC SAUCE PANS will be the way forward. Pete[/QUOTE]

Nah!  The passenger sits serene and belted at the motorhome dining table.  Before him/her are two metal or ceramic plates of raw meat and vegetables.  Beneath the plates is one of those plumber's heat resisting mats (you know, for soldering pipes against flammable substances).  In his/her hands are a blowlamp, and a box of matches.  Who needs cookers?

Hi TC01, Have you ever thought of installing a bed in a fish & chip van? I've seen plenty of these driving around with either steam or smoke coming out of their chimney. You could make yourself a few bob as well, selling fish & chips to the other campers. I reckon it would go down really well on the Sandringham site. I just hope I never get the pitch next to you. John.

My Dad used to cook baked potatoes in foil on the Austin 7 Manifold :-). Useful as hand warmers if we broke down which cars did a lot in those days *-) I remember him under the bonnet or changing a wheel more often than the journeys themselves :-) Now - would this person put their head above the parapet? Wouldn't this have been better kept until 1 April :-D

In theory I suppose you could link an electric slow cooker up to an inverter linked to the leisure battery (which of course is charged up whilst on the move). You could then stick your veggies, meat etc in the pot and by the time you got to your destination a few hours or so later, it would be cooked and you'd have a nice easy meal. You'd have to make sure it was well secured somewhere and of course you'd have to suffer the lovely aromas whilst it cooked which would tease you for hours ...!!! (lol)

Archived