Delivery and a smile or tip?

jumpstart

malc d - 2021-01-07 4:48 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-07 4:08 PM

Should we really be tipping delivery guys?

The Guardian: You depend on those home deliveries – so stop being so British about tipping.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/06/home-deliveries-tipping-shops

I rather see everyone get a good living wage and conditions, and pay more for the goods.

:-|

I agree Malc. I've been shocked at the conditions some delivery drivers work under. A couple of years ago I bought a new washer and the guy who delivered it had been up since 4.30am and didn't expect to get back home until 7pm. Though i'd bought from the Co-Op he didn't work for them, he was a contract driver. I offered him a brew whilst he was bringing the machine in but he told me he couldn't afford the time. 8-)

We don't have that many deliveries but when we do, I do tend to tip couriers (as they've saved me the bother of seeking out and picking up,the item)and tradesmen (if I'm happy with their work) as they tend to be sole trader types.

The milkman and postman just get a tip at Christmas

Birdbrain - 2021-01-07 7:39 PM

My delivery van driver neighbour where I used to live made a fortune ... He had a good round which was Wakefield 1 and paid his mortgage off way early on the back of it ... The hate sisters will find doom and gloom in anything ... Its a habit they have

That's a very good reason not to tip.

Tipping is a sore subject with me.

I heard you shouldn't tip the bin men at Christmas because its a different crew to the rest of the year.

So I didn't.

Then I came home to find my bin hadn't been emptied >:-(

It included the remains of a gas fire I had replaced with electric

Apparently the bin men claimed my bin was 'too heavy' after my neighbour, an 86 year old lady, had wheeled it 40 metres to the end of the drive for them 8o|

John52 - 2021-01-08 6:32 AM

I heard you shouldn't tip the bin men at Christmas because its a different crew to the rest of the year.

So I didn't.

Apparently the bin men claimed my bin was 'too heavy' after my neighbour, an 86 year old lady, had wheeled it 40 metres to the end of the drive for them 8o|

Metalwork shouldn't be put in the bin , it should be taken to be recycled at the dump.

jumpstart - 2021-01-08 8:02 AM

John52 - 2021-01-08 6:32 AM

So I didn't.

Metalwork shouldn't be put in the bin , it should be taken to be recycled at the dump.

Yes but my van won't go under the height barrier, if they opened it for me it would add to the queues and delays, the environmental benefit of recycling such a small amount of metal would be negated by my journey there and back, and I saw a TV programme on waste disposal where the contents of our dustbins went along a conveyor under a magnet which separated the metal.

Archived