Cummings mates App

Barryd999

Jobs for the boys eh? Cummings vote leave campaign geeky pall gets £250k to make an app that will track all our movements. Hancock says its our duty to download it.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well

Some further thoughts on the App I just picked up from a Facebook group.

"Here's why the contract tracing app is bad from a privacy and security perspective:

1. It relies on Bluetooth technology which is inherently insecure. If Bluetooth messages are being passed between phones without your direct knowledge, then that means there's no pre-authentication between the two devices taking place, so it's essentially a "back door" into your phone. (Ever seen how Bluetooth "warns" you that another device (like a speaker or headset) wants to connect to your phone? That won't be happening for other phones using this app.)

2. Any app that becomes widely used is absolutely going to be targeted by hackers within days, just for the notoriety of a "Day One" hack. I guarantee that major security flaws will be discovered in the app within days. It has also been "rushed out" by a government that is DESPERATE to own "brownie points" from the population, it will be extremely buggy and prone to security flaws upon release.

3. The fact that GCHQ is "approving" the app is irrelevant. GCHQ just cares about national security and that there's no danger of state secrets being leaked through any piece of software, it does not care about personal data being either shared or protected.

4. What happens when people become too reliant on a piece of software? They start to lose the ability to think for themselves, and if the app then has a flaw so it doesn't do what it is supposed to, then mistakes happen. At a time when people need to maintain some social distancing, is a REALLY good idea to have them all peering down at their phones totally paranoid? What about if an alert goes off when someone is driving because someone in another car, a cyclist or a pedestrian in Bluetooth range sets it off? Could that cause enough of a distraction for an accident?

5. We're told "it does not store any personal data" but there's no comment about what data on your phone that the app might have access to, especially via a security flaw. The app has to control your Bluetooth and it has to know where you are on the globe at any particular moment, presumably via GPS. That location will be constantly uploaded to a central point using 4G/5G so, in effect, it becomes a "surveillance" app.

6. The government has said "all of the data analysed and stored in the fight against coronavirus will be deleted when it's no longer required". But has it yet stated what data is being stored and, if it has said it will delete it when no longer needed, then that's an admission that there is some sensitivity in that data in the first place. And how do we know it will be deleted? And how do we know how much will be kept by the NHS? Or sold to other organisations?

Make your own choice here, but I personally will not be going anywhere near this app unless it released entirely in an Open Source manner and that the source code is fully scrutinised by independent experts who clearly indicate what data is being collected and what is being stored - and that it then satisfies me that it's not just there for state surveillance.

So will you be downloading it? 8-)

Guest pelmetman

It didn't tack long for our resident Remoaner biased IT expert to start knit picking *-) .........

I will download it if I can ;-) .........

I really don't care who knows the first part of my postcode......DT4 there you go fill yer boots >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-05 11:33 AM

pelmetman - 2020-05-05 11:21 AM

DT4 there you go fill yer boots >:-) ........

= Weymouth.

Yep ;-) .........

Didn't you know we'd moved back? :-S .........

It didn't tack long for our resident Remoaner biased IT expert to start knit picking *-) .........

I really don't care who knows the first part of my postcode......DT4 there you go fill yer boots >:-) ........

Old BG's known my postcode for years ... Und all the names I go under on a different forum ... That really is spying

Its not your postcode you need to worry about FFS! *-)

This is the problem you see. In theory I think the app could be a good idea. The problem I have is with the Cowboys that have firstly commissioned it and those that have been chosen to develop it. It comes back round to trust of which in this current government (for many) there is none. From a technical point of view I would not use anything that relies on unauthenticated blue tooth for communication and data input. Its a bit like going to bed and leaving your front door open. Many use their phones as computers now and do all sorts from online banking to online purchasing on them. Hackers dream.

Then of course there is the trust issue in having "this government" granted access to your personal info and movements. do you duty? 8-)

Barryd999 - 2020-05-05 2:47 PM

This is the problem you see. In theory I think the app could be a good idea. The problem I have is with the Cowboys that have firstly commissioned it and those that have been chosen to develop it. It comes back round to trust of which in this current government (for many) there is none. From a technical point of view I would not use anything that relies on unauthenticated blue tooth for communication and data input. Its a bit like going to bed and leaving your front door open. Many use their phones as computers now and do all sorts from online banking to online purchasing on them. Hackers dream.

Then of course there is the trust issue in having "this government" granted access to your personal info and movements. do you duty? 8-)

"it comes back round to" its according to you got sumat to do with "Cummings mate" ... Thats all your waffling is about

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 5:07 PM

"it comes back round to" its according to you got sumat to do with "Cummings mate" ... Thats all your waffling is about

No. It comes down to the long list of points I posted. Apparently our App wont work in Europe. The EU are also producing a Europe wide app I believe. Could we not have been part of that? Maybe the email went into the spam folder again eh? So they just bunged some Vote Leave Geek a quarter of a mill and stuck him in a cupboard.

