Danger of medical Isotype supply shortage

Bulletguy

Here's something else which was not on the ballot paper. There could be a shortage of radioactive isotopes used for treating tumours and cancer if there are border delays due to Brexit and/or no deal.

All are imported from Europe and no hospital can afford any delays as the isotopes degrade rapidly. They have a total shelf life of just 66 hours.

Worse still government have known about this all along yet said, and done, absolutely nothing to address the issue or avert it.

The Royal College of Radiologists and the British Nuclear Medicine Society have already expressed grave concerns about the supply of medical isotopes, following Brexit, and the clear risk to patients should supplies be interrupted.

While it may be possible for the UK to remain within existing arrangements, “it will be exceptionally complicated and the UK’s position will inevitably be weakened,” writes McKee.

Crucially, the government has offered no real clarity as to how any agreement might be achieved, he adds. The position paper on Euratom published by the UK government in July 2017 contained little detail even on nuclear power and made no mention of medical isotopes.

“Ministers have no excuse for failing to anticipate this controversy,” he says. “The problems were highlighted clearly in an article in the Financial Times in February 2017 and in briefings by nuclear industry experts. Yet, as with all aspects of the Brexit negotiations, there is no evidence of any serious planning.”

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/leaving-europes-nuclear-regulator-will-put-patients-at-risk-warns-expert/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-30 11:15 AM

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 9:29 AM

More project fear *-) ...........

Undoubtedly, Dave. Better hope you don't get a positive diagnosis in the near future!

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 11:20 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-30 11:15 AM

Undoubtedly, Dave. Better hope you don't get a positive diagnosis in the near future!

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part ;-) ..........

Oh Dave, how could you? :-D :-D :-D

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-30 3:53 PM

Are you now disputing the professionals at BMJ? You'd do well to check out the background of what you're dismissing so disparagingly with such a silly soundbite.

So you think the EU will refuse to sell us Isotopes? ;-) ...........

Well if that's true?...... then that proves what a nasty vindictive institution the EU is, and confirms I and 52% of the population was absolutely right to vote LEAVE >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 10:37 PM

Are you now disputing the professionals at BMJ? You'd do well to check out the background of what you're dismissing so disparagingly with such a silly soundbite.

Oh FGS here we go again....*-) ....listen and read to the two links posted yesterday. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'selling isotopes' you dummy.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-30 10:49 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 10:37 PM

Oh FGS here we go again....*-) ....listen and read to the two links posted yesterday. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'selling isotopes' you dummy.

You mean this tosh ;-) ..........

While it may be possible for the UK to remain within existing arrangements, “it will be exceptionally complicated and the UK’s position will inevitably be weakened,”

How will it be exceptionally complicated?.........do we not already have a system in place?.........

Its just pure unadulterated scaremongering *-) .............

Barryd999 - 2019-01-30 11:00 PM

The main issue is they need to be moved quickly, you cannot stockpile them, there are many medicines that cannot be stockpiled. Never mind, perhaps Seaborne can buy some of those dinghies off those migrants, ship a few over.

It's futile Barry. He's seriously demented and won't listen to any reports as he fears hearing something which might 'upset' his "win". He hasn't even grasped the basics of this report at all because he just will not listen or read.

Guest pelmetman

The main issue is they need to be moved quickly, you cannot stockpile them, there are many medicines that cannot be stockpiled. Never mind, perhaps Seaborne can buy some of those dinghies off those migrants, ship a few over.

So?.........If they're life span is so short I'd thought they were flown in anyway ;-) ..........

If not......then there's your answer B-) ............

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 11:10 PM

So?.........If they're life span is so short I'd thought they were flown in anyway ;-) ..........

Oh FGS!!!! Why won't you just listen to that report? What are you so afraid of?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-30 11:29 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-30 11:10 PM

Oh FGS!!!! Why won't you just listen to that report? What are you so afraid of?

I've had a gut full of Remoaner whinging :-| ...........

So I don't need to read, watch or listen to any more pathetic Remoaner scare stories *-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-01-31 10:50 AM.....................….I've had a gut full of FACTS, because they don't confirm what I want them to confirm.

So I don't need to read, watch or listen to FACTS *-) ...........

But you do, Dave, you just won't! They haven't disappeared; it's only you who thinks they have. Sooner or later, they'll just pop up - and bite you on the bum! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-31 2:29 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-31 10:50 AM.....................….I've had a gut full of FACTS, because they don't confirm what I want them to confirm.

But you do, Dave, you just won't! They haven't disappeared; it's only you who thinks they have. Sooner or later, they'll just pop up - and bite you on the bum! :-D

He'd still be in denial and blame the EU. *-)

Guest pelmetman

Remoaner propaganda is not facts Brian *-) ...........

