Daughter dealing with disappointment

Scottish Joan

Hi peeps, I need advice on how to get my little girl deal with disappointment because we had an episode today which highlights that this is an area that we need to work on.

I promised her during the week that, if she was well behaved all week which included tidying her room then I'd give her a treat of her choice. She got the choice this morning because she had been good all week so she chose to go swimming.

After lunch, I got her to get ready, which she did within 5 minutes of being asked so I got her to sit in the car whilst I got myself ready. Once I was ready, I got into the car and checked how much petrol we had, it was a full tank. However, the car would start, everytime I turned the key, the engine just cranked and made the sound a car makes when it won't start, I spent about 5 minutes trying (without success) so I told my girl that, due to the fact the car isn't starting, we will have to cancel for today.

She was very upset with this and started shouting "why do we have a useless car, I hate it" then went inside and slammed the door of the house shut then went upstairs to her room and took a full blown tantrum, throwing dolls around her room and stomping her feet hard on the floor.

jumpstart - 2019-04-14 7:45 AM

We all have to deal with disappointment, half the country are struggling with it now, hopefully you called the RAC ,but then that could lead to more disappointment.

This is true. It must be pretty grim if your a Brexiteer right now. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-14 1:42 PM

jumpstart - 2019-04-14 7:45 AM

We all have to deal with disappointment, half the country are struggling with it now, hopefully you called the RAC ,but then that could lead to more disappointment.

This is true. It must be pretty grim if your a Brexiteer right now. (lol)

A delay is just a nuisance ;-) ...........

Albeit one with a silver lining B-) ..........

As we get to give Drunker & Co a farewell present >:-) ........

Nigel! Nigel! Nigel! :D .........

Children do not have the coping skills to get over disappointments which often arise because they control less of their life than an adult does. If you can keep a record of the tantrums and the cause, you might identify a trend in the causes eg always involve adults, always when she can't do something.

In the case of the car incident, why didn't the car start? I'd be annoyed if I'd looked forward to something and was disappointed - bit like putting in a good shift at work and then finding a computer error meant I didn't get paid. I get the impression that the trip out was more important to her than you - perhaps checking the car before she sat in with rising expectations. You could have asked her whether she had an alternative wish. I'm saying this with the benefit of hindsight.

Guest pelmetman

Is it me? :-S ........

Or is the rough end of a motorhome forum the first place to be looking for parenting hints? 8-) ......

Just askin? :D .....

Brock - 2019-04-16 3:28 PM

Children do not have the coping skills to get over disappointments which often arise because they control less of their life than an adult does.

If you can keep a record of the tantrums and the cause, you might identify a trend in the causes eg always involve adults, always when she can't do something.

I think it would be more beneficial to teach children that being disappointed occasionally in life is something they will have to get used to.

Proper planning can reduce disappointment but it can't always be eliminated.

Some things we can plan for - some we can't -

:-(

Archived