Cuckoo

twooks

I'm sat watching a pair of starlings desperately trying to wean their cuckoo chick into an independent life style - they've been trying for most of the afternoon - not a chance *-)

all of with offspring firmly ensconced at home will no doubt sympathise :-> :-> :->

B-)

Sandy - 2007-05-14 7:39 AM

and I have just been watching a woodpecker frantically trying to 'peck' it's way into a bird box with baby blue tits in it - didn't get far though - I can't arf yell when I try!!

We have 2 pairs of woodies near by - they are heavily addicted to peanuts! Unfortunately the pigeons are scaring off most birds, 1 pair of woodpigeons has taken over a nesting box always used by barn owls. We are in serious need of some culling around here.

B-)

I heard a cuckoo close by on Friday. Haven't seen one yet. The male does the characteristic cuck, she has a trilling call. The most I saw at one time was 7.

Woodpeckers, jays, magpies, squirrels will all take eggs and fledglings from the nest :'( fortunately our garden is quite enclosed so our birds go about without too much hassle.

I hope mentioning herons is not "off thread". I've lost a number of really good sized ghost carp, as well as large shubunkins, goldfish and tench to herons in the last three weeks. This year is the worst in 17 years for these marauders in my garden pond.

I don't want to cover the pond with an ugly metal grill but it looks like I have no choice if I am going to re-stock it.

Bob

stop being mean - I love watching herons fishing :-> :-> :-> :->

never noticed woodpeckers taking eggs - but we used to have jays at the other place - and at least they kept the magpies away

our biggest problem is cats - closely followed by the pigeons >:-(

B-)

Staying off thread on Herons, I use thin green mesh net to cover pond and have never lost any fish, but all my neighbours have. Tip given to me years ago is not to have any flat surfaces that the bird can land on and then fish, so put plenty of plant pots and ornaments around the pond. Pity you are not closer as I always have surplace fish as they breed well each year, plus the big ones get bigger.

David

Guest starspirit

Agreed. Fine green plastic or nylon monofilament garden mesh works really well and is not too visually intrusive.

We live in sight of a tidal river and there are Herons a plenty - and Buzzards, woodpeckers, egrets, as well as all the other iklle birdie wirdies you can think of.

We put cotton looped around tiny bamboo sticks around our pond, because herons 'walk' into water rather than land on it when the cotton - which they cannot see - touches their legs it scares them off! Also corny as it may be one of those plastic herons not only look attractive but do work!

Thanks for the ideas on anti-heron measures folks. Unfortunately the pond is an ornamental one set into decking which seemed a good idea at the time but must make it easier for the herons to land and approach the water. It's also vsible from the house so that's why I've been relucant to go for an iron grill which I've seen on ponds nearby. I'll have a look for fine a mesh net, which sounds ideal based on your experiences.

Twooks' comment made me do a quick add up of what the thieving herons have had from the Sushi menu at South of England garden centre prices and its about £140 in just 12 months. Ouch.

Bob

Archived