How accurate have your experts been so far???? >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-31 10:47 PM

Genuine question i'd like you to answer and i don't want to read any silly deflection either. In your post-Brexit dreamland of unicorns, worst case faces you as a family member lies critically ill in a cancer unit in urgent need of treatment. You're told radioisotopes essential to the treatment have been facing serious delays getting through UK border controls. Are you going to dismiss the Oncologist telling you and claim that's just "remoaner propaganda and not fact".......or will you believe what he tells you and be concerned enough for your family member?

No deflection and no bs....straight answer only....if you can manage that.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-01 1:27 AM

Genuine question i'd like you to answer and i don't want to read any silly deflection either. In your post-Brexit dreamland of unicorns, worst case faces you as a family member lies critically ill in a cancer unit in urgent need of treatment. You're told radioisotopes essential to the treatment have been facing serious delays getting through UK border controls. Are you going to dismiss the Oncologist telling you and claim that's just "remoaner propaganda and not fact".......or will you believe what he tells you and be concerned enough for your family member?

Get a grip you stupid old fool............IT WONT HAPPEN >:-) ..........

Jeeezus you Remoaners are a pathetic bunch of gutless cowards *-) .............

pelmetman - 2019-02-01 9:36 AM

My good lady isn't a gutless coward, what she is is a survivor of Follicular Lymphoma who has been through a year of chemo and radiotherapy. Now she's having immunotherapy treatment, a treatment that utilises imported isotopes.

I know for your other posts that you care little for us remoaners, but put yourself in her shoes and how you would react when the BMJ and ALL other experts all say this is a problem, but you, based on no credible evidence say "It wont happen".

http://www.scientistsforeu.uk/medical_radioisotopes_nodeal

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-01 1:37 PM

I know for your other posts that you care little for us remoaners, but put yourself in her shoes and how you would react when the BMJ and ALL other experts all say this is a problem, but you, based on no credible evidence say "It wont happen".

From your link ;-) .........

"In 2008, a Channel Tunnel fire interrupted the supply of medical radioisotopes from the continent. Though the disturbance was brief, services were notably affected, resulting in the re-prioritising of patients. Similarly, industrial action at Calais in 2015 resulted in radioisotopes having to be flown in."

They've kinda answered their own scaremongering, by demonstrating there are other options *-) ...........

BTW I have the same regard for Remoaners as they have for us Brexiteers :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-02-01 9:36 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-01 1:27 AM

As i expected.......more deflection and bullsh1t. I'll ignore your grossly offensive and insensitive remark too as given the thread topic, you could show some empathy and humanity but you're incapable of either which i find pretty sickening.

pelmetman - 2019-02-01 2:18 PM

Fast Pat - 2019-02-01 1:37 PM

From your link ;-) .........

"In 2008, a Channel Tunnel fire interrupted the supply of medical radioisotopes from the continent. Though the disturbance was brief, services were notably affected, resulting in the re-prioritising of patients. Similarly, industrial action at Calais in 2015 resulted in radioisotopes having to be flown in."

They've kinda answered their own scaremongering, by demonstrating there are other options *-) ...........

BTW I have the same regard for Remoaners as they have for us Brexiteers :D ........

It's a good job that flights in and out of the country won't be affected in the event of no deal..........oh hang on....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Apart from the turmoil aviation will face they will also face the same paperwork and customs issues as the ferries. However its not just that and the cost implications if you read this report.

“There are concerns about increasing the number coming in by air,” she told the Health Committee, “Most of the medical radioisotopes come through Coventry Airport, and there is a good bulk of expertise there on how to manage them efficiently and effectively. Does it have the capacity if we increase the amount coming in by air? We do not think so.”

I dont think its just a case of ringing an air courier and flinging them on a plane to be handled by Brexit Bob in the same way as he chucks your suitcases about when you go on holiday.

Barryd999 - 2019-02-01 5:32 PM

Apart from the turmoil aviation will face they will also face the same paperwork and customs issues as the ferries. However its not just that and the cost implications if you read this report.

“There are concerns about increasing the number coming in by air,” she told the Health Committee, “Most of the medical radioisotopes come through Coventry Airport, and there is a good bulk of expertise there on how to manage them efficiently and effectively. Does it have the capacity if we increase the amount coming in by air? We do not think so.”

I dont think its just a case of ringing an air courier and flinging them on a plane to be handled by Brexit Bob in the same way as he chucks your suitcases about when you go on holiday.

Pelmethead ignored that bit as he thinks he knows better than Dr Jeanette Dickson, Vice-President of the Faculty of Clinical Oncology at the Royal College of Radiologists. These are the professionals he dismisses with disparaging comments and silly soundbites drummed into him by his cult.

Archived