Copying My accounts from Outlook Express

enodreven

Hi,

Does anyone know a quick way to copy the accounts in Outlook Express from one computer to another, I have found out where the files are stored for my emails and for the address book but can't find what file the accounts are stored in

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Brian

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I too have just successfully migrated my address book and folders from one PC to a new one. You could try the method that I used to locate the appropriate folders.

Set up a new account on the old PC and give it a totally stupid name that will not be duplicated by anything else.

Then do a search for that name. It should then find the account and show you its location.

I'm not sure if this will work for accounts as I simply made a note of my account details (I have only two) and wrote down the POP3 and SMTP server addresses etc. and simply set up two new accounts on my new PC.

If you've only a couple of accounts I would suggest that it's hardly worth doing what you suggest as it doesn't take long to set up new accounts if you have the necessary info.

Folders and Contacts are a different thing I agree. I've about 20 different folders and 200 email addresses for my contacts in various organisations and business etc. Losing them would have been a disaster!

Edited to say: I've tried this and I don't think it will work. I couldn't find a specific folder for a fictitious account that I created. OE has an 'Import Accounts' option but I can't find an 'Export Accounts' one.

There is a programme available called BackRex I think that will export all acounts, contacts etc. to whatever medium you choose and then allow you to import them into a new PC but it's $20 and as you've already done the bulk of the work, hardly worth it.

Open Outlook Express.

Go Tools, then accounts.

Highlight account and on right hand side click Export and save it somewhere suitable. Don't forget to back it up.

When recreating your mail bits go to tools, then accounts and select import. Tell it where you saved it and there ya go.

You can test this by exporting one of the accounts. You must then remove from OE. Then go and import it.

Do you also need help on backing up and restoring your messages? That's not as straightforward as copy and paste.

;-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
net-traveller - 2007-03-04 12:51 PM Open Outlook Express. Go Tools, then accounts. Highlight account and on right hand side click Export and save it somewhere suitable. Don't forget to back it up. When recreating your mail bits go to tools, then accounts and select import. Tell it where you saved it and there ya go. You can test this by exporting one of the accounts. You must then remove from OE. Then go and import it. Do you also need help on backing up and restoring your messages? That's not as straightforward as copy and paste. ;-)

That's something learned! I'd never noticed the export option on the account list, thanks for that from me as well.

I have to say that Copy and Paste worked fine for me. I located my Contacts folder and copied it and then pasted it into the equivalent folder in my new PC running Vista. I then did the same for my Folder list.

Another important list that can be copied using this method is your Favourites list in Internet Explorer. You can locate that folder and copy and paste it into your new machine as well.

Hi, Thanks Everyone

Thats really helpful, I found out earlier where the folders and email files were kept and the WAB files for my addresses and copied them over. But i just couldn't find the email Pop3/Smtp accounts but now you have told us it seems so easy, thanks again net-traveler, i will also keep a backup copy of these as well as my email address book

Thanks

Brian

Archived