Cornwall

Bulletguy

An entire county also thrown under a big red bus. :-|

Post-Brexit Cornwall is set to receive just 5% of what it needs to replace EU funding, according to a local councillor.

As one of the UK's poorest areas, Cornwall requested £700 million over 10 years to make up for a shortfall in EU funds caused by Brexit.

Instead, the county will get little more than £1.8 million in the first year.

Cornwall has accessed £765 million in EU funds since it was granted Objective One status by the bloc in 1999.

Independent Cornwall councillor Tim Dwelly told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that residents who voted for Johnson would be feeling "used".

He said Boris Johnson had promised the county the same investment it got from the EU.

https://tinyurl.com/ahyxe6e7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2017, the UK government announced that it would replace EU Structural Funds with a successor arrangement called the UK Shared Prosperity Fund. In its 2019 manifesto, the Conservative Party reiterated this pledge and committed to “at a minimum match the size of [structural] funds in each nation”.

Its now going to be called... the much reduced fund....

John52 - 2021-02-27 6:40 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-02-27 2:30 PM

Boris Johnson had promised

Where have I heard that before ;-)

Every time he opens his mouth.......the lies just trip off his tongue. His followers applaud him for being a lying deceitful con-merchant and many emulate him by lying themselves and making up stories, particularly about the EU or the opposition.

Guest pelmetman

According to the Rejoiners new bible...... "The New European" *-) ........

I cant say I've noticed any reduction in funding? :-S ..........

But then again I only ever noticed where the EU had wasted OUR money when I came across some Spazzy statue 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2021-02-28 8:51 AM

But then again I only ever noticed where the EU had wasted OUR money when I came across some Spazzy statue 8-) .........

Its the London Economic not the New European you div. Try the Brexit backing Sunderland Echo then. https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/council/sunderland-chief-demands-fair-share-of-post-brexit-cash-for-north-east-3144691

We said this would happen years ago and now all the Brexit voting regions are bleating on about it. The irony being that most of these regions benefitted the most from funding from the EU. The North East and Cornwall being one of the biggest benefactors.

oh-dear-how-sad-never-mind.jpg.eee19281dfcf8bc2c29f6ad8971a459e.jpg

pelmetman - 2021-02-28 8:51 AM

But then again I only ever noticed where the EU had wasted OUR money when I came across some Spazzy statue 8-) ........

The Sunderland Echo reported it. *-)

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/council/sunderland-chief-demands-fair-share-of-post-brexit-cash-for-north-east-3144691

Shouldn't have a problem funding the regions , the EU funds were actually our funds anyway, as we have already paid back the £300 billion debt we incurred.

The Canary: Marr just told one of the biggest lies of the pandemic, and it could impact all of us.

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2021/02/28/marr-just-told-one-of-the-biggest-lies-of-the-pandemic-and-it-could-impact-all-of-us/

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 7:47 AM

The Canary: Marr just told one of the biggest lies of the pandemic, and it could impact all of us.

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2021/02/28/marr-just-told-one-of-the-biggest-lies-of-the-pandemic-and-it-could-impact-all-of-us/

I'm no fan of Marr.

But to be fair, Borrowing £300bn is not far from the truth and probably the easiest way to describe it to people who know nothing about finance.

BoJo has effectively printed £300 bn

What the Tories called the last resort of a desperate Government when Labour did it for a much smaller amount.

Its like writing 100 cheques for £1 each when you only have £10 in your account and a pile of debts to pay off.

Its all very well as long as everybody doesn't try to spend it before you have earned another £90 to back it up.

The more BoJo prints (and spaffs away to cronies and fraudsters), the more the markets get jittery about inflation and the more interest the Government has to pay to borrow.

Although the official interest rate is still 0.1%, the rate of interest the Government has to pay (bond yields) has risen more than four times that in the last month

https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/uk

John52 - 2021-03-01 9:19 AM

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 7:47 AM

I'm no fan of Marr.

But to be fair, Borrowing £300bn is not far from the truth and probably the easiest way to describe it to people who know nothing about finance.

BoJo has effectively printed £300 bn

What the Tories called the last resort of a desperate Government when Labour did it for a much smaller amount.

Its like writing 100 cheques for £1 each when you only have £10 in your account and a pile of debts to pay off.

Its all very well as long as everybody doesn't try to spend it before you have earned another £90 to back it up.

Yes but as explained in the Canary article you cannot compare a national debt to a household debt, I don't know about you but I don't have the option of printing more money. The truth is that since the 16th century we as a nation have never repaid a debt, we have just let inflation erode it.

thebishbus - 2021-02-28 10:09 AM

Funny this word PROMISE. People keep saying someone PROMISED to do this or that, but did they? I have not heard the politicians say I PROMISE that I will do something, have you ?

Brian B

ps The same as UTURNS , are they not just a change of plans as circumstances change ?

So when Cameron said he would treat the result of the 2016 Brexit referendum as binding, was that a promise or not?

Had he later decided that he wouldn't treat it as binding after all, but only as advisory, would that have been him breaking a promise, or merely executing a U turn due to changed circumstances (i.e. he lost)?

