Do you remember...........

josie gibblebucket

Having a Tiger in your Tank,

Petrol at 6/- per gallon, served by an attendant from a proper pump that dinged as the needle passed the top of the dial

Esso Blue

Crystal Sets then transistor radios

The first pocket calculators and the horrendous price of same

IZAL toilet paper

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads were 8 for 1d

"I shot JR" bumper stickers

The nit nurse

£10 Poms

Bond Bugs (made by Reliant I think)?

The public reaction to the new "jelly mould" Ford Sierra

Your and you partners name across the sunshade (I didn't have a boyfriend, so I put Excuse me on the front of my mk1 Cortina and thankyou on the back)!

The Raleigh Wisp Moped

Milk Churns outside farms

The Rag and Bone man (ours came on a horse and cart and gave you a balloon if you took something out for him)

The first Pantyhose

French skipping with elastic round your ankles!

Playing British Bulldogs at school, then rushing to the top field to watch a pre-arranged scrap!

Those Garfield toys that people used to stick in their radiator so it looked like he'd been run into!

Apollo 8

Impetigo

Deposits on pop/beer bottles (early recycling)

Is that you behind those Foster Grants?

Is she or isn't she wearing Harmony Hairspray?

Those baby books where you could fill in the pages with a lock of hair and baby's progress generally. My son will be 29 this year, I still have not been able to put a date in the page for baby's first smile! (I'm serious)

The thrill of passing your driving test and getting your first car.

Happy days indeed!

:-) :-)

brings back memories remember filling my moped [puch maxi] for 29 pence.

enjoyed british bulldog at school may be banned now as being too rough.

the gas lampost which was lit each night by an old man pushing his bike along.

having milk delivered to you door.

the post arriving by 8am.

using the old style hard turtle wax to polish the paintwork.

bread and dripping sandwiches with lashings salt.

not having to book a dr's appoint in advanced, first come first served in the waiting room.

the old money [half crowns, florins, shillings and threepenny bits]

Worked in the local Esso station for a few weeks when I left school Josie and I was expected to fill up, check the tyres and clean the windscreen. Think I was paid about £1. 25p (forgotton how to write in old money already. £1.5s ?). First car that came in and I could,nt find the filler cap, much to the immusement of the owner and other lads. Think it was a Ford Consul and the cap was hidden behind the flip down number plate. Customers always bought in gallons then and more often than not you were given a note and told to keep the change which was always a great incentive to give that 'service with a smile', much as they do today. 8-)

duetto owner - 2009-05-17 10:49 AM

enjoyed british bulldog at school may be banned now as being too rough.,

Oh yes, I had a Puch Maxi, a blue one. Forgot about that, seem to remember I wrote it off!

I can actually remember Woolworths having gas lights too, though I must have been pretty young then, and I broke my arm playing British Bulldogs (well somebody pushed me over and stamped on it, not very kind)

The other thing I just remembered was pencil trolls with brightly coloured hair!

howie - 2009-05-17 11:15 AM

Worked in the local Esso station for a few weeks when I left school Josie and I was expected to fill up, check the tyres and clean the windscreen. Think I was paid about £1. 25p (forgotton how to write in old money already. £1.5s ?). )

Surely that wasn't £1.25 per week?????

I can remember my first camping experience when there were about four of us in a small ridge tent camped in a field for a week.

By about Thursday we had no money left and the only food we had was bread, marge, Oxo cubes and sugar.

So we lived on that 'til the end of the week.

Ah, the good old days !

duetto owner - 2009-05-17 10:49 AM

enjoyed british bulldog at school may be banned now as being too rough.

the gas lampost which was lit each night by an old man pushing his bike along.

having milk delivered to you door.

With cardboard stoppers,that you could play games with.Cant do much with silver foil, and it was delivered on a horse and cart.You cant put van exhast on your garden.

Valerie Leon in the "Hai Karate" adverts.

Being given "Hai Karate" as a Christmas present. *-)

Sense of real achievement at finally attaining a "four figure salary" i.e. £1,000 per year.

The policeman on points duty in a wooden box at major road junctions. (Or any visible policeman for that matter.)

Widespread good manners and consideration.

Addressing ladies as "ma'am" and not getting funny looks.

Standing when a lady entered the room was unremarkable.

The Empire (no, not the picture house, most of the known world.)

Yobs not being excessively yobbish for fear of an appointment with a Birching Stool.

Driving for many, many miles before seeing another car.

Tiger Moths giving pleasure flights off Southport Beach.

As a child, being given a half-crown (twelve and a half new pence) for the first time and feeling loaded.

Bob

Stick on bullet holes with fina petrol

watneys red barrel beer & double diamond (worked wonders you know)

do you remember

get it at tesco, wonderful tesco, the store with so much more than groceries.?

lambretta scooters, spent more time pushing them than riding them.

when sunblest bread, was delivered to your door.

working for wrensons for £4.75p a week, and if you failed to turn up on saturday, they docked you £2.00.

Often give 50p change at car boots, and tell them to treat themselves to fish & chips twice on the way home.

Pete

Sort of along the lines of the thread, I quite often mutter on about what my late Father, (he died in 1993), would say to some of the things we have today..

The Internet

A Dongle

£5 for two pints of bitter

£75 to fill a petrol tank

100 channels on TV

£140000 for the house he paid £7000 for

A new car being cheaper than the last new one he bought in 1984

Flying to Europe for £10

To name but a few...

