Credit where it's due

Big Momma

12 months ago my central heating boiler packed in. I contacted British Gas to see if they would come out and repair. They asked if i was an existing customer on their Homecare service, which I wasn't, so they asked me if i wanted to join there and then, which I did, £38 per month. An engineer arrived within 2 hours and repaired my boiler (needed a new fan) and I parted with not one penny ! 2 months before my renewal date (which was automatic renewal) I received a letter from British gas telling me that they had REDUCED the monthly subscription to £30 and that I did not have to do anything as they would amend the Direct Debit etc. Today I had my first FREE annual service, the engineer discovered a problem with the ignitor and replaced it, at no cost, covered under the Homecare package. Additionally I asked if he could look at some sticking thermostats on 4 radiators, he just simply replaced them with new ones :-D I was gobsmacked by this service, other service providers do not generally offer discounts to existing customers only to new customers so well done British Gas.

And there's more.........

I have my domestic Gas & Electricity provided by one sole service provider, not British Gas. I signed up a 3 year deal to 2010 which stated that they would charge under British Gas prices. earlier this year British Gas cut their prices and true to their word my service provider sent me a letter confirming that they had reduced my Unit charges to less than British Gas.

It's not all doom and gloom out there :D

Guest Tracker

Sorry but I don't see how one minor repair, 4 new stats and a 'free' service can be good value at £456?

Similarly unless the heating goes wrong again at £360 for the next 12 months it does not seem like vfm?

I think I would rather carry on taking my chances and pay as I go as it's cost us a hellova lot less than that over recent years!

Not criticising - just pointing out a different point of view.

There's no right or wrong - just different!

You are of course right, there are always different perspectives. And on first sight £456 may not seem GVFM, however........

If I had called out a local CORGI gas repairer they would have undoubtedly charged me an 'Emergency' call out fee probably £60+ before even looking at the problem. Then when they got here, probably would have taken some considerable time to identify the problem (more labour hours) and then would have been unlikely to have had the part(s) required, meaning having to go and purchase them (more labour hours and probably a coffee stop en route), then returning to fit and test. I wonder what the bill would have been (?) If something else had then gone wrong exactly the same ritual and another bill. At least with this scheme there is peace of mind that no matter how many times I call them out, have to have new parts, or have a annual service it is ALL within the cost of the Homecare contract. This provides a certain degree of 'peace of mind' and knowing that when I make a call someone responds promptly, cannot guarantee that if you call on an ad-hoc basis to a local engineer (Unless you just happen to know someone that is).

So yes you are right, different views and also different 'risk apetites' :-D

Hi,

OT ....My daughter had a flat in Tottenhan, all electric heating. The immersion heater in the water tank stopped working. So she called out a plumber, after hours, so he charged her £85 per half hour. The job took 40 minutes, so he wanted £170 ..... as they do.

My daughter said if she was paying for an hour, she wanted an hours work, and showed him where to find the Hoover.

He adjusted his price. :-D

Guest Tracker

When she was single my Dot, like many 'lone' females, was always being taken advantage of (financially I think) by anyone from car salesmen to plumbers, gardeners, and anyone who thought that a kind natured blonde was a soft target.

All that changed when she met me and now the only bugger who takes advantage of her is ME!

Archived