Could Remoaners Get Any Sicker ...

Birdbrain

What is actually Vile is the Express for attempting to whip up more hatred and division despite the current crisis. Its even using a fake headline to get the juices flowing of the permanently angry in the comments pages.

no real links to anything. Of course its possible a few morons have posted stuff like this on Twitter but its outrageous and at the same time pathetic to firstly make a headline story out of it and secondly for Mr Birdbrain to suggest many remainers think like this.

I wonder what they will actually do about Brexit though now. I keep thinking that even the new ToryKipper party faced with the current unprecedented threat to the entire human race might put it on hold or just abandon it completely but they are so barking mad Im not so sure.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-19 10:39 AM

What is actually Vile is the Express for attempting to whip up more hatred and division despite the current crisis. Its even using a fake headline to get the juices flowing of the permanently angry in the comments pages.

no real links to anything. Of course its possible a few morons have posted stuff like this on Twitter but its outrageous and at the same time pathetic to firstly make a headline story out of it and secondly for Mr Birdbrain to suggest many remainers think like this.

I wonder what they will actually do about Brexit though now. I keep thinking that even the new ToryKipper party faced with the current unprecedented threat to the entire human race might put it on hold or just abandon it completely but they are so barking mad Im not so sure.

You might just be on to something there, I think there is going to have to be some sort of joint plan for rejuvenation for the future.

jumpstart - 2020-03-19 11:18 AM

You might just be on to something there, I think there is going to have to be some sort of joint plan for rejuvenation for the future.

Well does it make any sense right now to commit thousands of civil servants, politicians and negotiators to Brexit negotiations now? All we have to do is agree to the three year extension that I think was on offer and we can just forget about it and then see how we all emerge the other side of this nightmare.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-19 11:54 AM

Well does it make any sense right now to commit thousands of civil servants, politicians and negotiators to Brexit negotiations now? All we have to do is agree to the three year extension that I think was on offer and we can just forget about it and then see how we all emerge the other side of this nightmare.

Objection! Uses logical thinking! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-03-20 6:03 PM

Errrr ... "logical thinking" for a Remoaner

Birdbrain - 2020-03-20 6:12 PM

You think it illogical? Explains all! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-03-20 6:57 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-03-20 6:12 PM

You think it illogical? Explains all! :-D

Nothing to explain sweet cheeks ... You are a raving Remoaner like Barry who would stop at nothing no matter how low to stop Brexit ... You applaud a fellow hater for saying halt or scrap Brexit or maybe put it on a 3 year extension delay... We are told by Government if we pull together in 12 weeks well beat the China Virus but you and another hater want to stop Brexit full stop??? ... Explains all princess ... Hate on

Conrad - 2020-03-18 7:56 PM

No, they've got it wrong! Brexit done and almost dusted. God was keeping Covid-19 to kill off the elderly who failed to keep the planet free of pollution, and allow the youth to make some sensible decisions!

Well it’s working....pollution is decreasing rapidly with practically no air travel,no cruise liners, no industry....only thing is all the pictures of the. “ youths”. In their long lines climbing up Snowdon into a mass at the top.......sensible decisions.....don’t think so.

Nicepix - 2020-03-23 8:30 PM

The sooner the UK is out of the EU the sooner the Remoaners will find something else to whinge about - global warming, plastic waste or the age old favourite of the elderly; dog s**t.

This country has more serious matters it should be concerning itself with right now. Losing thousands of jobs and chasing industries and much valued workers out of the country was bad enough but we're currently dealing (not very well) with a pandemic.

Bulletguy - 2020-03-23 10:42 PM

The sooner the UK is out of the EU the sooner the Remoaners will find something else to whinge about - global warming, plastic waste or the age old favourite of the elderly; dog s**t.

This country has more serious matters it should be concerning itself with right now. Losing thousands of jobs and chasing industries and much valued workers out of the country was bad enough but we're currently dealing (not very well) with a pandemic.

No country is dealing well with the pandemic and it has laid bare the lack of leadership of the EU in co-ordinating a universal plan. And it is no excuse to cancel Brexit.

I don't know where you get your ideas about losing industries and workers out of the country from, but I would like to see some evidence to support the views.

As I see it the EU gets over €6 billion net in UK subscriptions plus 0.3% of all VAT receipts and 80% of all import duties levied on goods brought into the UK from outside the EU. In total the EU is in receipt of almost €40 billion that comes directly from the pockets of UK citizens. Countries like Germany, Spain and Holland are content to pay these sort of figures because they get a lot of it back in trade with EU countries who are encouraged by protectionist policies to spend money on EU goods rather than from outside the block. Te UK consumers are effectively subsidising EU companies who are protected from outside competition and can therefore maintain higher profit margins than if they faced world wide competition.

