Darwin Awards

Guest Tracker

Reported in today's news is the story of a British woman in France who was looking for somewhere to stay. Seeing a building labelled 'Hotel de Ville' she dashed in to see if there was a room available but first went to the lavatory.

Whilst she was in the loo the council committee meeting ended and off went the councillors, locking the door after them. She was locked in all night and only rescued because ultimately she pressed a notice against the window on which she'd written, in dreadful French, that she was locked in and could someone please open the door.

Also reported today was a Swedish couple who programmed Carpi into their satnav, instead of Capri. Arriving in the tourist office in Carpi, an industrial town in the north of Italy and 400 km from Capri, they asked to be directed to one of Capri's famous tourist spots. The manager of the tourist office asked them if they hadn't thought it odd that, with Capri being an island, they hadn't crossed any water to get there?

You couldn't make it up!

But just how do you climb into a helium filled balloon? They are under pressure and as soon as you open one all the Helium rushes out

:-S

As for the guy who dismantled a RPG with his truck then a sledge hammer, how do they know that's what he did? He blew himself up apparently :-S .

The Darwin Awards are funny but I suspect some of them are either made up or just exaggerated.

D.

When I was young and innocent (last year?), wandering the woods with a school friend, we came across what turned out to be an old mortar bomb.  We put it on the ground and threw stones at it - from behind a tree of course.  Not daft you see!

After we'd hit it a few times with no result, we decided it was probably a dud, and my friend said he would take it into the police station the next morning, on his way to school.

Apparently, it emptied the police station, for a while!

Guest Tracker

The year before Brian's 'incident' I put half an inch of water in an old treacle can and soldered the lid on before hiding it in a camp fire. Luckily no body was injured but it taught me a lesson in steam power that I have never forgotten.

Shortly after that I threw half a biscuit tin - remember biscuit tins? - of sugar and biscuit crumbs onto an open fire - and lost some skin of my hands and arms and most of my eyebrows and hair in the resulting flashback - another lesson well learned from the university of life!

The rest of my life has been quite boring since then with only the occasional extreme stupidity!

Tracker - 2009-08-24 7:13 PM

Sorry Dave - I didn't print 'em - I only linked to 'em!

And it's gotta be worth a laugh - innit?

Just for once I wasn't aiming my questioning mind at you Dick:D. Just wondering how do you climb into a balloon pressurised with helium without it going down on you?

D.

P.S. I think I just realised the answer, the daft buggers suffocated because they were wrapped in a giant condom (effectively), it wasn't the helium that suffocated them it was the rubber!

D.

One of the Life assurance claims I saw for a firm we looked after years ago was for a chap that was changing a tyre on a big tractor type vehicle in this firms workshop. The tyre was the sort that had a metal ring in the centre.

When the tyre was "fixed" air was pumped back in but this chap noticed that this locking ring was not seated properly but rather than let it all down and start again and before anyone could stop him he went over and started jumping on it. Sadly for him the ring came out under all the pressure in the tyre and took his head off.

Not funny for him or indeed his fellow workers who saw the whole thing. Nobody could understand why he did such a silly thing as safety rules prohibited going anywhere near and certainly stated that if in doubt strip back down and check again. So why did an experienced bloke with lots of experience break the rules and in so doing so kill himself?

For me this story has a small rider in that after reading what happened I became aware of these “rings” on large tyres/wheels and noticed one day that a lady who owned a horse lorry had a front tyre where the ring was not seated properly and the end of it was digging into the side wall of the tyre. I mentioned it to her and advised she gets it looked at. She said that other people had mentioned it including the Farmer on whose land we kept our horse.

Instead of getting it looked at she did nothing and a few weeks later on the way to an event she had a blow-out on the M3 that closed the M3 for hours, killed one of her horses outright and severely injured the other one.

So whilst I too think that some of the Darwin awards are fabricated a tad! – sadly there are people out there that do do the silliest things

All commercial tyres, especially those with these locking rings, have to be inflated behind special grills because of this danger, even a burst without the ring flying of can be extreemly dangerous. A sudden release of a huge amount of air at 80psi or above can sweep the floor clear of "everything" quiet quickly

Cannot remember if a cage was involved - this was years ago and i only read the report because it was the first death ever that a DISB (Death in Service benefit) scheme that we had set up was required to pay out.

I do remember the effect this had on the workforce of this firm - many were "not well" (genuinely) for many months, so horrific was the aftermath. So I can quite understand the cage Syd.

Only good thing was that despite the bad press Endowment mortgages have had, the widow had her home fully paid for by the policy (not set up by us - but we oversaw the claim) and on top of this the DISB scheme paid out 4 times salary as a lump sum.

Hi Dave,

I being really pedantic here, but wouldn't the lighter than air gas stay in the the balloon assuming the opening was at the bottom?

I am going out into the garden now to test my theory, If you hear a really, really, really high pitched scream please arrange mouth to mouth resuscitation immediately.

If your nearest Tracker, just let me die. :D

Regards PKC.

pkc - 2009-08-25 1:33 PM

Hi Dave,

I being really pedantic here, but wouldn't the lighter than air gas stay in the the balloon assuming the opening was at the bottom?

I am going out into the garden now to test my theory, If you hear a really, really, really high pitched scream please arrange mouth to mouth resuscitation immediately.

If your nearest Tracker, just let me die. :D

Regards PKC.

I think it has been mentioned on here previously about Trackers breath but that last remark was just a little unkind don't you think

Archived