Cop26

Bulletguy

COP26 aims to banish coal. Asia is building hundreds of power plants to burn it

On the coastline near India's southern tip, workers toil on a pier carrying a conveyor belt that cuts a mile into the Indian Ocean where the azure waters are deep enough for ships to berth and unload huge cargoes of coal.

The belt will carry millions of tonnes of coal each year to a giant power plant several kilometres inland that will burn the fuel for at least 30 years to generate power for the more than 70 million people that live in India's Tamil Nadu state.

The Udangudi plant is one of nearly 200 coal-fired power stations under construction in Asia, including 95 in China, 28 in India and 23 in Indonesia.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/cop26-aims-banish-coal-asia-is-building-hundreds-power-plants-burn-it-2021-10-29/?mc_cid=81c6c2cfaa&mc_eid=870a48a53b

There are a number of conflicting interests in the world.

To some, what matters most is " growth " - nations often brag about it.

" Growth " means digging up more of the worlds resources, to make more ' stuff ' , in more factories, delivered in more vehicles ( + ships and planes ) to an increasingly over populated world.

Much of the ' stuff ' will be thrown away, or be redundant in a couple of years - to be replaced by a later version of the same stuff.

Trouble is, no one has come up with an acceptable alternative.

:-(

malc d - 2021-11-01 5:08 PM

" Growth " means digging up more of the worlds resources, to make more ' stuff ' , in more factories, delivered in more vehicles ( + ships and planes ) to an increasingly over populated world.

Much of the ' stuff ' will be thrown away, or be redundant in a couple of years - to be replaced by a later version of the same stuff.

Personal growth and happiness.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-01 7:02 PM

Is that possible in a country you hate? ;-) .........

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-01 7:02 PM

Sounds like you got that from Johnsons slogans department.

;-)

Johnson says he's going to "level up every part of the UK".

I think he still fantasizes over bulldozers ever since his pal Bamford let him play with one. :-S

Birdbrain - 2021-11-02 6:08 AM

Meanwhile in the real world Old Sleepy lives up to his name ... https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/biden-falls-asleep-cop26-today-b1949270.html

Here’s our Prime Minister ‘leading by example’ by sitting without a mask on a global stage in the middle of a pandemic, next to Sir David Attenborough who is 95 years old. If Sir David is, why wouldn’t you?

IMG_20211102_074413.jpg.791e3fba1f30556e7146ef0ce75125b2.jpg

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-03 12:00 PM

Johnson squirms when held to account.

PS He doesn't look a well man, blotchy skin, huge bags under his eyes - perhaps he's not enjoying the job he always wanted.

What a total bellend. The man is a disgrace and a total embarrassment to our country. I would say its rare to find an interview of him where he isnt squirming. I bet he hates being interviewed as he is hopeless at it. She did well there to pin him down. Surprised he wasnt away hiding in a fridge.

PS He doesn't look a well man, blotchy skin, huge bags under his eyes - perhaps he's not enjoying the job he always wanted.

Thats CNN

If only the Boris Broadcasting Corporation would hold him to account like the foreign media.

He is obviously not used to it.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-03 12:36 PM

What a total bellend. The man is a disgrace and a total embarrassment to our country. I would say its rare to find an interview of him where he isnt squirming. I bet he hates being interviewed as he is hopeless at it. She did well there to pin him down. Surprised he wasnt away hiding in a fridge.

Who would do a trade deal with that when you can't even trust him not to break it.

We aren't going to get any real trade deals till he's gone, are we.

Lets just hope whats left of our industry can last till then

John52 - 2021-11-10 4:12 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-11-03 12:36 PM

Who would do a trade deal with that when you can't even trust him not to break it.

We aren't going to get any real trade deals till he's gone, are we.

Lets just hope whats left of our industry can last till then

No and this is what I keep trying to tell the Johnson and Brexit faithful. Its time to let it go. They have Brexit and nobody can take it away from them so its time they took their Brexit blinkers off, moved on and accept that the person who brought them there precious prize is not fit to run a bath let alone a country. I doubt any of the promises made around trade deals and the sunlit uplands will ever come to light but they certainly wont with that moron and his cronies running the show. We have gone from a country that was respected and trusted around the world to an absolute laughing stock on its way to tinpot banana republic status. Let it go!!!

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-11-10 1:09 PM

I wonder if Johnson has written his COP closing speech yet , about how brilliantly, incredibly successful the fantastic outcome is to HIS world saving conference.

:-D

I wonder if the Loser Brigade have managed to blame climate change on Brexit yet? :D ........

pelmetman - 2021-11-10 8:58 PM

I wonder if Johnson has written his COP closing speech yet , about how brilliantly, incredibly successful the fantastic outcome is to HIS world saving conference.

I wonder if the Loser Brigade have managed to blame climate change on Brexit yet? :D ........

Regular readers of Chatterbox ( all 4 or 5 of them ) will note that Dave has finally given up supporting, or even praising, Boris Johnson, and would like to change the subject.

pelmetman - 2021-11-10 8:58 PM

No but like everything else it will have an effect because it enabled a right wing populist corrupt government that only cares about themselves and their Cronies and only last week voted to continue to allow sewage to flow into our rivers and seas. You will soon be able to play spot the Jobby with your telescope from your palatial greenhouse.

Archived