The UK now hold the cards they need to break free from this financial imprisonment and forge new deals that will increase manufacture and therefore jobs. Theresa May played four aces like two pairs. At least Boris and now the EU know the strength of the UK's position. And with the Coronavirus situation laying bare the EU's total lack of leadership and the discord between member states over their pandemic policies there will be no better time to strike a good deal for the UK.

Birdbrain - 2020-03-20 7:10 PM...………………………

1 Nothing to explain sweet cheeks ...

2 You are a raving Remoaner like Barry who would stop at nothing no matter how low to stop Brexit ...

3 You applaud a fellow hater for saying halt or scrap Brexit or maybe put it on a 3 year extension delay... 4 We are told by Government if we pull together in 12 weeks well beat the China Virus but you and another hater want to stop Brexit full stop??? ….

5 Explains all princess ... Hate on

1 That is what I said, if you stop to think about it.

2 Raving? Do show my raving. Stop at nothing no matter how low? Where, please? Evidence?

3 Applaud? Where? Of all possible times to be involved in negotiating a future relationship, now is not the time. There is a three year window within the withdrawal agreement, and it would make far more sense to deal, as a first priority, with Covid-19, and then, when everyone is able to focus fully on the task in hand, get back to the final Brexit negotiations. That is logical, common, sense. If you can't see that, you must ask yourself why.

4 We will not "beat" Covid-19 in twelve weeks. Even Boris is now slowly beginning to grasp that little truth, which has been blindingly obvious since the first few cases arrived in Europe. It has a rate of spread that puts three months out of contention. The epidemiologists are advising much nearer 12 months, with the virus becoming endemic unless or until a vaccine is available. Stop Brexit? It seems to have escaped your attention that Brexit took place on 31 December 2019. If you messed that, what else have you missed?

5 As you can see, although your selective mix of half-understood fact and fake news may explain all to you, it explains nothing to others. Have another go, but try to use a few established facts, stay off twitter, and don't rely at all on what is randomly circulating in your poor, befuddled, noddle. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-03-24 10:59 AM

2 You are a raving Remoaner like Barry who would stop at nothing no matter how low to stop Brexit ...

3 You applaud a fellow hater for saying halt or scrap Brexit or maybe put it on a 3 year extension delay... 4 We are told by Government if we pull together in 12 weeks well beat the China Virus but you and another hater want to stop Brexit full stop??? ….

2 Raving? Do show my raving. Stop at nothing no matter how low? Where, please? Evidence?

3 Applaud? Where? Of all possible times to be involved in negotiating a future relationship, now is not the time. There is a three year window within the withdrawal agreement, and it would make far more sense to deal, as a first priority, with Covid-19, and then, when everyone is able to focus fully on the task in hand, get back to the final Brexit negotiations. That is logical, common, sense. If you can't see that, you must ask yourself why.

4 We will not "beat" Covid-19 in twelve weeks. Even Boris is now slowly beginning to grasp that little truth, which has been blindingly obvious since the first few cases arrived in Europe. It has a rate of spread that puts three months out of contention. The epidemiologists are advising much nearer 12 months, with the virus becoming endemic unless or until a vaccine is available. Stop Brexit? It seems to have escaped your attention that Brexit took place on 31 December 2019. If you messed that, what else have you missed?

5 As you can see, although your selective mix of half-understood fact and fake news may explain all to you, it explains nothing to others. Have another go, but try to use a few established facts, stay off twitter, and don't rely at all on what is randomly circulating in your poor, befuddled, noddle. :-D

Why must we stop just Brexit talks and nothing else Government does , thats what your saying isnt it as you havent asked for any other Government departments to be shut down in this thread just Brexit ??? ... We must have many departments that could be shut down during this crisis yet you are only asking for one to close so that kind of says it all Brian doesnt it ??? ... To make your point valid I'd like to know how you know just how many from Government are currently involved in Brexit negotiations and just what they could do if they walked away from that and focused on the China Virus , what exactly would they do ??? ... "established facts" will do princess not your opinion

Nicepix - 2020-03-24 8:46 AM

1 No country is dealing well with the pandemic and it has laid bare the lack of leadership of the EU in co-ordinating a universal plan. And it is no excuse to cancel Brexit.

