Do you BBQ?

J9withdogs

Sitting outside my 'van, soaking up the early evening sunshine on Sunday, my neighbours lit their BBQ.

Clouds of putrid smoke soon enveloped me and wafted through the open doors and windows of my 'van.

Give them their due, when I pointed this out to them, they took BBQ to the bottom of the site.

But surely they must have known that the smoke would drift across the site? Did they think I would enjoy being smoked and have a 'van that smelt like a chipshop to sleep in?

Is it me or are BBQ's seriously anti-social?

J9withdogs - 2009-06-15 10:25 PM

Sitting outside my 'van, soaking up the early evening sunshine on Sunday, my neighbours lit their BBQ.

Clouds of putrid smoke soon enveloped me and wafted through the open doors and windows of my 'van.

Give them their due, when I pointed this out to them, they took BBQ to the bottom of the site.

But surely they must have known that the smoke would drift across the site? Did they think I would enjoy being smoked and have a 'van that smelt like a chipshop to sleep in?

No, it's not you, and yes, they can be seriously anti-social if the people using it are thoughtless.

:-(

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2009-06-15 10:25 PM

It's you! :->

not any more anti social than people with dogs that yap or bark half the day and night, or people with kids who run about shouting and screaming all day, or those ones who have arguments in their vans, forgetting the walls are paper thin, or the ones who get drunk and abusive, or the ones who sit loudly chatting till late at night, or the ones who leave half their litter behind and don't bother to clear their pitch when they leave, or...

You're on a campsite with a teeny van/caravan/tent, surrounded by other people - lots of them - so you should show some consideration, but we all have to accept some issues and just live with them.

Anyone considerate is likely to move their bbq to affect as few people as possible.

although you should have asked if you could have popped some food on the their bbq!

On site a couple of weeks ago, the weather was glorious so the (gas) BBQ was on from breakfast time.

There is some difference of course with gas versus charcoal and in my view gas produces less whiffs. Nonetheless I did my best to let our whiffs "hit" our van so to speak rather than drift next door, who were at least 30 ft away.

So imagine my surprise when I light it in the evening and I can clearly hear our "neighbour" say, "oh my God, he's lighting the b****y thing again"

I mean what are you supposed to do? It was full up 23-24 degrees, cook in the van? Yes they can be a nuisance but providing you make as much provision as possible for not stinking your neighbour out what else can you do?

Martyn

I agree, but the BBQ has been a part of camping for so long now it is not going to go away.

However, I really do like the social side of BBQ's on site, so I guess it is mainly a matter of showing some respect for nearby campers.

I have bought a Cobb BBQ, and apart from a couple of false starts due to using poor quality coals, I think it may be the answer, it does the job on very little fuel, and is virtually smokeless after the initial start-up, the food is the most tasty and succulent of all the BBQ's I've used.

Anyway, If I didn't BBQ what excuse could I use for drinking so much beer?

P.S Anybody got any Recipes for the Cobb that they would like to share?

Regards PKC.

" the Americans are the only people who go hunting on a full stomach"

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-16 10:11 AM

not any more anti social than people with dogs that yap or bark half the day and night, or people with kids who run about shouting and screaming all day, or those ones who have arguments in their vans, forgetting the walls are paper thin, or the ones who get drunk and abusive, or the ones who sit loudly chatting till late at night, or the ones who leave half their litter behind and don't bother to clear their pitch when they leave, or...

You're on a campsite with a teeny van/caravan/tent, surrounded by other people - lots of them - so you should show some consideration, but we all have to accept some issues and just live with them.

Anyone considerate is likely to move their bbq to affect as few people as possible.

although you should have asked if you could have popped some food on the their bbq!

