D-Day 75th anniversary

Bulletguy

Amazingly there are still a few left to share their experiences with us from landing on the beaches on the 6th June 1944 and today was the 75th anniversary celebrations of which BBC and C4 have given excellent coverage throughout.

Many of course never returned and they must be turning in their graves at the state the country they selflessly sacrificed their lives for, has become over the past three and half years. The same also for those who lived, but fought to give us our freedoms from fascism and nazism, only to now see it turning backwards to far right extremism. Very ugly which all decent people will fight against to uphold the honour of these old soldiers who fought for six years to free us from the evils of the far right.

An interesting view from an American lady this evening, Kathy Burk Professor of History at University College in London who spoke about co-operation, alliances, Anglo-American relationships, depleting Armed forces and UK withdrawal from EU. Have a listen;

Also watch Matt Frei reporting from the Pegasus bridge in Normandy with some brilliant coverage.

Excellent coverage this morning from BBC Breakfast which was devoted almost entirely to the anniversary celebrations and now continuing with live streaming. France has erected an absolutely stunning memorial to the fallen, of three soldiers advancing into war. It's mounted on a huge plinth and uncannily lifelike...one of the best sculptures i've seen.

Good also to see our fellow European leaders. Examples of true statesmen and women representing their countries with sombre grace, pride and respectful decency. Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did his country proud too, a real statesman and credit to his country, it should never be forgotten his country stood with UK from the very beginning of ww2.

There have been many amazing stories from those who served. A few real characters too!

BBC is still streaming 'live' for anyone interested; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-48462241

A fasinating read....

Seventy-two years ago, I witnessed the birth of a new Europe when the blossoms of spring erupted with a melancholic beauty, along the roads that led from Holland to Germany, during the last days of the Second World War.

It was May 1945 and Britain’s long battle against the darkness of Nazism was coming to its final chapter of death and mayhem. Then, I was a 22 year old lad, who had grown up rough on the wrong side of Barnsley, Bradford and Halifax. Yet, despite the fact that I was working class and endured inhuman economic and social injustices during the Great Depression, I still joined the RAF at the age of 18 because I believed in our nation’s democratic institutions.

On May 1 1945, when Hitler was just 24 hours dead, I was deployed along with the other men from my squadron to journey to Hamburg and occupy the Luftwaffe airfield located there. From the back of a lend lease army truck lumbering through northern Germany, I witnessed the dying gasps of Nazism. Along our way death and refugees were strewn to the side of the dual carriageway like a wedding garland that had been tossed out from behind the gates of hell.

I saw all of this with a cigarette dangling from my lip ready to be lit and a tin helmet strapped loosely to my head while the dust of war blowing up from the roadway became caked onto my face. I stared out at this tsunami of forsaken humanity and my heart ached for those refugees and for all that I had seen and done during that long and terrible war.

Yet, I knew that the madness that created this war came from social and economic divisions that had beset Europe in the 1930s. It had created a pandemic of populism and nationalism that raced through Germany, Spain, Austria and Italy killing democracy and all its institutions. Moreover, other countries from France to Hungary were not immune to the siren song that politicians of hate sang in workmen’s clubs and around the dining tables of that era’s 1%.

Even Britain indulged in the fascism of that time because Oswald Mosley’s Blackshirts gained prominence for their thuggery on our newsreels of the day.

So, on my odyssey through the Second World War, I didn’t think Europe could rise from its funeral bed of violence, racism and political radicalism.

It’s why in those last days of conflict, I was angry at how much young life had been shed because politicians, big business and the entitled had ignored for too long during the 1930s the evils of nationalism to further their own ends.

So, when I came to Hamburg in May 1945 and I saw in a hungry, tea time light this modern city reduced to rubble from an ugly air war, it’s unfathomable destruction unsettled me. In fact at first glance in the setting sun as our convoy passed I thought its defeated inhabitants looked more like silhouettes than human beings when they darted up like ghosts from the hovels that they had dug from the ruins of their former apartment dwellings.

During those long ago days of May 1945 everyone in Europe from the victors to the defeated ached for peace, like the lonely long for love. It’s why when the guns of war were hushed on May 8, even ordinary young men like me knew that for there to be a proper future for everyone, in Britain and Europe, we had to forge strong and binding ties of amity.