2 I don't know where you get your ideas about losing industries and workers out of the country from, but I would like to see some evidence to support the views.

3 As I see it the EU gets over €6 billion net in UK subscriptions plus 0.3% of all VAT receipts and 80% of all import duties levied on goods brought into the UK from outside the EU. In total the EU is in receipt of almost €40 billion that comes directly from the pockets of UK citizens. Countries like Germany, Spain and Holland are content to pay these sort of figures because they get a lot of it back in trade with EU countries who are encouraged by protectionist policies to spend money on EU goods rather than from outside the block. Te UK consumers are effectively subsidising EU companies who are protected from outside competition and can therefore maintain higher profit margins than if they faced world wide competition.

4 The UK now hold the cards they need to break free from this financial imprisonment and forge new deals that will increase manufacture and therefore jobs. Theresa May played four aces like two pairs. At least Boris and now the EU know the strength of the UK's position. And with the Coronavirus situation laying bare the EU's total lack of leadership and the discord between member states over their pandemic policies there will be no better time to strike a good deal for the UK.

1 The EU is the sum of its parts, it is not a federal state. It is not in a position to dictate a universal plan to its individual member states, because they have not granted it that right through the various treaties that create it. It is futile berating an institution for not exercising powers it does not possess. I saw no mention of stopping Brexit, just of putting the present negotiations on hold while we all try to deal with Covid-19.

2 I do, it comes from the TV and radio news, and the quality press. To such an extent that I am at a loss to understand how you could have missed it!

3 So if, as you claim, Germany (net contributor), Spain (net recipient) and Holland (net contributor) get back in trade with other EU countries a lot of what membership of the EU costs them (only true for Germany and Holland, as Spain gets back more than it pays in) - and so are content to continue paying to belong - why, after 45 years membership, is the UK not in the same position? What stopped us enjoying the same benefits? And why, having a number of companies ourselves, and having been members of the EEC/EU for the past 45 years, would our companies not be enjoying exactly the same benefits as those others? Something doesn't quite gel in this argument.

4 We have left the EU, our cards no longer need to address the issue of what you hyperbolically call financial imprisonment, we need only to negotiate a good deal for our future relationship with the EU while negotiating trade agreements with the Non-EU world.

In doing so, to get good terns for our exports, we shall have to give good deals for their exports. The UK has had negative trade with the EU, and the non-EU world, in almost every year since we joined the EU, and for years before that. We import more than we export, and the overall trade balance has only been rescues by what used to be called "invisible earnings" and is now called "services".

What that really means is financial services. Services does not involve manufacturing, and is 80% of the UK economy. So, manufacturing and all the other sectors of the economy together contribute a mere 20%.

Financial services employs a little over 1 million of our total workforce of just over 32 million, or 3%, but contributes just over 7% of the total economy.

Simply put, given the post-war history (both inside and outside the EEC/EU) of the UK economy, I fail to see how trade deals with the rest of the world are going to prevent jobs being off-shored to the extent you seem to believe. If we negotiate trade deals that give us cheaper imports than at present (bearing in mind that we currently pay no tariffs on our imports form the EU), it has to be assumed that home grown jobs will diminish rather than grow. First, present UK incomes will be in direct competition with those producing the imports, and second, UK industries will move production overseas to the lower labour cost markets to preserve profits. This is not new, it is what has been happening in and out of the EEC/EU for almost as long as international trade has existed.

If we do not negotiate trade deals that give us cheaper imports, what will have been the point?

At least up until Covid-19 the UK had the fifth or sixth largest economy in the world, despite ranking 12th for productivity. If you allow for the fact that those in financial services are generally well paid and economically highly productive, that paints a bleak picture for the rest of UK employees.

We have high land costs, high transport costs, high energy costs, good (but costly) public services, a moderately well educated workforce, and we pay for those advantages through a large number of poorly paid, insecure, jobs. It is (and has been for many years) cheaper for industry, in most sectors, to buy in from overseas, or to move production overseas, than to invest in UK production. This is exacerbated by out relatively small, but floating, currency, that makes investment decisions risky because currency fluctuations affect both the price of the (usually imported) capital plant, while the eventual return on the investment in terms of export earnings is equally risky because, having made the investment, that price at which the goods can be sold is determined more by those currency fluctuations than by the economics of production. Then add that our companies are unusually dependent on the stock market for investment capital, meaning that company values rise and fall at the whim of the market, and I see little prospect of those good, secure, well paid, jobs in manufacturing that we need materialising.

