Covid cases rising, but deaths falling

John52

Despite overwhelming evidence that people indoors facing each other with no facemasks for prolonged periods is the highest risk of all, and 66 of his staff test positive, BoJo's Brexiteer supporter Tim Martin dismissed claims by disease expert Professor Hugh Pennington that pubs are "dangerous". *-)

He wants 'Dishy Rishi' to keep sending him your money to subsidise more people going to the pub.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54144130

The people now suffering are the thousands who couldn’t get treatment for other ailments like cancer. Other deaths are far outstripping covid deaths.

Our government need to be a bit more realistic about the death rate of covid 19. This winter far more are likely to die from flu and cancer.

Unfortunately joined up thinking doesn’t seem to be in this government’s remit.

jumpstart - 2020-09-14 7:13 PM

The people now suffering are the thousands who couldn’t get treatment for other ailments like cancer. Other deaths are far outstripping covid deaths.

Our government need to be a bit more realistic about the death rate of covid 19. This winter far more are likely to die from flu and cancer.

Unfortunately joined up thinking doesn’t seem to be in this government’s remit.

I heard Bo'jo's Downing street press briefings were only counting confirmed covid deaths in hospital and ignoring all the others - but I can't confirm that as I never took his press briefings seriously enough to watch them. He runs everything like an election campaign - all spin and populist stunts.

Best estimate seems to be excess deaths - calculated by taking this years deaths and subtracting the average deaths over the same period in previous years.

John52 - 2020-09-14 7:19 PM

colin - 2020-09-14 5:30 PM

back at beginning of April (daily infections is) estimated as 100,000.

8-) do you have a source for that?

Wikipedia says about 5,000

It's buried in the ONS data releases as a top end estimate, I've tried to find it but can't, it was also mentioned on BBC news. Also saw an article in Lancet, this also had a top end estimate multiple times Wiki's 5000.

Archived