At the end of the Second World War, everyone from ordinary blokes like me to knowledgeable politicians, pundits, educators and people of business knew that the old political formulas that allowed nationalism to supersede commonsense had to change or else civilisation would die.

It’s why the 1945 refugee crisis caused by the war was treated with compassion rather than ignored. It’s why Britain accepted food rationing in part to help feed a starving Germany after the war because to have not done so would have been vindictive and created a political chaos that would have affected our national security.

I was still in Germany and part of the Allied occupation forces when the Marshall Plan saved Europe from internal collapse and Soviet takeover. I saw how intelligent economic investment delivered by government agencies can turn despair into optimism. While I was stationed in Hamburg I met and fell in love with a young German woman who eventually became my wife. In 1948, just when the NHS was being constructed I returned to Britain to live in Halifax with my bride. In the 1940s the city of Halifax was teeming with Europeans who either were refugees from the east or war brides. What was most impressive to me was there was little prejudice against newly arrived migrants after the war.

Most everyone understood that Britain couldn’t insulate itself from the continent like it had done during its imperial past. During that time, I met a man who would be, for almost 60 years, my best friend, until his death in 2007. He was a Polish refugee who had left his native country when the Nazis invaded but with nowhere else to go in 1945 he put down roots in Yorkshire with his Belgian wife. It never occurred to me, my other friends, my family or my neighbours to question his right to reside in Britain with his family.

By the 1950s, my wife and I had saved enough to take a vacation in Europe. I was amazed how the recent peace had changed the continent for the better. Trade barriers were coming down and former enemies began to talk about the mutual benefits that greater co-operation could produce between countries. The concept of the European Union was taking shape as nations not shackled behind the iron curtain realised that building closer bonds with each other was economically beneficial as it helped secure a universal peace.

Our partnership with Europe over the decades created a social democratic ethos that made life better for ordinary workers like me. With measured movements the EU was slowly born over the decades of my life and for someone who had lived through the political and economic chaos of the 1930s and the carnage of the Second World War this was just commonsense.

The Second World War ended over seven decades ago and like the Great Depression it as fresh in my memory as the morning rain. But the lessons my generation taught to the generations born in the bosom of peace and cooperation are quickly being forgotten. Lasting peace can only be achieved and maintained when we strive to be united with other nations through prosperity and social justice. The EU, no matter how imperfect, is still the best vehicle to achieve that for Britain and the rest of Europe.

It’s why in spring 2017 when I hear birdsong break out from the treetops and remember the end of the Second World War, I don’t feel optimism for Britain but fear for its future. Since the EU referendum our nation has been trapped in a winter of fear, doubt and distrust. The reasons for our angst are clear; Britain stands on the precipice of Brexit. This is the most momentous decision taken by this nation since the end of the Second World War and the Government’s inability to admit to the complexity of Brexit is concerning.

It’s why for me Theresa May’s unexpected General Election call for June seems more like cynical politics than leadership. For me the tragedy of Brexit is that it was the blood, sweat and tears of my generation that helped forge a more perfect union between Britain and Europe. Now that appears lost and our country feels shorn of hope because hollow words of rich Tory politicians will never replace the benefits in trade, culture, workers rights, and security we derived from being a member of the EU.

Harry Leslie Smith was a 95 year old author and activist who has written 5 books including Harry’s Last Stand on the history of his generation and today’s political realities

Didn't take long did it ... Shameful ... Back on the threads topic listening to Radio Five Live this morning was very emotional ... Some beautiful emotional stories from relatives of those brave heroes who faced the blood and slaughter that day

Birdbrain - 2019-06-06 5:09 PM

Didn't take long did it ... Shameful ... Back on the threads topic listening to Radio Five Live this morning was very emotional ... Some beautiful emotional stories from relatives of those brave heroes who faced the blood and slaughter that day

Repeating the wise words of one of those veterans is shameful? Strange world you inhabit.

Fast Pat - 2019-06-06 6:23 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-06-06 5:09 PM

Repeating the wise words of one of those veterans is shameful? Strange world you inhabit.

Princess you could have chosen a thousand quotes from a thousand veterans but you chose one to suit your anti-Tory/Brexit agenda ... Lets leave the agendas out of it for once and remember and respect real heroes ... Please

Fast Pat - 2019-06-06 2:33 PM

A fasinating read....