I think it is fair to say that we have never succeeded in creating a nation of well rewarded workers, though we have always had some who were doing very well at the expense of the many who were not. We lived for yeas from the Empire, from which the raw materials were imported at favourable rates and converted into export goods during the industrial revolution, but the average employee worked in poor conditions for poor pay. That was because the preceding agricultural revolution had depopulated the land, releasing abundant labour into the new factories. Over supply of labour = low pay.

Later, rather than making the goods in the UK we began producing at source, importing the finished goods are re-exporting them at profit. But neither the foreign nor the UK workforces got much reward for that, though the companies (and their shareholders) grew fat on the proceeds. When we emerged from the two world wars almost flat broke (it is not widely appreciated that the UK got more from the USA post war under the Marshall plan than any other European country) we found a European market on our doorstep that we, not having been quite so badly devastated as much of Europe, could begin exporting.

So, with the labour largely on piecework, we began churning out manufactured goods to a hungry market but, due to the short term outlook of many of our industrialists, who put immediate profit above long term investment, while paying insufficient attention to quality and reliability, we earned a reputation for poorer goods than the emerging European manufacturers were beginning to make, leading to rising demand for imports that our captains of industry, to their (and our) eventual cost, largely ignored.

In various ways, we continue in the same vein. We make a product, and if it sells, we just go on producing it, but pay little attention to developing it - until others see the opportunity and act, when we once again begin importing what we used to export.

This is not some wild, left wing, polemic, it is as nearly as my (limited) understanding (and despite its length space :-)) a highly truncated history of British manufacturing. Form that point of view, which I think realistic, I simply cannot see how leaving the EU is going to achieve anything more than swapping on set of constraints for another - with little prospect that it will bring benefit to any more than a relatively few people. It is what we have always done, and I don't see any evidence that it will change, unless possibly the eventual economic turmoil created by Covid-19 results an a far more enlightened attitude by government and industry. But, we have never yet made the necessary changes, and they seem to me deeply ingrained in our national psyche, alongside all those cosy myths of our uniquely great British past. We are not, IMO, what we think we are, though I think we all aspire to be - if only someone would just point us in the right direction! :-D

Brian,

1. The EU impose rules and regulations on member countries. Those countries did not ask the EU to abandon Schengen, they acted unilaterally.

2. Please provide proof of this exodus that you claim has already happened.

3. The UK is no longer a manufacturing country and so exports less then it imports. It is mostly service based. That is why the UK is possibly the only country in the EU that can walk away and prosper. I put Spain when I meant Italy. Mental block. All those three countries benefit greatly from the EU's protectionist policies. The UK, because of the trade deficit suffers the most, France is not far behind despite its agricultural protections. I am surprised that the 'quality press' that you read hasn't covered that.

4. The trump cards, as in fisheries and not remaining aligned to EU rules along with the UK's purchasing power should entail that the deal will be in its favour. The EU are scared that without the alignment the UK can and will be able to purchase items that have not been submitted to the EU for type approval or conformity of regulations including many Japanese and Korean electrical items & also Nth African fruit and veg'. The UK is a currently major market for EU goods and they would rather keep it that way.

A good deal means the UK will have the €6 billion it currently gives to the EU plus keeps all the import duties which it levies and because it will no longer be subject to the EU trade laws, it can negotiate deals to import products from outside the EU more cheaply and therefore reduce prices to the consumer. Its fisheries can be used to bring in more revenue by licensing catch quotas to foreign boats.

Brexit is the best thing for the UK's future and once they drop the ECHR obligation it will be better able to control its immigration policy and protect the public from terrorism.

Nicepix - 2020-03-24 8:46 AM

No country is dealing well with the pandemic and it has laid bare the lack of leadership of the EU in co-ordinating a universal plan. And it is no excuse to cancel Brexit.

Actually they are so you are very wrong on that. South Korea introduced large scale testing and tracing very early on and as a result had just 120 deaths from Covid-19 as of today;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

China, obviously a much bigger population, went into full lockdown after 30 deaths which still resulted in 3,277 deaths, but they have now ended their three month lockdown. Their only new cases have been among Chinese nationals returning back to their country.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Death rate in Italy has almost doubled that of China with 6,077 dead but they didn't go into full lockdown until 800 had died.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Spain also allowed theirs to spiral out of control before locking down with 2,696 dead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

If any lessons are to be learned from this it's by looking at what China and South Korea did and going back to your original point, what it has certainly laid bare is the lack of leadership shown by Johnson who dithered and dallied over enforcing lockdown. Suggesting 'social distancing' and people 'should' [do this or that] for example was a complete nonsense. It required enforcing with clear rulings but he was incapable of that.