Hear hear!!!

josie gibblebucket - 2009-06-16 9:37 AM

I must confess to being guilty of this. Not deliberately of course, but the wind changed direction and got up speed. I did go and apologise to the neighbours and moved the BBQ, then the wind changed direction again so we all got smoked out. I agree they can be a nuisance. *-)

So you and Janine have met now, have you Nicola? :D

My approach would be to invite the neighbours round for a "bring your own," and get to know them the way we always used to on sites (before so many people discovered that you can run a telly in a van!)

yep Tony, that's the problem - for those of us who started camping using a 20 year old Sprite followed by a Bedford Ca, we remember the golden days before tellies and other such luxuries in vans.

It is my honest opinion that the advent of 12v tellies killed caravanning/motorhoming by making everyone anti-social and unfriendly, cocooned in their expensive moving palaces, never leaving them, not chatting to anyone, or saying hello, spending all their time looking daggers at the person who dares pitch up next to them, in case they use their air or their tiny bit of rented for the night land or pollute them with bbq smoke, noise or whatever.

I remember many Classic Camper Club meets where we sat round the barbie and chatted to friends old and new. The social aspect of motorhoming is sadly lacking nowadays and one only has to look at every letters page of the caravan club magazines to see this.

I am a mere amateur as a grumpy person in comparison to some of the anti-social, miserable old farts who have nothing better to do but write to magazines complaining because their neighbours weren't to their liking. God forbid living next door to such 'meddling ratbags'!

:-D

The issues of BBQ smoke does not just apply to camping sites. What about when your neighbours light up in the confines of their own properties, they cannot control the wind or it's changing direction. If we see a neighbour has washing out on the line or indeed patio doors open we will always tell them that we plan to have a Barbie, this is always met with appreciation and never any acrimony. Many a time they will say how's about we bring the wine, beer and salad and join you, my response, forget the salad and you have a deal

Both at home and whilst camping I try to position the BBQ as considerately as possible. However, as all us macho BBQ cooks can tell you, once the Barbie is lit there should be very little smoke other than that created by hot sizzling fat and cooking meat or fish, now that smell is wonderful and should really get the gastric juices flowing. If there is a lot of smoke coming from the BBQ then it is usually a novice or a woman doing the cooking (OOOOOHHH !)

I know that when I am on site and I can smell someone elses food cooking on the barbie it's time to get out the coals and join in the feast :D :D

Big Momma - 2009-06-16 3:03 PM

If there is a lot of smoke coming from the BBQ then it is usually a novice or a woman doing the cooking (OOOOOHHH !)

Oooh..you do like to live dangerously, don't you?

I suppose I should choose a different hobby - I went off the smell of BBQs when I was preggy 27 years ago and still can't stand the smell.

I do take myself off for a walk if it's too bad, but I didn't really want to have to close all the windows and vents on a hot evening to avoid having to sleep with the smell too.

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-16 2:25 PM

yep Tony, that's the problem - for those of us who started camping using a 20 year old Sprite followed by a Bedford Ca, we remember the golden days before tellies and other such luxuries in vans.

It is my honest opinion that the advent of 12v tellies killed caravanning/motorhoming by making everyone anti-social and unfriendly,.....

Can I confess to a white lie from years ago, burying it safely on this unrelated thread? When our kids were little, we told them that it wasn't possible to run a TV in a campervan, so they had wonderful holidays in the open air. When they asked "How come they've got one in that caravan?" I told them campervans were different - something to do with the engine interfering. They're now 26 & 29, and have forgiven us - and they still have holidays without TV!

Guest peter
If you don't like a bit of smoke from outdoor cooking stay at home, and get it from the neighbours there. :D

peter - 2009-06-16 4:01 PM

If you don't like a bit of smoke from outdoor cooking stay at home, and get it from the neighbours there. :D

Absolutely right, Peter...and if we were talking about a 'bit of smoke' I'd be the first to agree with you.

But I'm talking about billowing clouds of fat-laden rancid-smelling smoke allowed to drift straight through the door of my van.

Am I not entitled to enjoy sitting outside my van on a lovely summer's evening without being smoked like a kipper?