Brian Kirby - 2021-03-01 1:08 PM

thebishbus - 2021-02-28 10:09 AM

Funny this word PROMISE. People keep saying someone PROMISED to do this or that, but did they? I have not heard the politicians say I PROMISE that I will do something, have you ?

Brian B

ps The same as UTURNS , are they not just a change of plans as circumstances change ?

So when Cameron said he would treat the result of the 2016 Brexit referendum as binding, was that a promise or not?

Had he later decided that he wouldn't treat it as binding after all, but only as advisory, would that have been him breaking a promise, or merely executing a U turn due to changed circumstances (i.e. he lost)?

And that was his biggest error.

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 1:13 PM

Sorry but "what" was [presumably Cameron's?] "biggest error"?

Saying that he would abide by the result? (or holding the ref' in the first place?)

I thought that you had voted to leave? :-S

pepe63 - 2021-03-01 1:24 PM

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 1:13 PM

Sorry but "what" was [presumably Cameron's?] "biggest error"?

Saying that he would abide by the result? (or holding the ref' in the first place?)

I thought that you had voted to leave? :-S

Cameron saying it was binding was the error. He should have then the result would be discussed in Parliament.

Yes i did vote leave and like the Government and all in Brussels didn't think it would actually win.

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 1:59 PM

Cameron saying it was binding was the error. He should have then the result would be discussed in Parliament.

Yes i did vote leave and like the Government and all in Brussels didn't think it would actually win.

Thanks for the response J/S, and I appreciate your candour..

So, for the sake of polite debate, lets assume that the ref' had been "advisory", what would you have thought, and how would you have felt, if once the result had been "discussed" in Parliament, "they" decided to just ignore the result and remain with the situation as it was?

Would you have been angry that they had ignored the result(your vote!)? or somewhat relieved that whilst you had been able to make your point, there wouldn't have been any actual knock-on "repercussions" ?

pepe63 - 2021-03-01 2:30 PM

So, for the sake of polite debate, lets assume that the ref' had been "advisory", what would you have thought, and how would you have felt, if once the result had been "discussed" in Parliament, "they" decided to just ignore the result and remain with the situation as it was?

Would you have been angry that they had ignored the result(your vote!)? or somewhat relieved that whilst you had been able to make your point, there wouldn't have been any actual knock-on "repercussions" ?

I always thought to have it binding was a mistake, there were multiple options eg a second referendum after a period of discussion and reflection.

I also think once the initial result was in then Brussels would have had the s**ts and made more consesions to Cameron.

It has already been admitted that had the result of leaving been a possibility Brussels would have rethought it all.

They probably would have been enough to vote stay in a second vote.

Brussels could have done a lot more to prevent this.

thebishbus - 2021-03-01 3:47 PM

Brian I would treat saying it was binding as a promise, but people saying someone broke their promise does not apply if they did not promise in the first place.

Brian B.

Johnson promised the NHS "50,000 more nurses". It's in the 2019 Tory manifesto as a promise under his leadership, but typically Johnson was lying and later admitted only 31,000 would actually be new recruits. So that was a broken promise.

He's a pathological liar whose constantly made up stories and spread disinformation to get what he wants. He's self serving and self interested and those daft enough to believe he has their interests at heart need to wake up. Cornish residents have been naive and suckered into believing him....after all thats why they voted Brexit but now find, like many others who are waking up to Project Reality, they are not going to get the same level of funding as they'd enjoyed from the EU. In fact they're getting just 5% of what the EU funded to them.

jumpstart - 2021-03-01 4:01 PM

pepe63 - 2021-03-01 2:30 PM

I always thought to have it binding was a mistake, there were multiple options eg a second referendum after a period of discussion and reflection.

I also think once the initial result was in then Brussels would have had the s**ts and made more concesions to Cameron.

It has already been admitted that had the result of leaving been a possibility Brussels would have rethought it all.

They probably would have been enough to vote stay in a second vote.

Brussels could have done a lot more to prevent this.

But then, had it been stated that the referendum was advisory (which, in reality, it was - until Cameron gave his undertaking to treat it as binding) the government would also have been able to commission some proper opinion polling and consultation to discover why people actually wanted to leave.

My strong impression from the campaign is that many voted leave on the basis of misunderstanding and misinformation. This was never countered during the campaign (in part no doubt because Cameron etc did not think they would lose the "argument") though it easily could, and should, have been.

I accept that wild claims were made by both sides, but there really should have been at least some degree of moderation, and pf post hoc investigation. Having then gathered the evidence as to the underlying dissatisfactions people felt, that could have been taken to the EU for them to consider.

There seemed to be two campaigns - each conducted on a different basis. One, for leave, that centred principally on emotional arguments (sovereignty etc.) and the other, for remain, that centred on more intellectual arguments (the economy, etc.). So one to the heart, the other to the head.

I notice this was also Sylvie Bermann's take as the then French ambassador to the UK, and that she also found it impossible to engage the Brexiters in discussion regarding their reasoning. Her summary is that it was a victory for "passion over reality". Not quite what one usually associates with the characteristics of us, reputedly phlegmatic, British! :-D

Archived