Only yesterday Sports Direct boss, Mike Ashley, vowed to keep all stores open claiming his staff were 'key workers' because they sold gym equipment. Absolute rubbish of course but typical of the selfish greed, contempt and irresponsibility being shown by some company bosses but today has done a complete U turn and decided they will close.

https://tinyurl.com/vkuz2j6

Wetherspoons Tim Martin told his staff to "go to work at Tesco" after they were informed by notice their bonuses already earned would not be paid out and they would only be paid for hours worked up to March 22nd.

https://tinyurl.com/sc4ecea

I don't know where you get your ideas about losing industries and workers out of the country from, but I would like to see some evidence to support the views.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-companies-leaving-uk-list-job-cuts-eu-no-deal-customs-union-a8792296.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/06/ford-to-close-bridgend-factory-in-september-2020

https://smallbusinessprices.co.uk/brexit-index/

More than 10,000 EU nationals have left the NHS since the Brexit referendum, including almost 5,000 nurses.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/24/nhs-winter-crisis-thousands-eu-staff-quit

Tons of unpicked fruit left to rot after EU workers leave UK

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-no-deal-fruit-picking-apples-national-farmers-union-eu-workers-harvest-a9163781.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

Suggest you folk read and take to heart Derek Uzzall's "Forum behaviour" post on the motorhome matters section.

We're all very stressed at present, perhaps a time to be nice to eachother and stop scoring cheap points. My wife's rule on Facebook - if you can't say something nice don't say anything.

Bulletguy,

Just to cut to the quick; the first post you listed about jobs being lost was Honda and the report clearly shows that this would have happened with or without Brexit. Dyson's move, again nothing to do with Brexit, British Steel, likewise, Bank of America likewise. Just a headline pulled out of thin air without any attempt to verify what you have linked actually proves your point.

As for Coronavirus; if you can prove that all the various countries involved are sampling and testing in exactly the same way then you can make the point. But I think you would struggle on that.

I won't bother with the rest of your post.

Conrad - 2020-03-24 4:50 PM

Suggest you folk read and take to heart Derek Uzzall's "Forum behaviour" post on the motorhome matters section.

We're all very stressed at present, perhaps a time to be nice to eachother and stop scoring cheap points. My wife's rule on Facebook - if you can't say something nice don't say anything.

I suggest that you look up the word debate.

Nicepix - 2020-03-24 5:52 PM

Bulletguy,

Just to cut to the quick; the first post you listed about jobs being lost was Honda and the report clearly shows that this would have happened with or without Brexit. Dyson's move, again nothing to do with Brexit, British Steel, likewise, Bank of America likewise. Just a headline pulled out of thin air without any attempt to verify what you have linked actually proves your point.

Dont know why you bother ... Anything the hate squad can use to bash the Tories or Brexit is fair game to them , that includes Grenfell and a worldwide pandemic ... If hate is a virus they suffer from it

Birdbrain - 2020-03-24 12:39 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-03-24 10:59 AM

Why must we stop just Brexit talks and nothing else Government does , thats what your saying isnt it as you havent asked for any other Government departments to be shut down in this thread just Brexit ??? ... We must have many departments that could be shut down during this crisis yet you are only asking for one to close so that kind of says it all Brian doesnt it ??? ... To make your point valid I'd like to know how you know just how many from Government are currently involved in Brexit negotiations and just what they could do if they walked away from that and focused on the China Virus , what exactly would they do ??? ... "established facts" will do princess not your opinion

Brian ???

Nicepix - 2020-03-24 5:52 PM

Bulletguy,

As for Coronavirus; if you can prove that all the various countries involved are sampling and testing in exactly the same way then you can make the point. But I think you would struggle on that.

You asked for evidence of loss of industries and employees. That i then provided some examples of evidence obviously wasn't what you wanted as it didn't sit well with your pro-Brexit/anti-EU stance, and i also noticed Brian was even more baffled than i by your apparent loss of having missed much of the national news.....but then self denial has always been an easy get out.

You believe these companies which left would still have left without Brexit, but post not a jot of evidence to back up your claims which are based on mere assumption and wild conjecture.

As for Covid, i provide links to the figures but not satisfied with that you now want 'proof' testing and sampling has been exactly the same. This isn't a court of law FGS. You've gone beyond ridiculous now.

Archived