Personally I totally LOVE the smell of a BBQ. And if a camping neighbour has one I go over and have a chat. Never been turned away and it is great sharing a beer with new friends.

I think I can appreciate that some do not like the smoke but as others have said - it is summer! it is sunny! it is BBQ season!

To me the smell of a BBQ is the same as the waft of cooking bacon and eggs in the morning. It is synonymous with summer and camping in particular and long may it continue.

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-16 2:25 PM

It is my honest opinion that the advent of 12v tellies killed caravanning/motorhoming by making everyone anti-social and unfriendly, cocooned in their expensive moving palaces, never leaving them, not chatting to anyone, or saying hello, spending all their time looking daggers at the person who dares pitch up next to them, in case they use their air or their tiny bit of rented for the night land or pollute them with bbq smoke, noise or whatever.

I remember many Classic Camper Club meets where we sat round the barbie and chatted to friends old and new. The social aspect of motorhoming is sadly lacking nowadays and one only has to look at every letters page of the caravan club magazines to see this.

I am a mere amateur as a grumpy person in comparison to some of the anti-social, miserable old farts who have nothing better to do but write to magazines complaining because their neighbours weren't to their liking. God forbid living next door to such 'meddling ratbags'!

:-D

Well Jannie. First a dog then a Pro now a meddling ratbag eh!

Going up in the world I'd say :D But yes i'm like you, i dont like them, Great when it rains eh. :-D

Dave

J9withdogs - 2009-06-16 3:21 PM

Big Momma - 2009-06-16 3:03 PM

If there is a lot of smoke coming from the BBQ then it is usually a novice or a woman doing the cooking (OOOOOHHH !)

Oooh..you do like to live dangerously, don't you?

I suppose I should choose a different hobby - I went off the smell of BBQs when I was preggy 27 years ago and still can't stand the smell.

I do take myself off for a walk if it's too bad, but I didn't really want to have to close all the windows and vents on a hot evening to avoid having to sleep with the smell too.

I am sure that you realised that my comment on novices and women was meant as a tongue in cheek remark and I trust that you took it that way.

No you should not choose a different hobby ! I enjoy my Barbies and like to think that I am reasonable and considerate, but unfortunately there are some elements who do not live by the same principles so I do genuinely sympathise if you had an unpleasant experience. Did you actually mention the discomfort you were experiencing to your neighbours, who may not have been aware (?)

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-16 10:11 AM

Er Campbell ... can I remind you of a certain Scottish Micro Car Rally (The Shortbread Rally) way back in 1996 I think ... where a certain 'lady' had camped in our reserved club area but, out of the goodness of our hearts, we let her stay. Later she came over, late at night, and complained at us all for making too much racket ... I seem to recall the phrase "a Land Rover winch makes a dangerous weapon!" 8-) >:-)

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2009-06-16 4:54 PM

peter - 2009-06-16 4:01 PM

Absolutely right, Peter...and if we were talking about a 'bit of smoke' I'd be the first to agree with you.

But I'm talking about billowing clouds of fat-laden rancid-smelling smoke allowed to drift straight through the door of my van.

Am I not entitled to enjoy sitting outside my van on a lovely summer's evening without being smoked like a kipper?

I agree Janine, I was only joshing. What was going on at this BBQ? are you sure it wasn't an Indian funeral pyre? they want to start that over here as well now you know. :D

Yes we BBQ and love them we try to be considerate but i'm sure i annoy some people. What i love are the people who obviously don't agree with what you're doing but don't approach you to make a polite request, instead they harumph loudly and complain to their OH in an overly loud voice intending for me to overhear. I love that and it's game on, i know it's petty and childish but that's me.

It depends on what mood I'm in as to what annoys me, sometimes it's nice to hear children playing and having fun,sometimes they're annoying brats not in control of their parents. Sometimes it's nice to see dog owners and dogs enjoying each others company other times they are noisy messy pointless over molly coddled wastes of oxygen,( and that's just the owners). Anyway i think by now you get the drift.

Archived