Seventy-two years ago, I witnessed the birth of a new Europe when the blossoms of spring erupted with a melancholic beauty, along the roads that led from Holland to Germany, during the last days of the Second World War.

It was May 1945 and Britain’s long battle against the darkness of Nazism was coming to its final chapter of death and mayhem. Then, I was a 22 year old lad, who had grown up rough on the wrong side of Barnsley, Bradford and Halifax. Yet, despite the fact that I was working class and endured inhuman economic and social injustices during the Great Depression, I still joined the RAF at the age of 18 because I believed in our nation’s democratic institutions.

On May 1 1945, when Hitler was just 24 hours dead, I was deployed along with the other men from my squadron to journey to Hamburg and occupy the Luftwaffe airfield located there. From the back of a lend lease army truck lumbering through northern Germany, I witnessed the dying gasps of Nazism. Along our way death and refugees were strewn to the side of the dual carriageway like a wedding garland that had been tossed out from behind the gates of hell.

I saw all of this with a cigarette dangling from my lip ready to be lit and a tin helmet strapped loosely to my head while the dust of war blowing up from the roadway became caked onto my face. I stared out at this tsunami of forsaken humanity and my heart ached for those refugees and for all that I had seen and done during that long and terrible war.

Yet, I knew that the madness that created this war came from social and economic divisions that had beset Europe in the 1930s. It had created a pandemic of populism and nationalism that raced through Germany, Spain, Austria and Italy killing democracy and all its institutions. Moreover, other countries from France to Hungary were not immune to the siren song that politicians of hate sang in workmen’s clubs and around the dining tables of that era’s 1%.

Even Britain indulged in the fascism of that time because Oswald Mosley’s Blackshirts gained prominence for their thuggery on our newsreels of the day.

So, on my odyssey through the Second World War, I didn’t think Europe could rise from its funeral bed of violence, racism and political radicalism.

It’s why in those last days of conflict, I was angry at how much young life had been shed because politicians, big business and the entitled had ignored for too long during the 1930s the evils of nationalism to further their own ends.

So, when I came to Hamburg in May 1945 and I saw in a hungry, tea time light this modern city reduced to rubble from an ugly air war, it’s unfathomable destruction unsettled me. In fact at first glance in the setting sun as our convoy passed I thought its defeated inhabitants looked more like silhouettes than human beings when they darted up like ghosts from the hovels that they had dug from the ruins of their former apartment dwellings.

During those long ago days of May 1945 everyone in Europe from the victors to the defeated ached for peace, like the lonely long for love. It’s why when the guns of war were hushed on May 8, even ordinary young men like me knew that for there to be a proper future for everyone, in Britain and Europe, we had to forge strong and binding ties of amity.

At the end of the Second World War, everyone from ordinary blokes like me to knowledgeable politicians, pundits, educators and people of business knew that the old political formulas that allowed nationalism to supersede commonsense had to change or else civilisation would die.

It’s why the 1945 refugee crisis caused by the war was treated with compassion rather than ignored. It’s why Britain accepted food rationing in part to help feed a starving Germany after the war because to have not done so would have been vindictive and created a political chaos that would have affected our national security.

I was still in Germany and part of the Allied occupation forces when the Marshall Plan saved Europe from internal collapse and Soviet takeover. I saw how intelligent economic investment delivered by government agencies can turn despair into optimism. While I was stationed in Hamburg I met and fell in love with a young German woman who eventually became my wife. In 1948, just when the NHS was being constructed I returned to Britain to live in Halifax with my bride. In the 1940s the city of Halifax was teeming with Europeans who either were refugees from the east or war brides. What was most impressive to me was there was little prejudice against newly arrived migrants after the war.

Most everyone understood that Britain couldn’t insulate itself from the continent like it had done during its imperial past. During that time, I met a man who would be, for almost 60 years, my best friend, until his death in 2007. He was a Polish refugee who had left his native country when the Nazis invaded but with nowhere else to go in 1945 he put down roots in Yorkshire with his Belgian wife. It never occurred to me, my other friends, my family or my neighbours to question his right to reside in Britain with his family.