Well if the mad hatter wants to download it, and his taxes to pay for it, thats fine by me :D

But I won't be downloading it - bad enough the DVLA sells our details to parking scammers and legalises their outrageous fines >:-)

Guest pelmetman

So the App's created by your Foriegn EU Johnny mates don't rely on Blue tooth? *-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2020-05-05 11:12 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-05 5:07 PM

No. It comes down to the long list of points I posted. Apparently our App wont work in Europe. The EU are also producing a Europe wide app I believe. Could we not have been part of that? Maybe the email went into the spam folder again eh? So they just bunged some Vote Leave Geek a quarter of a mill and stuck him in a cupboard.

Top of that "long list" is "Cummings mate" ... If the EU are producing a Europe wide app then aren't we in Europe or have we left Europe now n'all ???

Birdbrain - 2020-05-06 9:24 AM

If the EU are producing a Europe wide app then aren't we in Europe or have we left Europe now n'all ???

We are still paying the fees and bound by the rules.

But we no longer have a seat at the table, so can't even see what is being decided for us

All so BoJo can tell the likes of you that we have left *-)

The EU via its Single Digital Market has produced a toolbox and in depth guidance for the production of Apps to fight the coronavirus with the emphasis being on security, privacy and GDPR compliance.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_670

Who wants to bet that Cummings jobs for the boys pal has been instructed to ignore all that?

Its like I said, it comes down to trust. Which app would you trust and from whom? One that had been developed under the strict guidelines mentioned above or one by President Cummings?

Barryd999 - 2020-05-06 10:12 AM

The EU via its Single Digital Market has produced a toolbox and in depth guidance for the production of Apps to fight the coronavirus with the emphasis being on security, privacy and GDPR compliance.

Who wants to bet that Cummings jobs for the boys pal has been instructed to ignore all that?

Its like I said, it comes down to trust. Which app would you trust and from whom? One that had been developed under the strict guidelines mentioned above or one by President Cummings?

Yes just who to trust ... https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/corruption-scandal-hangs-over-eu-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-33871

Birdbrain - 2020-05-06 11:58 AM

Yes just who to trust ... https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/corruption-scandal-hangs-over-eu-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-33871

Not a right wing Turkish news outlet for sure.

There’s already one by Kings College Hospital London,I’ve been doing it for weeks,3 million on it now.

Guest pelmetman

Looks like the EU App uses Blue tooth ;-) ........But I guess that's alright because it's the EU and not "Cummings mate" *-) .......

BTW I've tried googling any link between Cummings and the UK App provider and I cant find any? :-| .......

Surely you're not spreading FAKE news again are you Barry? 8-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2020-05-06 1:09 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-06 11:58 AM

Not a right wing Turkish news outlet for sure.

Try your Bible ... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/04/germans-condemn-own-candidate-for-top-eu-job-ursula-von-der-leyen

pelmetman - 2020-05-06 3:19 PM

Looks like the EU App uses Blue tooth ;-) ........But I guess that's alright because it's the EU and not "Cummings mate" *-) .......

BTW I've tried googling any link between Cummings and the UK App provider and I cant find any? :-| .......

You didnt look very far then. Its Marc Warners company, Cummings Vote Leave chum. Its not just the app contract he got awarded either. Jobs for the boys https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/vote-leave-ai-firm-wins-seven-government-contracts-in-18-months

They will all have to use Blue Tooth. Google and Apple are doing one for free apparently. Still doesn't make it anymore secure but the coding within the app might and of course then there is the question of privacy and what happens with the data during and once its all over.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-06 5:54 PM

You didnt look very far then. Its Marc Warners company, Cummings Vote Leave chum. Its not just the app contract he got awarded either. Jobs for the boys https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/vote-leave-ai-firm-wins-seven-government-contracts-in-18-months

They will all have to use Blue Tooth. Google and Apple are doing one for free apparently. Still doesn't make it anymore secure but the coding within the app might and of course then there is the question of privacy and what happens with the data during and once its all over.

Yup ... We get your issue loud and clear ... "Cummings Vote Leave chum" ... Nice ... Hate on

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-05-06 5:54 PM

Aaaah that's why you don't like them ;-) .........

Coz they did a good job for the Tories (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

They did and broke all sorts of rules and laws in the process. Which is why I wont be downloading their App and until its developed by a reliable and trustworthy independent organisation I would advise anyone to do the same. Up to you.

Archived