Martyn

Ringtons Tea that was delived by a horse drawn carraige.

Tot Fenny the Stick man with his horse and cart.

Spangles.

Tops and wips that we played in the middle of the road with!

mountains of Calie in the Meadow Dairy.

queing outside the picture house clutching my sixpence for the Saturday Maternee

Our first home with no hot water or bathroom (the young marrieds to-day would weep)

A Gas washer that boiled clothes but you had to turn a handle to poss them!

£2. 7/6p my wage as an office junior.

Our first car a Heinkle Bubble with a place for the carricot on the back seat! you pushed the door at the front to open up.

Our second an A35 Van that we put seats in the back and covered the inside walls with oilcloth to soundproof it, packed it up with a ridge tent two babies in nappies and headed fo Windy Hill at Whitby.

Oh Happy Days.

:-D :-D :-D

Bond Bugs - they were indeed made by Reliant when they bought the Bond company but used the name.

Heinkel ... lovely cars but very underpowered!

"Hot kiddy hot cake" man - used to come round in his van with freshly baked hot bread cakes ... yum!

Who said bread & dripping ........ oooooo scrumptious!!! :D

1717588834_Bugsinarow.jpg.79ce535f0d546609d09427b77732e48f.jpg

Heinkel.jpg.9c4329560dcedf4947e160b7b1d5e3db.jpg

josie gibblebucket - 2009-05-17 8:15 AM

Having a Tiger in your Tank,

Petrol at 6/- per gallon, served by an attendant from a proper pump that dinged as the needle passed the top of the dial

Esso Blue

Crystal Sets then transistor radios

The first pocket calculators and the horrendous price of same

IZAL toilet paper

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads were 8 for 1d

"I shot JR" bumper stickers

The nit nurse

£10 Poms

Bond Bugs (made by Reliant I think)?

The public reaction to the new "jelly mould" Ford Sierra

Your and you partners name across the sunshade (I didn't have a boyfriend, so I put Excuse me on the front of my mk1 Cortina and thankyou on the back)!

The Raleigh Wisp Moped

Milk Churns outside farms

The Rag and Bone man (ours came on a horse and cart and gave you a balloon if you took something out for him)

The first Pantyhose

French skipping with elastic round your ankles!

Playing British Bulldogs at school, then rushing to the top field to watch a pre-arranged scrap!

Those Garfield toys that people used to stick in their radiator so it looked like he'd been run into!

Apollo 8

Impetigo

Deposits on pop/beer bottles (early recycling)

Is that you behind those Foster Grants?

Is she or isn't she wearing Harmony Hairspray?

Those baby books where you could fill in the pages with a lock of hair and baby's progress generally. My son will be 29 this year, I still have not been able to put a date in the page for baby's first smile! (I'm serious)

The thrill of passing your driving test and getting your first car.

Happy days indeed!

:-) :-)

Josie,

I dont remember French skipping with elastic round my ankles but I certainly remember French kissing with my pants round my ankles LOL

couldn't resist that one.

Plastic poppet beads .... you could add or take away to change the length

I worked on a Saturday in a music shop and it had booths where people could listen to music before buying a long playing record, or an EP or a single on vinyl. Heaven... all the gorgeous lads used to come in to talk to you or ask you out. :-D

I loved French skipping, only one that could do neckies as I had very long legs.

Got half a crown when I was 12 for stopping sucking my thumb for a week, would have been easier to go to work, so proud when I got it.

I remember my mum saying I could have 3d a day or 1/6 a week pocket money, I took the 1/6 blew the lot on sweets and regretted it for the rest of the week, went back to 3d a day, I was around 13 then I think.

Mandy

Early 1950s age ten.

Playing with WW11 ammunition that was still lying about boom boom.

Working on a farm with a carthorse pulling a hoe to kill the weeds. As weeds tangled up it became hard work for the horse and she would stop and turn her head and give you a reproachful stare. Later that year learning to drive a tractor.

My mate who had passed his test a week or two earlier teaching me to drive while he slept in the back seat of the 1935 Morris Eight we shared. I passed first time.

Most Isettas and Heinkels ended their days being towed backwards as the chassis made a smashing trailer for bikes etc.

Starting school in 1948 and using slates to write on.

Freezing cold floors covered in lino. Outdoor toilets with newspaper squares hung on a nail for toilet paper.

Hitch hiking- I saw the first one for a long while last week.

Wet batteries (accumulators) delivered for the radio.

seeing my first TV picture. On a a six inch diameter greeen screen ex radar set.

And later taking our first 'van over the Alps.

Hi,

Service at the petrol pumps?

My father was filling up when an African ambassador drove in in his huge black Mercry. "£4" he said. Attendant pumped £4 into the tank. Ambassador then insisted he had asked for 4 gallons (at about five shillings a gallon). After arguing for a couple of minutes, the attendant went into the office, came back with a pump on a trolley, sucked his petrol back out if the car.

Chucking down with rain one afternoon, girl serving on the pumps changed into a bikini. :-D

I thought a tyre was a bit soft (1935 Austin 10), so drove into a decrepid looking back street garage in Croydon. "A gallon of best please!" Believe it or not, the petrol came out of a hand cranked pump. "Can you check my tyres, too?". The old codger strolled into his office, came back carrying a foot pump. "Forget it!" This would have been 1958 or 1959.

Archived