By the 1950s, my wife and I had saved enough to take a vacation in Europe. I was amazed how the recent peace had changed the continent for the better. Trade barriers were coming down and former enemies began to talk about the mutual benefits that greater co-operation could produce between countries. The concept of the European Union was taking shape as nations not shackled behind the iron curtain realised that building closer bonds with each other was economically beneficial as it helped secure a universal peace.

Our partnership with Europe over the decades created a social democratic ethos that made life better for ordinary workers like me. With measured movements the EU was slowly born over the decades of my life and for someone who had lived through the political and economic chaos of the 1930s and the carnage of the Second World War this was just commonsense.

The Second World War ended over seven decades ago and like the Great Depression it as fresh in my memory as the morning rain. But the lessons my generation taught to the generations born in the bosom of peace and cooperation are quickly being forgotten. Lasting peace can only be achieved and maintained when we strive to be united with other nations through prosperity and social justice. The EU, no matter how imperfect, is still the best vehicle to achieve that for Britain and the rest of Europe.

It’s why in spring 2017 when I hear birdsong break out from the treetops and remember the end of the Second World War, I don’t feel optimism for Britain but fear for its future. Since the EU referendum our nation has been trapped in a winter of fear, doubt and distrust. The reasons for our angst are clear; Britain stands on the precipice of Brexit. This is the most momentous decision taken by this nation since the end of the Second World War and the Government’s inability to admit to the complexity of Brexit is concerning.

It’s why for me Theresa May’s unexpected General Election call for June seems more like cynical politics than leadership. For me the tragedy of Brexit is that it was the blood, sweat and tears of my generation that helped forge a more perfect union between Britain and Europe. Now that appears lost and our country feels shorn of hope because hollow words of rich Tory politicians will never replace the benefits in trade, culture, workers rights, and security we derived from being a member of the EU.

Harry Leslie Smith was a 95 year old author and activist who has written 5 books including Harry’s Last Stand on the history of his generation and today’s political realities

A brilliant testimony from Harry.....a true hero whose empathy rises above hatred and the sheer futility of war. There were many similar stories told by other veterans on todays excellent coverage from the BBC. An Army medic told how one of the last patients he treated was a 16 year old German lad who had both legs blown off, but was still alive.....just about. He eventually died in the medics arms and he told how the memory of that has been with him forever.

This is one of my favourites. The book is also a very good read too;

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-06-07 5:21 PM

Yesterday on the anniversary of D-Day it seems unfortunately in Shipley which is next door to Bradford for those who dont know some war graves were vandalised ... https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/crime/commonwealth-war-graves-commission-slam-shipley-vandalism-as-complete-lack-of-respect-1-9810788 ... Disgusting doesnt come close

Prolly some deranged lefty who is demanding reparations for killing the enemy *-) ........

Of course we must remember all those who died in the war. Including those who didn't fight. Like the Merchant Seamen in the Arctic Convoys who were ignored in Churchills VE Day speech because by that time he wanted to join the remains of the German Army and fight Stalin, who the Merchant Seamen had been supplying on his orders.

But does that remembrance really need to be organised?.

Is there a danger that Organised Remembrance, like Organised Religion, gets taken over by people pushing their own agenda?

John52 - 2019-06-07 10:31 PM

Of course we must remember all those who died in the war. Including those who didn't fight. Like the Merchant Seamen in the Arctic Convoys who were ignored in Churchills VE Day speech because by that time he wanted to join the remains of the German Army and fight Stalin, who the Merchant Seamen had been supplying on his orders.

Is there a danger that Organised Remembrance, like Organised Religion, gets taken over by people pushing their own agenda?

There were many other non-combatants John most of whom went unrecognised such as CO's (conscientious objectors) though there were exceptions. Lance Corporal William Coltman of the Staffordshire Regiment was awarded the Victoria Cross, the Military Medal, and twice the Distinguished Conduct Medal.....the only CO to have been awarded with high honour. He signed up as a stretcher bearer and because of his religion, never fired a shot. He's one of UK's most highly decorated as the full list shows here....a truly remarkable man!

http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bbcoltma.htm

Also people like 92 years old Marie Scott, a switchboard operator on D-day who was awarded the Legion D'Honneur by France.

