Devolved Competencies - Turned out to be a nuisance

StuartO

We're seeing the three devolved National Governments (Wales=Labour, Scotland=Scot Nat, N Ireland = coalition) each taking the opportunity of their devolved competences to exercise far greater influence over the handling of the coronavirus outbreak than would have been envisaged when the extent of their devolution was set up. They each have their party political reasons for wanting to distinguish themselves.

I imagine that our UK Government thought they were only giving away pretty harmless stuff, then along comes a virus pandemic and the rebellious Welsh and Scots, even the N Ireland lot are strutting their stuff as if they were running their own country. And poor old Bojo's team are having to put a brave face on and pretend it's all OK with them, they're happy that the Devolved Governments are just tweeking the gidelines and timings slightly to suit local needs.

Will there be a reckoning for all this I wonder?

It's easier for the devolved areas to do their own thing when they do not also have the responsibility of funding it without substantial aid from England who they all rely on for their living.

Whatever and whoever does what will always attract criticism from those who want more freedoms and also conversely from those who want less freedoms, and both sides no doubt will have convincing 'scientific' proof of their claims.

Until we gain more knowlege and experience over time of how Coronavirus works they are all right and they are all wrong.

So business as usual - damned if they do and damned if they don't - nothing new there then - political variations according to political beliefs for health and for financial risks?

Meanwhile back on planet Earth we will carry on using our own common sense to guide us in what we do or don't do.

StuartO - 2020-05-19 12:26 PM

We're seeing the three devolved National Governments (Wales=Labour, Scotland=Scot Nat, N Ireland = coalition) each taking the opportunity of their devolved competences to exercise far greater influence over the handling of the coronavirus outbreak than would have been envisaged when the extent of their devolution was set up. They each have their party political reasons for wanting to distinguish themselves.

I imagine that our UK Government thought they were only giving away pretty harmless stuff, then along comes a virus pandemic and the rebellious Welsh and Scots, even the N Ireland lot are strutting their stuff as if they were running their own country. And poor old Bojo's team are having to put a brave face on and pretend it's all OK with them, they're happy that the Devolved Governments are just tweeking the gidelines and timings slightly to suit local needs.

Will there be a reckoning for all this I wonder?

For decades, successive UK governments were perceived to have run the UK very largely for the benefit of London and the southeast of England.

IF they hadn't there would have been no devolution.

So what is happening now is devolved governments looking after their own populations as they see fit.

That is not a ' rebellion ' - it's democracy ( and it's their job, it's what they were elected to do ).

I doubt there will be a ' reckoning ' - ( although I'm not sure what that means ) - maybe a few ministers - and even scientific advisers, will be shuffled around - and we will settle down to a new normal.

My guess is that there will be endless inquiries - which will conclude that, with the benefit of hindsight, lessons must be learned.

:-(

Barryd999 - 2020-05-19 1:00 PM

Could be that the reckoning is for the English government if it turns out the Scots, Welsh and NI governments were right to stay locked down.

After all it was the English who changed the rules.....not the three devolved governments!

malc d - 2020-05-19 2:23 PM ....I doubt there will be a ' reckoning ' - ( although I'm not sure what that means ) - maybe a few ministers - and even scientific advisers, will be shuffled around - and we will settle down to a new normal. My guess is that there will be endless inquiries - which will conclude that, with the benefit of hindsight, lessons must be learned.

I have little doubt that politicians and their advisers are well capable of plotting revenge when the need arises and I would guess that Dominic Cummins already has Nicola Sturgeon on his list but equally she is not above taking any opportunity to move her Nationalist agenda forward either and this virus outbreak (coupled with her control of the Scottish NHS) give her an opportunity to score some useful points and collect a few more supporters. Boris will want to prevent Scottish Independence of course, by any means necessary, so I wouldn't count MrsSturgeons chickens just yet.

I have to say that I feel safer in Wales than I would in England as politicians ease lockdown. Also getting sick of having to sift through the governments announcements to work out if they apply to Wales, as they keep forgetting to mention that they are only making lockdown changes for England.

Stay safe everyone, stay alert (for unsafe politicians.)

Guest pelmetman
Conrad - 2020-05-20 9:35 PM

I have to say that I feel safer in Wales than I would in England as politicians ease lockdown. Also getting sick of having to sift through the governments announcements to work out if they apply to Wales, as they keep forgetting to mention that they are only making lockdown changes for England.

Stay safe everyone, stay alert (for unsafe politicians.)

Given Labours handling of the pandemic in Wales 8-) ............

I'd wanna stay in lockdown if I lived there ;-) ........

StuartO - 2020-05-19 3:25 PM

Boris will want to prevent Scottish Independence of course, by any means necessary.

Including flooding us with your money to bribe us not to vote for the Nationalists :D

BoJo keeps HIS empire - at YOUR expense :D

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-21 8:23 AM

StuartO - 2020-05-19 3:25 PM

Boris will want to prevent Scottish Independence of course, by any means necessary.

Including flooding us with your money to bribe us not to vote for the Nationalists :D

BoJo keeps HIS empire - at YOUR expense :D

Keep on dreamin ;-) .........

Archived