Crimewatch beware.

Elaine

I was watching crimewatch last night on tv. There has been a full lorry load of brand new Avtex 7 in 1 tv's stolen. So if you are being offered one on the cheap please beware as they are probably stolen. The driver of the lorry was in a complete mess when telling the story on tv last night.

Howie its the Avtex w152d that Ihave bought which has just recently came out. I think it has a different sound system from your model, I will let you know what the sound quality is like once it is delivered.

Leave my helmet out of it if you dont mind Mel, and for your information it has been off recently when I had to have a bath for a medical check up just before Christmas.

Hi Elaine. Perhaps i,m being unfair re. the sound quality and its not that bad, just a little tinny. My one regret is that I did not go for teletext at the time as unless you can pick up a daily paper (difficult when your camped out in some remote spot) you miss out on the news and t.v. schedules.

Guest starspirit
But surely missing out on the news and TV is the best part of being camped out in some remote spot?

Up to a point Richard, but the wife likes her soaps and I enjoy sport. We are not tied to the telly, but there is the odd program we don,t want to miss.

How about this. Two days exploring the Cumbrian mountains on the way back from Scotland and then parking up on site at Bolton le Sands overlooking Morcambe bay. Bite to eat and then watched Liverpool win the European cup.

Perfect day. Perfect view and perfect result.

One thing that struck me was the speed at which the tide came in across the bay. One minute it was way out on the horizon and the next time I looked it was high tide.

I believe this is where those Chinese cockle pickers came unstuck, and easy to see how the poor souls never stood a chance. A lesson to us all perhaps that you don,t take libertys with nature.

Howie, I live 5 minutes from where Bill Shankly was born. There is a monument there in recognition of his achievments in football, well worth a look if you are up in this neck of the woods. Hubby is a big Liverpool fan,he took a boys football team, Shankly boys club he called them after the famous man. He and another 2 parents of the team walked from Shankly's birthplace( Glenbuck, Ayrshire] to Anfield to raise money for the team. They finished of walking round the pitch and taking a bow at the cop end. They raised £6,000 pounds for the boys, but the blisters on his feet were horrible.

Wash your mouth out Chopper. 8-)

During his time at Man. City part of Joe Mercer,s job was to bank the takings straight after the Game. Approaching the counter Joe slipped and knocked himself out cold. The staff finally brought him round and still feeling groggy he asked where he was. Your,e in the Nationwide Joe, to which he replied. F*** me, is it May already.

Forester seems lost for words at the moment Elaine but Joe Mercer was one of a long line of stand up comedians to come out of Maine Road, and its good to see this proud tradition still being carried on to this day.

Thats a long walk from Ayrshire to Anfield, but a worthy cause for "Shanklys Boys Club" and I bet that bow at the cop end made it all worthwhile for your husband and the other parents.

Well he still has the picture of himself and the other 2 parents which was taken at the cop end when they finished the walk proudly up on the wall. He tells everybody that visits the story behind the picture. What he doesn't tell them is they all had to go to hospital because there feet were that bad with blisters. So Howie he will be sat in front of the tv tonight roaring the reds on.

Should,nt take things for granted Elaine, but i,ve a feeling its going to be a Liverpool F.C. V Old Trafford plc final in Athens next month and lets hope football is the true winner with the trophy going back to Anfield.

We were up in "your neck of the woods" two years ago, but time was short and we wanted to get through Glasgow and onto site before dark.

Always looking out for interesting photos on our journeys (going back to Morcambe, there was the obligatory one of us and "Eric". Bit highbrow for some but we like it) and the next time we travel North we will make a point of visiting Glenbuck which does,nt look to far of the A74.

Glenbuck is 30 minutes at most from A74, it was once a thriving mining village but there is nothing there now apart from the Shankly monument. It is visited regularly by Liverpool supporters buses who travel north for friendly games against us Jocks. But heres hoping for Athens.

starspirit - 2007-04-05 10:10 AM

But surely missing out on the news and TV is the best part of being camped out in some remote spot?

I agree wholeheartedly Dave. When our kids were younger and travelled with us, we worked a cruel deception on them for several years. We got them to believe that it wasn't possible to watch TV in a camper - something about the metal in the van interfering with reception. We still don't carry a TV.

Tony

PS We have since been forgiven - at least by the kids!

howie - 2007-04-16 7:25 PM

Don,t worry about it "Trigger".

Its no good Tony. One of us will have to change the avatars as seeing us together is creasing me up. Don,t know anything about glossing over varnished wood by any chance. :-S

Howie

Is this your way of asking Tony how come he has such a lovely smooth complexion compared to yours? (lol)

Good clean living and a clear conscience helps Mel, something both Tony and myself have obviously benifited from. I,m looking forward to the day when all conversations are carried out accompanied with those web cam wotsits. No good you sweet talking all us boys with your hair in rollers and your teeth in the bathroom then. ;-)

Elaine - 2007-04-16 3:47 PM

Glenbuck is 30 minutes at most from A74, it was once a thriving mining village but there is nothing there now apart from the Shankly monument. It is visited regularly by Liverpool supporters buses who travel north for friendly games against us Jocks. But heres hoping for Athens.

A all to familier story with your village i,m afraid Elaine. At least you have Shanklys monument to go on with and you should take a leaf out of nearby Drumclog who now have a thriving tourist trade by promoting the fact that Niblo Dunnshargin, the guy that invented the crossword is buried there.

We stopped off there two years ago to have a look at his grave, and asking directions in the pub next door were told to go through the main gate and then go seven down and three across.

Worth a couple of tickets for the final if you have any going spare. ;-)

Archived