Well worth listening to her speaking to Matt Frei here......a very wise lady whose words many would do well to give consideration and respect to.

https://www.channel4.com/news/tributes-in-normandy-to-mark-75th-anniversary-of-d-day

No one "must remember" anyone if they dont wish to ... Most folk though quite happily do choose to remember all those who died and fought for our country

Birdbrain - 2019-06-08 6:06 AM

No one "must remember" anyone if they dont wish to ... Most folk though quite happily do choose to remember all those who died and fought for our country

Your propoganda bias illustrates my point Anthony.

I never suggested anyone shouldn't be remembered.

Just asked whether that remembrance needs to be ORGANISED, and used for subtle propoganda. Like only remembering those who fought for the Government. And ignoring those who actually won the freedoms you and I enjoy today. Like the early political activists, Chartists. Trade Unions, and Suffragettes who won us the vote. They tend to get airbrushed out, as they are a political embarrasement to those organising our remembrance.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-06-08 7:08 AM

Just asked whether that remembrance needs to be ORGANISED, and used for subtle propoganda. Like only remembering those who fought for the Government. And ignoring those who actually won the freedoms you and I enjoy today. Like the early political activists, Chartists. Trade Unions, and Suffragettes who won us the vote. They tend to get airbrushed out, as they are a political embarrasement to those organising our remembrance.

Here we go *-) ...........

He'll be off on his Peterloo hobby horse next :D .........

John52 - 2019-06-08 7:08 AM

Your "bias" illustrates my point Peter ... I never suggested you said anyone shouldn't be remembered

pelmetman - 2019-06-08 7:16 AM

Anthony has given me another one now :-D

'Birdbrain' is a misnomer because birds can be very intelligent. A homing pigeon for example, has a navigational capability that would put him, and even some professional pilots, to shame (lol)

John52 - 2019-06-08 9:11 AM

pelmetman - 2019-06-08 7:16 AM

Anthony has given me another one now :-D

'Birdbrain' is a misnomer because birds can be very intelligent. A homing pigeon for example, has a navigational capability that would put him, and even some professional pilots, to shame (lol)

But can a homing pigeon wipe its own bottom ... No it cant ... So they aint so cute are they ... As for your homing pigeons putting professional pilots to shame Ive yet to see a pigeon flying a Boeing 747 so there again I dont believe you

Guest pelmetman

I wonder what the 383,600 servicemen & women who fought and died in WW2 would think if they saw the UK today? :-S .......

A country where 48% are using every dirty trick in the book to remain in the Fourth Reich and deny the democratic right of the 52%........

Where the Socialist workers Party aka Labour......Is riven with antisemitism.......and led by a Communist who likes to Kowtow to Irish and Islamist terrorists........

They'd probably think their ultimate sacrifice has been betrayed.........I know I would :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2019-06-09 9:00 AM

I wonder what the 383,600 servicemen & women who fought and died in WW2 would think if they saw the UK today? :-S .......

That's easy if only you bothered to look, listen or read. I posted a link previously but of course you won't listen. But what do these old fools know eh? A lot more than idiots like you.....that's what they know.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-d-day-anniversary-veterans-ww2-eu-europe-a8946046.html

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/d-day-veteran-calls-brexit-crying-shame-effort-unite-europe-9840041/

https://tinyurl.com/y2ady4nk

https://www.channel4.com/news/tributes-in-normandy-to-mark-75th-anniversary-of-d-day

A country where 48% are using every dirty trick in the book to remain in the Fourth Reich and deny the democratic right of the 52%........

A country torn apart by a bunch of hot headed lunatics who used 'every dirty trick in the book' from lying to vote rigging to subvert democracy and drag UK out of the EU.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-06-09 3:19 PM

That's easy if only you bothered to look, listen or read. I posted a link previously but of course you won't listen. But what do these old fools know eh? A lot more than idiots like you.....that's what they know.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-d-day-anniversary-veterans-ww2-eu-europe-a8946046.html

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/d-day-veteran-calls-brexit-crying-shame-effort-unite-europe-9840041/

A country torn apart by a bunch of hot headed lunatics who used 'every dirty trick in the book' from lying to vote rigging to subvert democracy and drag UK out of the EU.

Idiot Lefty *-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-06-09 6:55 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-06-09 3:19 PM

Idiot Lefty *-) ........

You wondered what our service men and women who fought in WW2 (there were actually many non-combatants too that contributed though you obviously aren't interested) would think of UK today.....and you come out with a vile remark like that.

You're beneath contempt with your ugly mindset.

Archived